123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The second-gen iPhone: 3G, GPS, only slightly thicker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> More News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: The second-gen iPhone: 3G, GPS, only slightly thicker Reply with quote

The second-gen iPhone: 3G, GPS, only slightly thicker
Approved by: Glenn
Category: iPhone

Engadget - "So we've got it on authority that the second-gen iPhone is already well into testing, and numerous units are floating around in super secret pockets. A trusted source got a chance to check one out, here's what we've heard."

Read more...

* We are in the process of changing the "More News" forum, so this topic might seem out of place.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: yeah Reply with quote

I saw that earlier today, it looks sweet and hopefully they keep the same prices and capacities.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: yeah Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
I saw that earlier today, it looks sweet and hopefully they keep the same prices and capacities.

I want them to introduce a 32GB model and drop the 16GB model down to $399. I'm not crazy about the black glossy back either. I like the brushed look and feel of the current model. Black will look all greasy with fingerprints in about two minutes. The glossy finish will also make it slippery. The 3G and GPS parts rock though! Cool
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to get the 8G model now its down at £169, there are only a few left in the shops now and no more stock being made apparently so when they have gone, they have gone.

I was going to grab one yesterday but decided to holding out though in the hope that as we get nearer to June and the expected 3G model, the current 1st gens 16GB models will start to ship to be off loaded as well. I hoping they will also drop to around £169 (£199) to try to clear stock.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's this for outstanding? My girl told me recently that when the new iPhone comes out I should get one! ...and give her my current 8Gb iPhone! You gotta love a girl that embraces technology!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As great as the iPhone is and will continue to be, I must wait until it is available to other providers than AT&T. The service they provide here is not the best so I'm keeping my provider and using my iPod Touch as an iPhone without the phone.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobaloo wrote:
As great as the iPhone is and will continue to be, I must wait until it is available to other providers than AT&T. The service they provide here is not the best so I'm keeping my provider and using my iPod Touch as an iPhone without the phone.

I'm already an AT&T customer, but they need to do something about that going forward. I forget when the contract is up. Anyone know off hand?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The contract is my problem, no way can I justify paying out that much money every month. Maybe if the iPhone was included in the contract as a freebie (like almost every other phone in the UK) then I might consider it. Paying out for the device and then getting stung for a contract is the reason I haven't got one yet.

I also make very few phone calls so I've never needed to have a contract phone.

Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
The contract is my problem, no way can I justify paying out that much money every month. Maybe if the iPhone was included in the contract as a freebie (like almost every other phone in the UK) then I might consider it. Paying out for the device and then getting stung for a contract is the reason I haven't got one yet.

I also make very few phone calls so I've never needed to have a contract phone.

When I changed providers, I got 2 phones for free and paid $30 for mine as they were out of the phone that I wanted that was free. I have a simple family plan that includes all three. Previously I had my daughter on a Virgin pay as you go thingee on automatic top-up which started happening every other week, ( teenagers talk and text.) With the new plan, I pay an average of about $99 a month and that includes my daughter's texting. Since I have the iPod touch, it does just about everything the iPhone does but make calls. My brother-in-law has the iPhone and if your are not in a dedicated wi-fi area, AT&T's internet is quite slow.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: ugh Reply with quote

People are too used to getting their freebie phones, if you don't want to pay the price of the iPhone and the freebie phone is all you need then it's not for you.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Anyone know off hand?

I believe they signed a 5 year exclusivity agreement. So, about 3 3/4 years to go!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: ugh Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
People are too used to getting their freebie phones, if you don't want to pay the price of the iPhone and the freebie phone is all you need then it's not for you.

I think your probably right, which is why I haven't got one. Laughing

and BTW they aren't really freebie phone. The contract price offsets the price of the phone.

usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
How's this for outstanding? My girl told me recently that when the new iPhone comes out I should get one! ...and give her my current 8Gb iPhone! You gotta love a girl that embraces technology!

It was my B-day last week and my wife gave me a photo of the iphone saying, "Coming Soon, free pass to buy the new iPhone when it is released" She doesn't embrace technology but she accepts my addiction Wink
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ugh Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
dungeon92 wrote:

I think your probably right, which is why I haven't got one. Laughing

and BTW they aren't really freebie phone. The contract price offsets the price of the phone.

Well, mostly free Laughing . I would love to have the iPhone since I would actually use the iPod features and 3G would be nice since most of the time when I go to movies, bowling, or much other than hunting or target shooting I'm in a 3G area.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> More News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: