123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would it take for you to switch to Linux?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: What would it take for you to switch to Linux? Reply with quote

In the car today, I was thinking about the enthusiasm shown by 123MM members like Fox, Ghostdawg, Aquafire and HackersMovie towards Linux. And with good reason:
- Most distros are available without charge
- Linux is very stable
- Linux runs on fast, cheap and readily available hardware
- Linux imposes no restrictions upon what the end user does with it (or as Eric Raymond puts it, using closed source software means that you follow the software company's business plan, but open source means that the software follows your business plan)

So the question that I asked myself was "Why do I stick with OS X? What would it take for me to switch?". I think that in my case, it boils down to software...
1. All Mac software is trivially easy to install.
2. There is a broader range of better written applications.

For example, you guys probably already know that I'm a complete devotee of text outliner programs. Off the top of my head, I could name 3 or 4 stable, feature-rich, easy-to-use outliners for Mac OS X. In contrast, the 3 or 4 Linux outliners that I know about are very basic, all have quirky editing methods and are unintuitive to install. And so this is why I stick with OS X - because Linux simply doesn't offer an alternative for my needs.

What about everyone else? What stops you from switching to Linux?
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fact I don't know enough about it puts me off. I will have to give it a try sometime, I may make a partition on my new hard drive but I think when it comes to how my computer looks I'm pretty shallow and Mac OS X looks gorgeous and does everything I want it to very well. Can any one recommend a version of Linux for first time users? Slightly off topic JohnnyBoy but what do Outliner programs actually do?
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried linux on and off for years probably starting around ten years ago with Redhat 5 I think it was. However every time I've tried Linux in all of its various disguises, I've always ended up switching back to windows within a few weeks.

The main reason I switch back is I just hate dual booting, as you always seem to be in the one OS whenever you need to do something in the other. Sad and I never found a linux distro I was happy to stay in 100% of the time, I would always need windows for something. Usually it was just I knew how to do something quicker in windows and time was the issue.

So for me iI just prefer to stick with a single OS which as a newbie to MAC OS X is currently my OS of choice. I've spent too much on Apple hardware to now go and run Linux on it so I have no plans on installing Linux. My only need for a secondary OS is maybe Windows XP on the MBP if it turns out I really need it for certain apps. At the moment I'm holding off and trying to do everything in OS X.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G - iPad Air 2 64GB
8TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 11TB Drobo S
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
Slightly off topic JohnnyBoy but what do Outliner programs actually do?

Check this link out that Johnny posted a while back all about Outliners

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14707

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G - iPad Air 2 64GB
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Cypher, for some reason I remember OmniOutliner being on mac when I first got it am I right or just going crazy?
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny mentioned it was a bundled app, but when I bought my iMac I couldn't find it. It seems Apple stopped including it sometime last year.

kez

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried giving Linux a go but I couldn't get it to work properly with Parallels so I gave up. I'm pretty pleased with OS X so I'm not dying to learn it but it would have been nice to see what the fuss was about. If I come across an old PC, I'll give it another go.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, the impediments for me are:
- lack of 100% MS office compatibility (I need it for communicating with colleagues, co-authors and publishers)
- insufficient understanding of how to do a lot of things in Linux that I can easily do on the Mac
- general happiness with Mac OS and applications
- level of experience with Mac makes it easier to get my work done on it

But there are compelling philosophical reasons to switch to Linux, and I'm not all that happy with the way my hardware choices are limited by what Apple makes. Maybe I'm just going through a grouchy phase. Ask me again in six months.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
.... Can any one recommend a version of Linux for first time users?

- Ubuntu or Kubuntu (same program, different GUI)
- PCLinuxOS
- Fedora
- OpenSUSE

All of the above are:
- easy to install on an Intel Mac
- all work with Parallels Tools or VMware Tools (easy to work with their windows while operating MacOS X at the same time)
- all have good GUI installers
- all are intuitive for finding and opening apps and installing software from their repositories
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years (many), every time I tried Linux there was always something that I could not get to work properly.
In the beginning it was video, then printing, also USB, scanning software was flakey, and now with PowerPC Linux no decent wireless.
So up to now OS X has been able to full fill all my needs.
In fact the very reason I first tried OS X was because I wanted the benefits of a nix based OS, and I figured that apple would have got it right, and I've not been disappointed.
If anyone comes out with a linux version that runs natively on an intel mac, I'll give it another look.
jb.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, linux is rough around the edges but has come a long way since the early days. I just made up my mind to use linux after being tired of Windows viruses, spyware etc. I really have no special need for windows at home other then sometimes for work purposes.

Mac, on the other hand is expensive before the Mini came out, and this is why I bought a mini, price wise. OS X is a very good and stable OS, but I think alot of Mac users like the hardware just as much as the OS.

Linux can be setup to look like OS X, Windows XP/Vista or anyway you want, no restrictions on customizing.

I've used Openoffice suite to help some people who needed a presentation slide show and it worked for them on Windows.

For those who like eye candy, look into Elive linux, though you may have to pay for it, but the Window Manager it uses is Enlightenment, it is a very sweet WM desktop.

Not sure if Yellowdog Linux has come out with an Intel version yet, but it is one of the original linux distros for PPC Macs.

For someone new that want to try it out, check out Livecd or to install, Ubuntu, Mint Linux, Fedora, or Zenwalk, to name a few. I would stay away from OpenSuse now that Novel is partners with MS. Razz
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb wrote:
If anyone comes out with a linux version that runs natively on an intel mac, I'll give it another look.

With the advent of Intel Macs and Boot Camp and/or Virtualization, almost any x86 Linux can be run on your Mac, which means nearly all of them. You may want to pick a 64-bit one if your Mac has a Core 2 Duo, and a 32-bit if you have a Core Duo, but there's a huge range of options for Intel Mac owners now.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
jb wrote:

With the advent of Intel Macs and Boot Camp and/or Virtualization, almost any x86 Linux can be run on your Mac, which means nearly all of them. You may want to pick a 64-bit one if your Mac has a Core 2 Duo, and a 32-bit if you have a Core Duo, but there's a huge range of options for Intel Mac owners now.

That's great...I can't wait till I get an intel mini or macbook...

...to be continued!
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
jb wrote:

What I meant by natively, was install and run without the need of having OS X installed first.
I'm not interested in having a mish-mash of OS's all installed on the same computer.
I purchased my PowerBook just so I could run PPC Linux, but without good wireless support it is kind of pointless.
jb.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb wrote:
What I meant by natively, was install and run without the need of having OS X installed first.
I'm not interested in having a mish-mash of OS's all installed on the same computer.

You don't have to have OS X installed at all. Just boot from the Linux CD and format the hard drive to whatever format you'd like, removing OS X completely in the process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: