123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WD Intros My Passport Studio Portable Drives
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: WD Intros My Passport Studio Portable Drives Reply with quote

WD Intros My Passport Studio Portable Drives
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Posted by: Charles

WD today introduced its new My Passport Studio Portable Drives in capacities of 250GB and 320GB. According to the company, the newest members of the My Passport family are designed for Mac users and are equipped with both FireWire 400 and USB 2.0 interfaces, a capacity gauge, and include a soft drawstring-carrying bag for protection from scratches and dirt.

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/955.html
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! A Firewire Passport drive! Shocked If they're as quiet as the existing Passport drives, they're going to be a real favourite with Mini owners.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a USB Passport for swapping out the drive in my Mac mini, but decided to keep it intact. I use it for TM backups now. Like JB said, they are really quiet. My only complaint about them would be the quality of the enclosure itself. They do feel kind of cheap. I don't think they would be very rugged out on the road. That being said, these new ones are styled a little different from mine. They might be more rugged now. Plus, they come with FW! Cool
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed with the look of this drive. I hope it comes in black as well.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: hold the praise Reply with quote

One issue that I have, if you see the photos on WD's site it's a FW400 4-pin port, which means that the FW can't supply power to the drive.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I'm impressed with the look of this drive. I hope it comes in black as well.

All of the Studio edition drives for Macs seem to be coming in silver. I kind of doubt that you'll see one in black. They do have the USB-only in black. I've seen them at Besy Buy a couple times. They also have them in a ton of colors.

dungeon92 wrote:
One issue that I have, if you see the photos on WD's site it's a FW400 4-pin port, which means that the FW can't supply power to the drive.

Yep, looks like it's getting the old power from USB.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
Yep, looks like it's getting the old power from USB.

That seems to be confirmed by this web page: "USB-powered"
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then, if you want to use it in FW mode you have to plug it into a usb port as well?
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
So then, if you want to use it in FW mode you have to plug it into a usb port as well?

Yep. It's also on the product page under system requirements.

Quote:
FireWire interface requires use of the USB port on the drive for power.
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a single cable with a 6pin firewire at the computer end and two connectors, presumably 4 pin firewire and usb at the disk end, at least according to the pictures in the quick install guide (pdf) and User Manual (pdf)
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris..S wrote:
Its a single cable with a 6pin firewire at the computer end and two connectors, presumably 4 pin firewire and usb at the disk end, at least according to the pictures in the quick install guide (pdf) and User Manual (pdf)

Yup it sure looks that way. That's alright then.
Just don't lose that cable Wink
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a Y-cable like that with two USB connectors for bus-powering an enclosure with a 7200rpm drive, but never one like that with FW. Interesting.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Looks Nice Reply with quote

This drive rocks!! The little indicator to let you know how full it is is really nice. I really wish WD made a hard drive with a hidden a USB cable already built in (like Lacie or the Icy Dock enclosure); in this case it be a hidden firewire cable as well.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Looks Nice Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
This drive rocks!! The little indicator to let you know how full it is is really nice. I really wish WD made a hard drive with a hidden a USB cable already built in (like Lacie or the Icy Dock enclosure); in this case it be a hidden firewire cable as well.

As long as the capacity gauge works. I didn't have much luck with the one on my MyBook. I've never seen the Icy Dock drives like that. I'll have to Google them up.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Looks Nice Reply with quote

WheelSpinners wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:

As long as the capacity gauge works. I didn't have much luck with the one on my MyBook. I've never seen the Icy Dock drives like that. I'll have to Google them up.

It's an enclosure, you buy the drive seperatly. Here's the link:

http://www.icydock.com/product/mb663ub-1s.html

I really like the way the USB cable hides in the back, it really helps when you want portability and don't want to carry around an extra cable. It matches Mac's in color too Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: