123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

G3 iMac Won't Install OS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want to replace the drive, you can check ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-iMAC-G3-4X-DVD-ROM-DRIVE-GUARANTEED-NOT-DOA_W0QQitemZ220229956820QQihZ012QQcategoryZ51039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I did that myself when I had a G3, but if you want to put a SuperDrive in the iMac, OWC has a slot loading SuperDrive for the G4 cube which would also work in the iMac G3. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

I'd go the ebay route since you have another Mac.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-iMAC-G3-4X-DVD-ROM-DRIVE-GUARANTEED-NOT-DOA_W0QQitemZ220229956820QQihZ012QQcategoryZ51039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I did that myself when I had a G3, but if you want to put a SuperDrive in the iMac, OWC has a slot loading SuperDrive for the G4 cube which would also work in the iMac G3. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Thanks a lot for all your help.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NadiaGeek wrote:
Bobaloo wrote:

Thanks a lot for all your help.

I'm happy to help, good luck with it. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought, you said with the System 9 disk in, it reads it and then the folder with the question mark comes up? That is the mac not finding an OS either internal or on the disk. Is your OS 9 disk an upgrade or an actual install disk? Does it come from another computer or is it a retail disk? If it's an upgrade you will need a full install disk. You should be able to install 9 on it with no problem and more so.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought, you said with the System 9 disk in, it reads it and then the folder with the question mark comes up? That is the mac not finding an OS either internal or on the disk. Is your OS 9 disk an upgrade or an actual install disk? Does it come from another computer or is it a retail disk? If it's an upgrade you will need a full install disk. You should be able to install 9 on it with no problem and more so.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:

No, it's an actual System 9 disk. The OS is on it because I checked it on my Mini. The iMac will automatically spit out the Tiger disk, although that's cause it's a DVD (something I didn't think of, here's my sign!), but the 9 disk you can hear spinning, and then it'll spit it out. The question mark thing comes up even when there is no disk in there, which I think is Apple Speak for "No bootable media found". Why it spins the 9 disk for a minute then spits it out, I don't know. But the OS is on the disk, at least according to my Mini. And it isn't really scratched or anything, so I don't know what the deal is. I just assumed it was the CD-ROM.

Maybe later, if I can embed a video, I will take a video of me trying to install the OS. You guys can see what it does.

Last edited by NadiaGeek on Mon May 05, 2008 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing, the System 9 disc did have a few scratches on it, so I burned what was on the copy I bought to a CD-ROM, and that one didn't work either. But both show an OS in the Mini. I figured that the Mini could read the OS even though there were some scratches because it is a more powerful drive, but even the other disc doesn't work. I bought the System 9 disc off ebay, and it did have a few scratches, but nothing too bad. I mean, like I said, the Mini read it. Hope that doesn't bother anyone, 'cause when I told people at another forum that I took what was on the actual disc and burned it to another disc, even though I bought the disc, they kicked me off the forum for talking about pirated media. LOL. As if it's pirated. I transfered it from my disc to another one of MY discs.
miniconvert

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What G3 is it? You say it has a slot loading drive but what CPU is it? How many USB and Firewire ports does it have? This will help some.

You might have trouble installing OS X unless the latest updates have been applied to the system. I have an old G3 sitting next to me that had OS 8? on it and there was an update that needed to be applied in order to run OS X. I had to hack up a file to fool the update into applying but in the end I had a system that was running OS X.

You might also consider a USB->ATA/SATA adapter and then using an external DVD drive. I find these adapters to be pretty useful for imaging drives or to temporarily convert an internal DVD/CD drive to an external one. Usually works well.
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniconvert wrote:
What G3 is it? You say it has a slot loading drive but what CPU is it? How many USB and Firewire ports does it have? This will help some.

You might have trouble installing OS X unless the latest updates have been applied to the system. I have an old G3 sitting next to me that had OS 8? on it and there was an update that needed to be applied in order to run OS X. I had to hack up a file to fool the update into applying but in the end I had a system that was running OS X.

You might also consider a USB->ATA/SATA adapter and then using an external DVD drive. I find these adapters to be pretty useful for imaging drives or to temporarily convert an internal DVD/CD drive to an external one. Usually works well.

It has two USB ports, but those are for the mouse and keyboard, I imagine. And 1 firewire port. It is a 400Mhz processor, and I believe it is a G3, but it could be a G4. I don't know. When I set it back up to work on it, I'll know more.

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NadiaGeek, scrolling down to the G3 section of this page might help you identify your iMac: http://www.lowendmac.com/imacs/index.shtml
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's 400mhz, it's definitely a G3, what color is it? If it's a 400mhz, if it's graphite, than it has a DVD ROM drive and probably a 13GB HD. As I said earlier, you might want to swap that out, as well if you are replacing the optical drive. I did both but not on the same iMac but they are together, so it's easy to do both of them. If it is a 400mhz and it's graphite in color than it is what was called the iMac DV from 2000. If it's another color, it's probably from 2001 and has either a CD ROM or a CD/RW.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
If it's 400mhz, it's definitely a G3, what color is it? If it's a 400mhz, if it's graphite, than it has a DVD ROM drive and probably a 13GB HD. As I said earlier, you might want to swap that out, as well if you are replacing the optical drive. I did both but not on the same iMac but they are together, so it's easy to do both of them. If it is a 400mhz and it's graphite in color than it is what was called the iMac DV from 2000. If it's another color, it's probably from 2001 and has either a CD ROM or a CD/RW.

Here are some pics I took. I should remember, but I honestly don't. I bought it like a three months ago. I played with it for a few days, got nothing, so shoved it in a closet until I found this forum. Maybe you guys could tell me what it is by looking at these pics. Sorry they are so huge, but the BBCode to resize them will not work. And HTML is off, so I dunno WTF is going on with that. [img=750x700]http://blah.blah[/img] is how you resize 'em, so far as I know.

iMac G3

1GB iPod Shuffle

2GB iPod Nano

Too Many PCs to Name

miniconvert

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have both a bondi blue DVD system and a graphite DVD SE system. Both have a DVD drive. They are both 400Mhz. On the bottom of that guy is a tag with it's model number, google that and you'll have your answer for sure. Either way you're going to need to find a way to get it running OS 9 first so you can install all the required patches for OS X. The lowendmac site talks about the update.

EDIT: Based on your picture I think it is an iMac DV from 2000. You're right, it lacks the DVD drive.

http://lowendmac.com/imacs/400-mhz-imac-dv-g3-2000.html

Or it is this

http://lowendmac.com/imacs/400-mhz-imac-g3-early-2001.html
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man i still have one of these.

You want to know how to set up the g3.

1. connect a external dvd-rom drive to the computer.

2. make sure you have enough memory the best i have seen these machines run at is with these specs.

512 megs ram

80 gig hard drive

You get great performance and function out of these computers with this setting.

3. install mac os 9 first. by holding down the option key on they keyboard on start-up. install this in the slot loading drive try it there first before trying to install it by the external drive

4. run the system update under mac os 9

5. update anything that needs to be updated

6. restart the g3

7. after restart has completed

8. you will need access to another computer you need to go to www.apple.com and find there support section for your machine and look for the firmware update and save it to a usb drive you can use in os 9 update the firmware using the supplied instructions from apples support

9. then after the firmware update.

10. go to startup disk under the apple menu in mac os 9 and select your mac os x dvd disk on the external drive and your machine will boot from it.

And you have successfully installed mac os x tiger.

Now if the cd-rom drive is d.o.a replace it and you have got it made.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NadiaGeek wrote:
Bobaloo wrote:

Here are some pics I took. I should remember, but I honestly don't. I bought it like a three months ago. I played with it for a few days, got nothing, so shoved it in a closet until I found this forum. Maybe you guys could tell me what it is by looking at these pics. Sorry they are so huge, but the BBCode to resize them will not work. And HTML is off, so I dunno WTF is going on with that. [img=750x700]http://blah.blah[/img] is how you resize 'em, so far as I know.

From the pictures I can't tell, it looks graphite, but is it blue? If it's graphite, (grey,) than it is the iMac DV and the optical drive is a DVD ROM. It probably has a 13GB HD. One of my iMac G3s was one of them, so I know. As I said, swapping out the Optical Drive fairly easy, you can do the HD at the same time. You might want to do that as well. What you could try is to connect it to your mini via Target Disk. Connect the two via firewire and then boot up the iMac, holding the T key on the iMac keyboard, the iMac should appear on your mini desktop as an external drive. Open up the drive and see what's on it. You could also try reparing it with disk utility and if needed reformat it. You could then try to install Tiger on it by booting up the mini with the tiger disk holding down c key while the iMac is connected and then try installing tiger onto the iMac drive.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: