123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macessity Intros M4-Mini and M-Mini Stands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Macessity Intros M4-Mini and M-Mini Stands Reply with quote

Macessity Intros M4-Mini and M-Mini Stands
Friday, April 11, 2008
Posted by: Brian

Macessity today announced its new M4-Mini and M-Mini monitor stands for the Mac mini. According to the company, the M4-Mini bridges just a little over the Mac mini with a solid 0.1085" steel structure, powder coated in aluminum color. The feet are leveled with non-skid rubber pads, providing a sturdy foot hold while protecting the surface of your furniture. The M4-Mini also features a built-in 4-port USB 2.0 hub. The hub is mounted on the side of the stand, keeping the cables away from the front of the Mac mini.

The M-Mini stand is basically the same as the M4-Mini, but without the side USB hub. Both stands measure 13.8" (W) x 9" (D) x 2.3" (H) and support monitors weighing up to 60 pounds.

The Macessity M4-Mini and M-Mini stands are priced at $59.99 and $44.99, respectively. They will begin shipping on April 28th.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/931.html
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys have given the overall dimensions of the stands, but not the dimensions of the top-plate that the monitor base sits on. If they could provide the width and depth of that, then potential customers would be able to tell if the base of their monitor will over-hang the edges of the stand.

[Edit: the depth of the stand will be 9" (22.5 cm), same as the overall depth. But the width of the top-plate would still be useful to know.]
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
[Edit: the depth of the stand will be 9" (22.5 cm), same as the overall depth. But the width of the top-plate would still be useful to know.]

I'm going to guess between 9" and 10" based on the width of the Mac mini and the head on picture at the bottom of the product page. It would be nice to know the exact number though. I know on thing for sure. The base of my 24" Dell would be hanging. It's at least 14" wide.
happypig

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: heat Reply with quote

I thought you weren't supposed to put ANYTHING over the top of the Mini because of heat buildup. Why does this thing qualify?
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: heat Reply with quote

happypig wrote:
I thought you weren't supposed to put ANYTHING over the top of the Mini because of heat buildup. Why does this thing qualify?

It doesn't appear to be touching. There looks to be a good 1/4" of space from the pictures. That's plenty of room for ventilation. I think the warning from Apple is more about sitting a warm running external drive on top. The AirPort antenna is up there too. It's probably not a good idea to directly block that either. At least if you want the best range.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
I'm going to guess between 9" and 10" based on the width of the Mac mini and the head on picture at the bottom of the product page. It would be nice to know the exact number though. I know on thing for sure. The base of my 24" Dell would be hanging. It's at least 14" wide.

I think that's a fair guess, Ben. In cases like yours, it would be a good option to provide a wider stand with a lower maximum load - I'm sure your 24" Dell doesn't weigh 60 pounds!
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
I'm sure your 24" Dell doesn't weigh 60 pounds!

Not even close. It goes around 18 or so.

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/8994/mettheboyslr3.jpg

Well, make that 36. Smile
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o.k. 2 things:

1) is it just me or is this space ship design really ugly?

2) is putting a sheet of metal over top of your bluetooth and airport antennas a good idea? I think not. . .

This, for me, is one of the worst designed stands ever. . .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:

TBH HM, I like the no-nonsense styling; as we say in the UK "it does exactly what it says on the tin" (translation: it delivers what it promises) and looks as though it would survive a missile attack. I'm surprised that Macessity didn't offer it in a bigger range of neutral colours: brushed aluminium, dark grey metallic, white and black would be my suggestions.

hackersmovie wrote:
2) is putting a sheet of metal over top of your bluetooth and airport antennas a good idea? I think not. . .

Good point, although I'd be surprised if the manufacturers haven't already tested the stand's effect on wireless signal strength.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
o.k. 2 things:

1. Call me crazy, but I kind of like it. I think a Cinema would look nice sitting on top of one. It definitely looks better than the other one they make. I also like the side hub.

2. Two words: Gigabit Ethernet. Wink

I don't know guys. I would be surprised if that severely hindered reception, especially if your router is in the same room. I don't see it hurting bluetooth either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: