123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils iPod nano
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poisonfist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
poisonfist wrote:
The wiring of the lithium ion battery are soldered in place, it's not going to be as easy to replace by end users as the previous iterations.

Where did you read that? That would be bad news.

I'm Japanese. Very Happy It was stated in the tear down procedure.

328i sport package
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad! I ran the site through Babelfish but didn't get very good results.

Thats sucks! I would like to see what's underneath that tape/shielding on the bottom side of the battery. Does the breakdown say anything about that? I see it soldered to the top board. I'm heading down to the Apple Store this weekend to check them out. I would like to see one in person. Maybe they'll let me crack one open! Wink
RichUF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are they discontinuing the mini then?

Seems to have been removed from the front page of the iPod site...although you can still dig and find it.

Be nice...it's my first Mac Smile
Ranter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichUF wrote:
are they discontinuing the mini then?

Yes, the Nano replaces the Mini. There will still be plenty of Minis around in the retail channel for a few months to satisfy those that prefer it. I imagine once the Christmas rush is over you'll have to go to places like eBay to find a Mini.

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How dare you call an iPod a WMP! The reason they have USB and a win oranising system ( Can't you format it Mac with a Mac? And still, a windows system works works on eithere Win or Mac )

Wasn't trolling yesterday, just wanted to get that out before I reply. From what I was seeing from other forums was that you could not format into the standard mac format. and to the post down under the one I replied to. The feature set I am referring to is the one i had stated in my post. Dar-nit, I want to boot my ipod as a mac. been doing that since 3rd gen. came out and I want to keep doing it. what better way to hide files than to keep your computer in your pocket.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aristobrat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess we know how high "can be used as a firewire bootable device" was on the nano's design team's feature list? Very Happy

Well, looking at the nano from a MP3-only point of view, I think it's absolutely awesome. I never considered a mini because I'm not always gentle with my toys and didn't want to deal with babying it along because of the spinning drive inside. That, and the minis just never struck me as cool looking, unlike the nanos do.

On the brighter side frojo, wait a month or so and you can probably pick of minis for a great price. Smile
moldymac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the looks of it, the itrip will not work on the nano, doesnt seem to have that jack next to the head phone jack, a lot of things that use that connector to control the ipod are not gonna work on this ipod.
idave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the chance to play around with a friend's iPod nano today. They're going to sell a ton of these. The screen is really clear and bright, but a little more pixilated than its bigger brother. What impressed me the most was how speedy it is. Navigating menus seems a lot faster than with my 3G iPod. I just wish it held more songs. 4GB is really really really sad! I don't see how they'll be able to increase its capacity with these flash chips any time soon.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this Ipod is for the old-school pod owners out there that upgrade every other generation or so. The ones that just carry over there peripherals to the next model. This is for new users that want something small and easy in their pocket. Witch is a shame when you think of all the possibilities that are inherent in the form factor. Two gigs is just enough to load OSX on and a few choice programs to always have an instant repair kit on you, for trouble shooting macs under your control. or slap an Imic on the thing and stuff it in the front of your breast pocket for taking memos on the fly, or dictation for typing up later.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a nano today! Very Happy I went to my local Apple store yesterday to get one, but they said that the shipment did not arrive. So, I called them every hour on the hour today. At about 2:00 they were in. I took a late lunch and rushed off to the Apple Store and was lucky enough to get one, before they were all snatched up. (4GB Classic White)

This thing is great! It even sounds cleaner than my 3rd Generation 40GB iPod.

To answer some of the posts earlier in this thread, the nano ships formated for Windows, but as soon as you plug it into a Mac, iTunes reformats the nano for OS X. I think Apple did that, because the majority of their iPod customers are Windows users. Smart move on Apple's behalf, just think how many support calls they don't have to answer, because the iPod "just works" with Windows. Wink
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a 4GB black nano last night, but it hasn't shipped yet. Apple is still showing 1-3 business days for shipping on all nanos. I hope those times are accurate. I have read the black nanos are out selling white nanos. Maybe this will convince Apple to make other black products. I mean how cool would black iBooks be Cool
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my choice of Classic White or Black 4GB, or the Classic White 2GB model. They did not get any Black 2GB units in their first shipment. I would have settled for either color, but my personal preference was white. Most of my computer stuff is either silver or white, so it matched my stuff better.

My prediction is that this fall, Apple will announce a 6GB model and a wider choice of colors.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGN wrote:
I ordered a 4GB black nano last night, but it hasn't shipped yet. Apple is still showing 1-3 business days for shipping on all nanos. I hope those times are accurate. I have read the black nanos are out selling white nanos. Maybe this will convince Apple to make other black products. I mean how cool would black iBooks be Cool

Hey, that article says that I am an early adopter! I have not been called that since I purchased my first CD player back in 1983 for a cool $900.00. Those were the days $25.00 CDs with nothing to choose from except The Police and Maddona. Laughing
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:

My prediction is that this fall, Apple will announce a 6GB model and a wider choice of colors.

I can see a 6GB coming later this fall. I wonder what other memory configurations Samsung has to offer? I'm not sure about the nano coming in more colors since Apple came out with nano Tubes.

Edit - Congrats on the new nano!
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
mojofrojo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you can in fact format the nano for macs. And on the subject of color, hell yea it would be sweet to buy a black Ibook. Hope some one from apple reads these forums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: