123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ive got a pc thats unused.Can i install Leopard on it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Ive got a pc thats unused.Can i install Leopard on it? Reply with quote

I dont mean dual-booting, as that apparently requires all sorts of illegal hacked dvd images.

I mean using the pc ive got (just a bog standard dell machine with some added stuff - 2600XT - 500w power supply etc) and having it as a substitute mac.

my mac mini isnt fast enough for me at the moment (hell, it cant even run in memoriam very well and thats only java style game)
and i see it as a shame to let this hardware go to waste.

will leopard install? (remember its not for dual-booting. will only be an osx machine)

why does it have to be mac hardware its installed on if not? (compatibility issues? what if all the hardware in the pc was the same as a mac pro?)
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google on OSX86 and Hackintosh. Mac's use EFI rather than BIOS. Also, OSX only has to cope with Mac hardware. Apple doesn't have to worry about compatibility with other hardware and other hardware vendors don't have to worry about compatibility with OSX.

Be aware, your EULA attempts to restrict you from putting OSX on non-Apple hardware.
Leander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.

id rather not go down the patch/dvd image/hack route.

i just thought that i could buy leopard on amazon and install it.

cant be done without lots of fiddling looks like.

never heard of EFI.

also the apple hardware only supported thing makes me realise why everything works fine without any driver conflicts etc. because it simply doesnt have to deal with any different configurations.

its a shame the machine will be stuck gathering dust..... could of course install linux on it. but i hate that OS with a passion.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you like Linux cousin, OS X...hmmm! Besides, linux don't put any restrictions on you or the machine.

Want to sell the box?
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leander wrote:
t..... could of course install linux on it. but i hate that OS with a passion.

You may want to give gOS a try. It's the most OS X "like" distro I've seen. It ran rather well as a Live CD on my Mac. I ran it just to see how it was (the GUI specifically) and it looks nice. . .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Leander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdawg wrote:
But you like Linux cousin, OS X...hmmm! Besides, linux don't put any restrictions on you or the machine.

Want to sell the box?

no to the selling part, sorry. i never sell pc parts/machines, might need em in the future for repairs etc.

as for linux. i tried loads of distros (kubuntu, debian, gentoo etc.) and found all them needing quite some work in the terminal (whatever linux equivalent is) to get things installed and/or working.

even involving recompiling the kernal on occasions, which i drew the line at and simply conceded that the OS was a work in progress and would be forever more.

also the linux forums id been on were of the kind where 'if you dont know something, we arent going to tell you'
leading me to believe that all linux users were elitist #@£$£'s.

i might look into gOS though.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
all linux users were elitist #@£$£'s.

They're called Linux crackpots. Laughing

The lastest versions of Fedora & Ubuntu that I've installed didn't require me to use the terminal for anything. Though I do like using the terminal personally. And the ubuntu install was on a Dell Inspiron notebook, even the wireless nic (dlink) installed the drivers by default. Debian is my main OS. I stopped compiling my own kernels because the stock one handles everything I need.
NadiaGeek

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why people say they hate Linux, as there are numerous versions out there. Ubuntu, Red Hat, etc. Ubuntu is really great. There has got to be at least one of the many versions that you might like. Try 'em out. I didn't care for Vizta, Slax, or Red Hat, but I absolutely adore Ubuntu.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like Red Hat much in earlier days, but lately I've been running Fedora 8 on one of my machines and been using it every since.

I mostly run Debian as main OS & Sourcemage on all my machines. I do have Ubuntu Feisty on a Dell laptop.
Leander

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knoppix is the only linux distro ive found that works with radeon cards.

cant ubuntu, fedora or anything else to work correctly or at all.

seems to me that linux supports nvidia only, even though there are new drivers for ati.
(the case for drivers being better on nvidia might have been the case with fedora 4... but its the same now and the drivers have moved on.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: