123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

G3 iMac Won't Install OS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: G3 iMac Won't Install OS Reply with quote

Hi. I have a G3 iMac that I ordered off ebay. The guy claimed that it worked, but I needed to install an OS. So, I tried installing two different Operating Systems, OS 9 and OS X Tiger, and neither one of them would install. I put the disc in, it'll read it for a few seconds, and it kicks it right back out. And sometimes it won't kick it out, it just leaves it in and a folder with a question mark blinks at me. I reset the PRAM, etc, and still nothing. I know it's not the discs because I tried them on my Mac Mini, and they were fine.

Any ideas?

I had considered that the CD-ROM might be bad, but I'm a new Mac user, and have no clue how to replace it, how easier it would be, etc.

It's not as though I lost any money on the deal, 'cause the guy refunded my money and told me to keep the machine, so if I can get it workin', that'd be great.

Thanks in advance.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two immediate thoughts:
(1) Tiger install is on a DVD. Do you have a DVD reader in your G3?
(2) For OS 9, do you have an install disk or an updater? An updater won't install and it won't even start up a Mac.

You can install Tiger on an iMac G3; at least I did on my old G3/400. If your iMac G3 has a Firewire port, you should be able to connect it to your mini in Firewire Target mode, and then install Tiger from the DVD in the mini. Start up your mini, connect the two macs with the firewire cable, and then start up the iMac with a finger on the "t" key. This will mount the iMac's hard drive on the desktop on the mini. Then you can do the installation.
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Two immediate thoughts:
(1) Tiger install is on a DVD. Do you have a DVD reader in your G3?
(2) For OS 9, do you have an install disk or an updater? An updater won't install and it won't even start up a Mac.

You can install Tiger on an iMac G3; at least I did on my old G3/400. If your iMac G3 has a Firewire port, you should be able to connect it to your mini in Firewire Target mode, and then install Tiger from the DVD in the mini. Start up your mini, connect the two macs with the firewire cable, and then start up the iMac with a finger on the "t" key. This will mount the iMac's hard drive on the desktop on the mini. Then you can do the installation.

No, I don't have a DVD in the G3, so good point on the Tiger disk. The OS 9 was the full install disk, not an updater. And I was in fact wondering if I could install an OS using Firewire. I'm going to try that either tonight or tomorrow, and I'll let you know of my results. Thank you very, very much.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which G3 iMac did you get Nadiageek? Is it a slot loading CD or the tray loading CD. The slot loading would be much easier to replace and you could probably replace it with a combo or even a super drive. I've replaced both so I can say the slot loading one would be easier. What happens with the system 9 disk when you boot with the "C" key? Fox was correct about Tiger, if it is a CD drive not a DVD ROM drive, you won't be able to read it.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, how are you booting? you'll need to hold the "C" key when you first turn it on to actually boot from the CD.

Is this a slot loader or tray loader iMac G3? For either one, there are specific guidelines you need to follow to install the OS, I can help with both.

PM me if you like for more info/help. . .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
Which G3 iMac did you get Nadiageek? Is it a slot loading CD or the tray loading CD. The slot loading would be much easier to replace and you could probably replace it with a combo or even a super drive. I've replaced both so I can say the slot loading one would be easier. What happens with the system 9 disk when you boot with the "C" key? Fox was correct about Tiger, if it is a CD drive not a DVD ROM drive, you won't be able to read it.

It is slot loading, so that is good to know that it will be easy to replace. But I thought that because it is a CRT monitor, I would have to take it to a TV shop to discharge it, or else get my own discharge tool?

The System 9 disk will read for awhile, then it will be spit back out, and the folder with the question mark will blink at me. And yes, I hold down the "C" key every time I try installing an OS. Now that I realize that Tiger was a DVD, that makes sense. So, thanks for that. But I can't figure out why 9 won't install, unless of course it is in fact the drive. I am going to try to install using firewire, but I will want to replace the drive eventually.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with those iMac G3's; they're good computers despite their age. In fact they fly on OS9 (quite a bit slower in Tiger). I hope the Firewire Target mode works for you, NadiaGeek.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NadiaGeek wrote:
Bobaloo wrote:

It is slot loading, so that is good to know that it will be easy to replace. But I thought that because it is a CRT monitor, I would have to take it to a TV shop to discharge it, or else get my own discharge tool?

The System 9 disk will read for awhile, then it will be spit back out, and the folder with the question mark will blink at me. And yes, I hold down the "C" key every time I try installing an OS. Now that I realize that Tiger was a DVD, that makes sense. So, thanks for that. But I can't figure out why 9 won't install, unless of course it is in fact the drive. I am going to try to install using firewire, but I will want to replace the drive eventually.

no, swapping out the CD drive is not as big a deal as it may seem. once you take off the bottom, it is right there. I've done it on 2 G3s I had, but if you can install the OS using Target Disk, great. You can always replace the drive later.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
NadiaGeek wrote:
Bobaloo wrote:

no, swapping out the CD drive is not as big a deal as it may seem. once you take off the bottom, it is right there. I've done it on 2 G3s I had, but if you can install the OS using Target Disk, great. You can always replace the drive later.

So then I don't need to worry about discharging the tube that's in there?
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Nadiageek, it is not a big issue on the slot loading iMacs to change out the optical drive. I've done it twice on my Snow iMac and a Graphite iMac. Once you pull it apart, you'll see that it is not a big deal, the CRT will be safe.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
No Nadiageek, it is not a big issue on the slot loading iMacs to change out the optical drive. I've done it twice on my Snow iMac and a Graphite iMac. Once you pull it apart, you'll see that it is not a big deal, the CRT will be safe.

Cool. Thanks.
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nadiageek, here's a schematic of the slot loading iMac, you'll see the position of the optical drive.

http://www.mac-pro.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.29/.f

Also here are some detailed instructions:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2496/2001/10/howtoimac.html

scroll down to slot loaded iMacs. From your posts, I think you can handle it.
Good luck.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
Nadiageek, here's a schematic of the slot loading iMac, you'll see the position of the optical drive.

http://www.mac-pro.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.29/.f

Also here are some detailed instructions:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2496/2001/10/howtoimac.html

scroll down to slot loaded iMacs. From your posts, I think you can handle it.
Good luck.

All right, thanks. I have torn apart several PCs in my day, but never a Macintosh. The iMac I was a bit worried about because it's the monitor, the computer, etc. all in one. Tore apart a few laptops, but most of the components I needed to worry about weren't sorta jumbled in with the monitor. Plus the iMac I have is CRT, so yeah. But from the schematics, it looks as though it'll be pretty easy. Thanks again.

Oh, and the ROM? Where can I buy one that will fit into that computer? Newegg or something?
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nadiageek, you may not find memory at Newegg for the G3 iMac, the specs are Apple iMac/G4 168-pin PC100 SDRAM DIMM Memory. You should be able to find it cheap on ebay or other providers. The original specs said you could put up to 1GB, 2 512mb DIMMs, you may try 2 1GB DIMMS, I've only used 2 512mbs. check around, it should be pretty cheap.
AppleTVII
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
Nadiageek, you may not find memory at Newegg for the G3 iMac, the specs are Apple iMac/G4 168-pin PC100 SDRAM DIMM Memory. You should be able to find it cheap on ebay or other providers. The original specs said you could put up to 1GB, 2 512mb DIMMs, you may try 2 1GB DIMMS, I've only used 2 512mbs. check around, it should be pretty cheap.

I'm sorry, I should have put CD-ROM instead of just ROM. LOL. I wasn't sure if there is something specific I need to get to replace the bad drive. But thanks for the RAM bit, though, 'cause I want to upgrade that, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: