123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mac Shopping...

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NadiaGeek
Member
Member


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 148

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: New Mac Shopping... Reply with quote

I just bought this Mac Mini a few months ago, and love it. I am a Web Designer, and find that the graphics card is sufficient, not great, but sufficient enough to get the job done. It runs fast, having 2GB of RAM, and I just love it. And it is my first Mac. However, I am also quite an avid gamer, and I would like to get a Mac that would have no trouble running graphic intensive games such as "Crysis." Of course I will have to use boot camp and install Windows, but hardware wise, what Apple Computer would be best? Would an iMac work, or would I need something like the Mac Pro?

Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
toulouse_jet
Member
Member


Joined: 18 Nov 2006
Posts: 119

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iMacs should suffice in playing 3D computer games. It would be good if you do not get the base model but at least the higher end 20 inch or 24 inch models. You may want to consider upgrading the graphics cards (you can customise this if you buy online).

Mac Pros are reserved for really high end gamers and developers who need every bit of speed that is necessary. Considering that a frame rate of 100fps in a Mac Pro and a frame rate of about 60fps on an iMac don't really look very diferent, you're better off with the iMac.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 11 Mar 2006
Posts: 1591
Location: Huntington, New York

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that an iMac has the graphics capabilities you are looking for. I would advise that you go to a store and have a look. There is some concern about the 20" hi-gloss screen and glare. Look at it from all angles, you may be better with the 24".
_________________
2.5 GHZ i5 Mac Minu 8Gb Ram
2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo Mini, 4Gb RAM
SE
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
NadiaGeek
Member
Member


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 148

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. With a PC, I know exactly all the hardware I need, as I've been dealing with them for years. I favor nVidia graphics cards, and know that Apple does offer them in at least the Mac Pros. But other than that, I am still learning the different parts, chipsets, etc. that Apple uses. But thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 11 Mar 2006
Posts: 1591
Location: Huntington, New York

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you would be better off with a MacPro since it has a lot more room for upgrading than any other Mac as well as your choice of graphics. I have one with a 30" monitor.

If you really want to be able to choose your graphics, how much or many HDs you want, and much more, you may be best served with a MacPro. It is an amazing machine.
_________________
2.5 GHZ i5 Mac Minu 8Gb Ram
2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo Mini, 4Gb RAM
SE
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
NadiaGeek
Member
Member


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 148

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
Of course you would be better off with a MacPro since it has a lot more room for upgrading than any other Mac as well as your choice of graphics. I have one with a 30" monitor.

If you really want to be able to choose your graphics, how much or many HDs you want, and much more, you may be best served with a MacPro. It is an amazing machine.


Yeah, I was considering the MacPro, because I would feel more at home when I'm playing around with the insides, it being a tower and all.

Do you have an Apple monitor or what? I use an HD 19'' TV for my Mini. The Apple monitors are far too expensive. I would just as soon buy a TV and have it for dual-use.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 11 Mar 2006
Posts: 1591
Location: Huntington, New York

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NadiaGeek wrote:
Bobaloo wrote:
Of course you would be better off with a MacPro since it has a lot more room for upgrading than any other Mac as well as your choice of graphics. I have one with a 30" monitor.

If you really want to be able to choose your graphics, how much or many HDs you want, and much more, you may be best served with a MacPro. It is an amazing machine.


Yeah, I was considering the MacPro, because I would feel more at home when I'm playing around with the insides, it being a tower and all.

Do you have an Apple monitor or what? I use an HD 19'' TV for my Mini. The Apple monitors are far too expensive. I would just as soon buy a TV and have it for dual-use.


My wife is a graphic designer and also studying web design now, she uses the MacPro. Yes with that I have the Apple 30" Cinema Display. It's a great monitor. With my mini I use a 22" widescreen, not an Apple. I agree the Apple displays are very pricey but it looks so good.
After rereading your original post, it did sound like you wanted to get inside of the computer so the MacPro would be just what you need especially if you are going to run a lot of pro Apps. We run CS3, Quark, Flash etc on that.
_________________
2.5 GHZ i5 Mac Minu 8Gb Ram
2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo Mini, 4Gb RAM
SE
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
NadiaGeek
Member
Member


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 148

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
NadiaGeek wrote:
Bobaloo wrote:
Of course you would be better off with a MacPro since it has a lot more room for upgrading than any other Mac as well as your choice of graphics. I have one with a 30" monitor.

If you really want to be able to choose your graphics, how much or many HDs you want, and much more, you may be best served with a MacPro. It is an amazing machine.


Yeah, I was considering the MacPro, because I would feel more at home when I'm playing around with the insides, it being a tower and all.

Do you have an Apple monitor or what? I use an HD 19'' TV for my Mini. The Apple monitors are far too expensive. I would just as soon buy a TV and have it for dual-use.


My wife is a graphic designer and also studying web design now, she uses the MacPro. Yes with that I have the Apple 30" Cinema Display. It's a great monitor. With my mini I use a 22" widescreen, not an Apple. I agree the Apple displays are very pricey but it looks so good.
After rereading your original post, it did sound like you wanted to get inside of the computer so the MacPro would be just what you need especially if you are going to run a lot of pro Apps. We run CS3, Quark, Flash etc on that.


On my Mini I run Photoshop CS (I have CS3 for my PC, though), Flash CS3, In Design, nVu, etc. It runs all that pretty well, but my fiance has a degree in media broadcasting or something, and likes to use Final Cut Pro a lot (complete work projects) but the Mini don't run it as well as it should. It lags on occasion, but I think that's a graphics issue. The company she works for bought her her own copy of Final Cut Pro, so it'd be nice if she could use it without it lagging like it does. I think a better graphics card, chipset, etc., would take care of that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 11 Mar 2006
Posts: 1591
Location: Huntington, New York

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely the graphics on the mini. FinalCut Pro does work, although Apple says it doesn't, but very slow. FinalCut Express would work but if you are going to use FinalCut Pro, then a MacPro is what you'll want. I used to use earlier versions of FinalCutPro and DVDPro on my G4 and they worked rather well, I also had FinalCut Express, it helped being an ASR, got me a lot of software and new OS.
_________________
2.5 GHZ i5 Mac Minu 8Gb Ram
2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo Mini, 4Gb RAM
SE
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
NadiaGeek
Member
Member


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 148

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
It's definitely the graphics on the mini. FinalCut Pro does work, although Apple says it doesn't, but very slow. FinalCut Express would work but if you are going to use FinalCut Pro, then a MacPro is what you'll want. I used to use earlier versions of FinalCutPro and DVDPro on my G4 and they worked rather well, I also had FinalCut Express, it helped being an ASR, got me a lot of software and new OS.


All right. Thanks -- again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.