123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best way to check bandwidth speeds?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Best way to check bandwidth speeds? Reply with quote

Hey guys/gals,

I've just added a Belkin Wireless G to my network and am curious if there is any reliable way to check my bandwidth. Here's how I hooked it all up:
(feel free to make any suggestions)

It's this one. . .

Modem to Belkin Wireless G
Airport Express on Lan port 1 (Airport is needed for printing)
iMac and Macbook on Lan ports 2 & 3
Mini is Wireless from the Belkin (configured for "g" only with WPA2)
Airport is set for "b" only, for older iBook and iMac G3

The service I pay for from my ISP is a 10mb download 1.5mb upload service. According to a couple online test sites I am averaging about that. How reliable/accurate are these test sites? Oh! The reason I set two wireless networks is to separate the slower machines from the "g" network, there by keeping each machine running as fast as possible.

Thanks in advance. . .

BTW, each machine does seem a bit peppier than it used to. Compared to when we all hogged the Airport.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results from those sites can vary. But if you use them enough times you can get a fairly good idea based on you average times. See if your ISP can perform a test.

I'm currently working as a technician for the phone company. I have a meter worth about $2000 that I can test lines and connections with. We have other meters worth ~ $10,000. I also have a inexpensive tool called Dr. DSL.
http://www.aware.com/dsl/techdrdsl.htm
These devices cost around $50.
Some modems have diagnostic utilities built into them. Google your modem. You might get lucky.

The only way to know if your connection/line is optimum is to use tools like these. They will give you information such as... attenuation, noise and bridged taps.

Your DSL connection speed can be effected by devices such as microwave ovens, radio stations, T1 lines run near your lines, poor craftwork on wiring at multiple points in the network and many other external factors. Noise and attenuation can change due to temp, moisture etc.

Anyhow bottom line. Those sites are okay, but the only true way to know for sure what is going on is to use diagnostic tools over time.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Google your modem. You might get lucky.

I'll give that a try! Never thought of that! It's a Motorola SB5100 Cable Modem, if that means anything. . .

Bandit Bill wrote:
poor craftwork on wiring at multiple points in the network

I made custom cables for all of them. I don't trust those ones that come in the box, plus I want them to be white to match my other cables! Yes, I have OCD! LOL

Bandit Bill wrote:
Those sites are okay, but the only true way to know for sure what is going on is to use diagnostic tools over time.

So, can I just randomly and periodically check using those site? I'm just using it as a rule of thumb, nothing more.

Thanks Bandit Bill!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled it and this came up first!

Crazy Modem hack, what is it?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both your network and the network providing you bandwidth can effect your speeds.

Do you get your ADSL through the phone network or cable TV network? I'll explain more about the telephone network if you'd like. There are quite a few things that people do wrong that can effect your connection.

I'm not sure what that modem hack is all about. The issues it seems to resolve have never been an issue for me.

And yes you can periodically try those sites, but realize there are lots of variables that can come into play. The only true test is one between your ISP (Internet service provider) and your equipment.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable provider.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your bandwidth is shared throughout a cable network. If you're getting max throughput all the time then call it a day and consider yourself lucky. Likely your connection speeds will slow down at 6-10PM, or if your neighbor discovers bit torrent.

Cable ISPs never guarantee sustained throughput, because bandwidth is shared.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Your bandwidth is shared throughout a cable network. If you're getting max throughput all the time then call it a day and consider yourself lucky. Likely your connection speeds will slow down at 6-10PM, or if your neighbor discovers bit torrent.

Cable ISPs never guarantee sustained throughput, because bandwidth is shared.

Ahh.. so is there an advantage to DSL? Through telephone? I thought is was ultimately slower than cable. . . .
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable accounts typically offer higher maximum speeds, but sustained speeds can often be better with DSL. It's sort of like firewire vs. USB2.

If you are consistently getting 10Mbps with cable, consider yourself lucky. Your better off with it than a DSL connection. Currently my company offers 6Mbps (sustained) as a premium connection through DSL. We have customers who switch over to us, because overall they are happier with 6Mbps sustained. People who use internet during peak usage times and gamers tend to favor DSL.

It all really comes down to how many people are sharing your cable internet node. If you live in a subdivision that is contantly growing your connection may slow down daily. If they build a high rise next to you you may be in deep trouble.

Here as a little comparison of cable vs. DSL
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6536_7-726601-5.html?tag=arrow

Ignore the part about distance from the central office on the DSL. DSL is typically is run to remote terminals through fiber optic then sent to your home if you are too far from the central office.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Interesting BanditBill,
That would certainly explain why over the years I've needed to keep increasing the amount of bandwidth I pay for. Years ago, I got by on my local cable company's entry level offering. Since then I've had to exponentially increase my service. I am currently at their highest level of bandwidth offering and still, I seem to continually notice it slowing down. Of course over this period of time my usage has certainly increased as well. In my area I am only offered cable, no DSL. I live in, what I would call, a closed market. There is only one internet provider, one telephone provider, one electric provider, one trash removal provider, etc, etc. So while the town is small and crime is nil. It still has it's draw backs. . .

Thanks so much for the impromptu class in DSL vs. Cable vs. Bandwidth though, it is greatly appreciated!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: