123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

partitioning cd-r's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raindrop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: partitioning cd-r's Reply with quote

hello, i'm a relative newbie to macs, but really like my mini. had it since may.

my question: when i try to save a file to a cd-r, i can save the first file, but appleworks won't let me save another-says cd is full. is there a partition operation i need to perform, or??? Confused Confused Confused i tried cd-rws, but didn't have any better luck. saves fine to hard drive, and it sounds funny, since i started with a commodore 64, but the standard hard drive 40 gig is not that big i wanted to clutter it up with journalling.

thanks for any help, and happy labor day!
nightstriker424

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: partitioning cd-r's Reply with quote

raindrop wrote:
hello, i'm a relative newbie to macs, but really like my mini. had it since may.

my question: when i try to save a file to a cd-r, i can save the first file, but appleworks won't let me save another-says cd is full. is there a partition operation i need to perform, or??? Confused Confused Confused i tried cd-rws, but didn't have any better luck. saves fine to hard drive, and it sounds funny, since i started with a commodore 64, but the standard hard drive 40 gig is not that big i wanted to clutter it up with journalling.

thanks for any help, and happy labor day!

CD-R is one time wirte only as soon as the CD is closed You cant write on it any more.
4gig Nano
raindrop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: partitioning cd-r's Reply with quote

right. so, if i save one small file to a cd-r, does that mean i cannot save anymore? i know that a cd-r has a lot of storage on it, so i guess what i want to do then is to journal maybe three months worth, and then save to a cd-r and number and date it. would that work? i can't see having a one page (printed) file be the only file on a cd, y'know? if a cd-r will store enough data for 11 or 12 song downloads, it ought to store 3 months of my journals, cause that is only 90 pages or so of print. makes me wonder why anyone would buy cd-r's except for music downloads.....i'm still used to the 3.5 floppys...lol.

thanks!
nightstriker424

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: partitioning cd-r's Reply with quote

raindrop wrote:
right. so, if i save one small file to a cd-r, does that mean i cannot save anymore? i know that a cd-r has a lot of storage on it, so i guess what i want to do then is to journal maybe three months worth, and then save to a cd-r and number and date it. would that work? i can't see having a one page (printed) file be the only file on a cd, y'know? if a cd-r will store enough data for 11 or 12 song downloads, it ought to store 3 months of my journals, cause that is only 90 pages or so of print. makes me wonder why anyone would buy cd-r's except for music downloads.....i'm still used to the 3.5 floppys...lol.

thanks!

Just wait until you have enough files to make it worth while. Text files dont even take up that much space on your HD
You might be intrested in a USB Thumb Drive
4gig Nano
aristobrat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: partitioning cd-r's Reply with quote

raindrop wrote:
right. so, if i save one small file to a cd-r, does that mean i cannot save anymore?

At work (using Windows), we burn CDs but leave them "open", which allows us to come back later and add more files.

Apple's gotta have a way to do this too.
nightstriker424

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it is open you cant read them. thumb drive is the way to go
4gig Nano
raindrop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: saving to cd-r's Reply with quote

thumb drive=one of those little flash drives that plug into a usb port? the ones i have seen in ads are about 75 bucks. i suppose price depends on size; i would want one that was approximately the size of a cd-r if i went that route. you are right-the text files don't take up much space on the hard drive; if i can only record once to the cd-r, then i will monitor the file size on my text file, and when it reaches just under 700 mg, i will drop it onto a cd-r. i don't think i will be buying more cd-r's-i bought 50 from best buy, and i bet they last me the rest of my life for text unless i step on them in the dark......Smile i really appreciate the knowledge!
castufari

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 1gb USB drive for 59.00, I keep a few things on it, like quicken, my address book, etc. With a 40gb drive I'd not worry about your journals filling it up - 40gb is a lot of text.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: