123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 1
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: The beginning of the end? Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
SystemFault wrote:
Is this is the beginning of the end for PPC and Intel 32 bit support? No, that actually happened a while back with the release of Leopard and its dropping support for G3 machines and "slow" G4 machines.

I said it back then, and I'll say it again now:

When OS/X 10.6 comes out:

1) There will be no PPC support at all, and this includes G5 machines.

2) There will be no support for 32 bit Intel machines, both Core Solo and Core Duo (Core 2 Duo will be safe).

3) 2 GB RAM will be a minimum requirement.

If you don't have what it will take to play, I'd suggest selling the old gear while you can still get something for it.

Sorry dude I'm gonna stick my neck on the line and say you are definitely wrong. G5 support will be dropped after 10.6

Since Tiger was first released just about 3 years ago, I don't think you will see 10.6 for at least the same amount of time. How far have the systems advanced since Tiger came out? Did anyone think for a moment there would be Intel processors in Macs? Not at all. Whenever the next version of Mac OS comes out, the newer systems will get the most support.
Those who still wish to use older systems will continue. They will find support among other users. If you were around when OS X was first released, many stayed with System 9 and did not change over, due to software issues or whatever.
One can not predict what systems will be supported by a new OS until it is released. Technology changes, one day a machine is cutting edge and hours later it could be rendered obsolete by the next model.

As far as Apple's intention is to make money for shareholders, do you begrudge a business for that?? There was a time when people were writing obituaries for Apple, having been an Apple user since the 80's, I've seen the good and the bad. I am very happy that the company survived and is now in the position it is in. Another thing is that Apple was always first a hardware manufacturer and then everything else followed.

Since Leopard was just released, it will be some time before another will be. In the 21st Century everything changes, so you gotta be ready. (thank you Captain Jack.)
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
SystemFault

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The beginning of the end? Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
As far as Apple's intention is to make money for shareholders, do you begrudge a business for that?? There was a time when people were writing obituaries for Apple, having been an Apple user since the 80's, I've seen the good and the bad. I am very happy that the company survived and is now in the position it is in. Another thing is that Apple was always first a hardware manufacturer and then everything else followed.

I certainly don't begrudge shareholders anything that's rightfully theirs. I was merely pointing out the real responsibility Apple has because some posters may have forgotten.

I have owned Macs since my 1986 Mac Plus and I assure you that my investment is more extensive that 99% of consumer level Mac users. (E.g., I was one of the very first to have an fully loaded Xserve in his home.) My experience is that Apple has been on an accelerating track of removing OS and other support for older machines. Their stance now is that "you're only our friend if you've bought a new box in the past four years". And given the rate things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if the four year time frame switches to three years soon.

And it's more than just dropping OS support. Apple has also been dropping support for its applications on older hardware. Plus, there's also general feature creep (Dashboard, Spotlight, etc.); items that aren't really necessary but serve to add sufficient bloat to further motivate new hardware purchases.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: