123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

G3 iMac Won't Install OS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is the update.

It is a blue iMac G3 with a 6GB HD. I was able to reformat the drive in GUID using a Firewire cable, and everything went swimmingly with that. However, I tried to install Leopoard, and Leopard was far too big. So I picked only the necessary system files and I managed to get the install file down to 5.9GB, but that was still too close for the computer to install it. So, I am waiting on a Tiger disk. I have one somewhere, but can't find it. My buddy has one he is going to let me use, so we'll go from there. But, it did format through firewire, which is a good thing.

And I have heard that Leopard won't install on a G3, but it will if the HD is big enough. I know someone who did it. Although, I did read that even though it is possible, it runs slow and you can only install it in TDM. So, whether or not that is true, I don't know. I only tried Leopard to see if it would work in TDM, and like I said, I was able to format it and partition in GUID.

Once I get the Tiger disk, I'll let you know if it does install, and how it runs if it does.

I sorta wanted OS 9, but can't find anyone who has one -- and I'm not buying one off ebay when I don't even know if it will work. I'll just use Tiger cause my buddy has an actual copy of that.

Thanks again.

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so now I have another problem.

When trying to install an OS in the iMac in TDM, my Mini (host) will not boot from a Tiger disk or an OS 9 disk, but it will boot from the Leopard disk. So, until I can figure out why it won't boot from the CD, then I'm right back where I started.

Could it be because the Mini is an Intel rather than a PowerPC? That's gotta be the reason. So, assuming I am correct and that is the reason, how else am I suppose to install an OS into the iMac using target disk mode, being that I only have one other Mac -- the Intel Mini. I mean, maybe I'm not doing it right. In order to install in TDM, I thought you had to put the OS disk in the host computer, restart it from the CD, go to to disk utility, find the hard drive of the computer that is connected via firewire, and install. Or is there another way to do it that does not involve booting the host from the disk in which you wish to install?

Arrrrg

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: G3 iMac Won't Install OS Reply with quote

NadiaGeek wrote:
I reset the PRAM, etc, and still nothing.

Have you tried to reset the NVram? (This may or may not help) But it won't hurt to try.

Accordingly....

Restart your machine and keep the following 4 keys pressed down during the boot sequence.

( Command-Option-O-F )

This command forces the computer to go to the Firmware interface.

The screen will go black for a few moments, then in the top left hand corner, you will see a tiny set of text lines appear, including a sentence that asks you to release the keys you have been pressing.

Do so.

When you have done that...type in the following text commands.

reset-nvram

When you have done that.. Press the 'Enter' key on your keyboard.

Next.. Type the following.

reset-all

Once again, Press the 'Enter' key on your keyboard as before.

(In both cases : note the middle -) It must be present in both lines.

From that point on, your machine will reboot (restart) as per normal.

With any luck, everything will be functioning properly from then on.

Good luck

Aquafire

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I have a slot loading DVD Rom on my iMac G3. My Tiger Disks won't work. Probably because they came with my Mini. When it boots to the Disk. I get a Page of error giberish saying Kernal Fault. I'm notoo clear on Versions but I have Classic Version 9.0, I'm guessing 9.4 is Panther. Found all the updates online but they won't update my Machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may chime in on this Post, last night I download Xpostfacto on my iMac g3 (400 Mghz.) and tried ti install Tiger using my Tiger Discs I got with my Mac Mini. I got a Kernal error, stating the software was not for this computer. There was a page of codes...It took me a while to get it back. But I finally got my OS9.2 back. BTW, did the firmare update, so that is not the problem. I just want to put any OS that will run Safari or a decent browser. I tried iCab. Don't Like. IE 5 just doesn't cut it. So the only way I can upgrade is to buy a brand new OS of my choice. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: You're Quote Reply with quote

Fox,
Your quote made me wonder about something. I just got an iMac G3 400 Mghz 384 of Ram 10 GB Hard Drive DVD (Slot Loading). I tried installing my Tiger Discs that came with my Mini using Xfacto (at Hackersmovie's suggestion) & without using Xfacto & all I get is Kernal Panic...One of the first lines on error states this Software is not for this machine in so many words. Do you think if I used your Firewire Target mode technique, it would work? Thanks in advance.
Dino1956
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's an interesting one, Dino. The reason it is doing that is because your version of Tiger is specific to the mini, whereas mine was bought separately and is not specific to any particular mac. But if you start up from the mini and mount your G3's HD through FW Target mode, I think your mini would see it as an external HD and permit the installation. I don't know for sure, but it's worth a try. Mind you, it's possible that it will install all right, but when you go to start it up from the G3, it won't. Only way to find out .... Smile
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox,

I think I'm going to give it a try. I really have nothing to lose. I figured my Tiger Discs were just for my Mini. I'm not so sure as how to do all this. Smile Care to post me instructions ? Like 1-10 List in consecutive order. I'm new to the Mac & only read about Target Firewire Mode. I'm wondering though. Will the G3 iMac see the Mac Mini Tiger DVD or just the Mac Mini Hard Drive? Like I said, I don't know. Again if you could guide me with instructions, that would be great. And don't worry if I screw the iMac up, I only have myself to blame. Thanks for all the help.

Dino
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox,
i just tried it and it said there was not enough space for the tiger install. it seems tiger is over 9 gigs. at least that's what it said. s i aborted the mission, but it was very interesting to see how the HD of the iMac appeared. Very cool. I went into a panic though when I rebooted my mini & Tiger disk would not eject & kept on wanting to install Tiger. Man...I finally rebooted with F12 (eject) key down & it spit out the DVD and loaded back to my beautiful Leopard desktop. Think I'm going to see if I could just get a copy of Panther or at least something pre Tiger. Thanks for the help. I tried. Unsuccessful Result due to Hard Drive Space.

Question: What is OS9.2 considered? Is is "Classic" ?

Dino1956
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino, you could try to install again, but this time use the install options to eliminate things you don't need (like all the languages and perhaps some big apps like GarageBand). You should be able to do an install of less than 5 gb; at least I've always been able to. The other idea would be to free some more space on your iMac HD, or if you have a bigger one laying around (IDE), install it. I replaced my old drive in my G3/4000 iMac. It's much easier than replacing a drive in an Intel mini.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox, I would have tried that if I could, except the iMac HD had a big Exclamation point on it & when I clicked on it anyway, it did nothing. Question: Can anyone give me an answer as far as, should I be able to use the Tiger Discs that came with my Mini on another Mac ? Is it supposed to work with most any mac or are the operating systems mac model specific ? I'm new to this, so I don't know what you can & cannot do. I am getting a machine specific error in Kernal Panic...We are hanging here... when I used XPost Facto & when I just put the Tiger DVD in the iMac DVD slot loading drive. It actually states in the error, this disc is not for this computer. Thank you. Again, I just don't know what Apple allows & doesn't. Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it. I just need an education in Apple ethics, so to speak. PM me if you like. Dino1956
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
Fox, I would have tried that if I could, except the iMac HD had a big Exclamation point on it & when I clicked on it anyway, it did nothing. Question: Can anyone give me an answer as far as, should I be able to use the Tiger Discs that came with my Mini on another Mac ? Is it supposed to work with most any mac or are the operating systems mac model specific ? I'm new to this, so I don't know what you can & cannot do. I am getting a machine specific error in Kernal Panic...We are hanging here... when I used XPost Facto & when I just put the Tiger DVD in the iMac DVD slot loading drive. It actually states in the error, this disc is not for this computer. Thank you. Again, I just don't know what Apple allows & doesn't. Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it. I just need an education in Apple ethics, so to speak. PM me if you like. Dino1956

You can NOT use your INTEL mini discs on a PPC Mac.

You'll need to get a hold of a RETAIL version of Tiger, this will be compatible with both INTEL and PPC Macs.......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. You see, I kinda' knew in the first place that I couldn't use those discs but when I told everyone what I was doing, no one ever indicated I would have a problem. So I assumed, that it would be alright. But you know what happens when you assume! Smile Thanks. I'l get a hold of a retail version of Tiger.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked back over this post and I don't see any reference, Dino, to your mini being Intel. Perhaps I should have asked you, but if you had an inclination that this was relevant, why didn't you mention it? Suggestion: put the specs of your mini in your signature.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox,

very good point. i need to do that. thanks.

dino
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: