123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVD Drive Buzzing (and slow)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzbrew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: DVD Drive Buzzing (and slow) Reply with quote

When I place a CD or DVD in my drive - my mini starts buzzing very loudly. It almost sounds like a cable is rubbing against the fan but it ONLY makes this noise with CDs or DVDs. Any ideas? It also runs very slowly. If I reboot it - the buzzing continues but the performance improves. Strange.

I am probably going to pop the hood on it today and take look (I've done it before when I installed the memory after I purchased it - but it wasn't loud then).

Thanks in advance.
jazzbrew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: DVD Drive Buzzing (and slow) Reply with quote

jazzbrew wrote:
When I place a CD or DVD in my drive - my mini starts buzzing very loudly. It almost sounds like a cable is rubbing against the fan but it ONLY makes this noise with CDs or DVDs. Any ideas? It also runs very slowly. If I reboot it - the buzzing continues but the performance improves. Strange.

I am probably going to pop the hood on it today and take look (I've done it before when I installed the memory after I purchased it - but it wasn't loud then).

Thanks in advance.

As an update - I removed the cover and left it off. When I first insert a CD it makes a loud buzz when it spins up but when I import music on iTunes it goes away. Performance is better. Also - when I watched a DVD it was quiet as a church mouse. I'm going to leave the cover off for a few and see if it returns to it's old ways. Obviously leaving the cover off is NOT the idea solution.
andp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your case might be pressing down on the top of your optical drive. Is the top sinking in or to you have anything heavy on the top of your mini? All I have to do is slightly press down on the top of mine while a CD/DVD is spinning up and it makes the worst noise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: