123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Reports Record Second Quarter Results

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> More News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Apple Reports Record Second Quarter Results Reply with quote

Apple Reports Record Second Quarter Results
Approved by: Glenn
Category: Apple

Apple - "Apple today announced financial results for its fiscal 2008 second quarter ended March 29, 2008. The Company posted revenue of $7.51 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.05 billion, or $1.16 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $5.26 billion and net quarterly profit of $770 million, or $.87 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 32.9 percent, down from 35.1 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 44 percent of the quarter's revenue.

Apple shipped 2,289,000 Macintosh computers during the quarter, representing 51 percent unit growth and 54 percent revenue growth over the year-ago quarter. The Company sold 10,644,000 iPods during the quarter, representing one percent unit growth and eight percent revenue growth over the year-ago quarter. Quarterly iPhone sales were 1,703,000."

Read more...

* We are in the process of changing the "More News" forum, so this topic might seem out of place.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three comments.

1. It looks like Mac sales are still booming! Smile

2. Not much growth with the iPod, but the overall numbers are still pretty impressive.

3. I wish Apple would break down the sales of individual systems.
iLife's a Bitch!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple have been accused of stockpiling cash that they should be doling out to shareholders (I read that they have $9 billion in the bank), but to be fair, I think that they're going to need some of that to see them through the rough times that are on the horizon.

(In stark contrast, the Royal Bank of Scotland bought a Dutch bank last year for £34 billion. Now that the arse has dropped out of the global economy, they're begging their institutional shareholders to buy into an emergency rights issue because they need to raise £12 billion in a hurry. Looks like bankers aren't as smart as they think they are... Wink )
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
...the rough times that are on the horizon...

Whatever do you mean?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Whatever do you mean?

Hey Hackers, if that was sarcasm, you're supposed to put a wink at the end of it! Wink Smile
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Apple have been accused of stockpiling cash that they should be doling out to shareholders (I read that they have $9 billion in the bank), but to be fair, I think that they're going to need some of that to see them through the rough times that are on the horizon.

Cash is king! Especially during an economic downturn. That being said, I think Apple might be more recession proof than some other companies out there. They may need to adjust some of their prices going forward, though.
iLife's a Bitch!
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:
Whatever do you mean?

Hey Hackers, if that was sarcasm, you're supposed to put a wink at the end of it! Wink Smile

No, actually I kinda meant it! Are you making a reference to the "to all good things come an end" or do you have some insider information? Wink WINK Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
No, actually I kinda meant it! Are you making a reference to the "to all good things come an end" or do you have some insider information?

I was referring to the prices-going-up-houses-being-repossessed-workers-being-laid-off-banks-going-bust kind of thing that's been happening these last few months. Apparently, it's bad news. Wink

hackersmovie wrote:
Wink WINK Wink

Okay. That made me laugh louder than I should have done at 11:40 at night... Very Happy
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
I was referring to the prices-going-up-houses-being-repossessed-workers-being-laid-off-banks-going-bust kind of thing

I'm not sure what the news is reporting over there but, from where I'm sitting, it's not that bad. . .

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Okay. That made me laugh louder than I should have done at 11:40 at night... Very Happy

Glad I could brighten your day! Or evening as it were. . .

Laughing
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
2. Not much growth with the iPod, but the overall numbers are still pretty impressive.

I think regular iPod sales will continue to weaken. What Apple needs is a player like the iPod touch with iPod classic like storage. I think a player like than would put some life into the product line. The line now seems a little bring and dated. I could be wrong though. Maybe it's just the iPhone cannibalizing sales. I know that I'm waiting for the 3G iPhone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> More News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: