123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone with a SSD hd in the mini?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Anyone with a SSD hd in the mini? Reply with quote

SSD hd's are getting cheaper here and there, so I was wondering if anyone has taken the plunge and install a 2.5" Solid State HD in his/her mini? It is said it is faster than a 10.000 rpm disc and way cooler! Cool
Of course one does not have much place for backup, but 500 gb/1 terrabyte discs are relatively cheap these days. I'm always amazed how quick a external 7200 rpm disc works via Firewire...
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheaper?

Do you mean the number of "very"s in front of the expensive has reduced from 8 to 4?

Smile

Its my understanding their read speed is phenomenal but their write speed is worse than a normal hdd. Given then a couple more die shrinks (2 x capacity at approx same price each time) and a couple more technology improvements (faster write speed, smaller cell size, greater number of writes per cell) and they'll be getting there.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris..S wrote:
Cheaper?

Do you mean the number of "very"s in front of the expensive has reduced from 8 to 4?

Smile

Its my understanding their read speed is phenomenal but their write speed is worse than a normal hdd. Given then a couple more die shrinks (2 x capacity at approx same price each time) and a couple more technology improvements (faster write speed, smaller cell size, greater number of writes per cell) and they'll be getting there.

I can buy a SSD of 32 Gb with SATA interface for 180 euro's, normally they are way more expensive indeed and for Americans the euro is getting more and more expensive, I know. Anyway, I did not know the writing speed is slower than a normal HD.
sandor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are still pretty expensive in the States:

http://tinyurl.com/25oucm

you can easily get 10x the capacity for 1/3 the price:

http://tinyurl.com/376nj3
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandor wrote:
they are still pretty expensive in the States:

http://tinyurl.com/25oucm

you can easily get 10x the capacity for 1/3 the price:

http://tinyurl.com/376nj3

That's pretty steep indeed, I guess this offer of €180,00/$ 233.00 for a 32 Gb is pretty good. Rolling Eyes
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Linux Reply with quote

I would like to get one of the 900 EEE PC's, but they cost $500 in part due to the cost of a 12GB SSD, but a 12GB SSD can go a long way with some of the stripped down Linux distros (eeeXubuntu). But also the price of flash in general, something about carrying 32GB of storage in my pocket that's decently fast to run an OS off of (20MB/s+ read, and 10MB/s+ write would be plenty for me) in the form of a flash drive would be nice, but it's still a bit costly (over $100 and fast ones cost over $200).

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just Wait..

Western digital and maxtor are working on cheaper flash memory sata drives.

Not in a big hurry anyways because the limit stops right now at 200 gig's on a lot of motherboards so you might want to make sure that your computer can handle the higher end flash drives.
Dutch_Mac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I treated my C2D 2Ghz Mini to a SSD from Mtron, the Mobi 3000 16GB (100 MB/s read and 80 MB/s write).

It's a joy to see any of the Office 2008 applications up and running within 2 seconds! Boot time is about 8 or 9 seconds Very Happy

The SSD didn't do much good as far as temperature was concerned. Idle temp with my hdd (Hitachi 7K200 200GB) was about 49-50 degrees Celsius, and that didn't change after installation of the SSD. Peculiar, and so I installed CoolBook and after some tweaking the idle temp is now a steady 48 degrees Celsius, and full load only 70 degrees Celsius.

The only disappointed about this SSD upgrade is the fact that I can still hear the fan, even though it spins most of the time at 1500 rpm or 1750 rpm on full load. The fan simply isn't very quiet, and so far I haven't been able to find a fancy silent replacement from a company like Papst or so.

Something to consider for those of you thinking about a SSD upgrade is the size of the SSD. Yes, 16GB is enough for OS X and all or most of your applications (I have 3,2GB of free space left), but you will most likely need an external drive for your data. I use a 1,5TB raid-0 firewire 400 enclosure so I'll survive, but a 32GB SSD would be recommended for apps like VMWare Fushion.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mooi man!
SSD's zijn hier goedkoper of niet? Cool
Dutch_Mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
Mooi man!

I bought the Mtron Mobi 3000 a month ago for € 289 at Komplett, cheapest I could find locally. That's $ 455, and more expensive than the current price of DVNation ($ 389). But it's worth every euro dime Razz
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch_Mac wrote:
James T Kirk wrote:
Mooi man!

I bought the Mtron Mobi 3000 a month ago for € 289 at Komplett, cheapest I could find locally. That's $ 455, and more expensive than the current price of DVNation ($ 389). But it's worth every euro dime Razz

Hihihi, sorry for speaking Dutch with my fellow Dutchman, guys! Anyway, @Dutchmac: I saw a 32 GB on "Marktplaats" for € 180 the other day, that why I started this thread! Very Happy Actually I just saw a few Trancend SSD's from 2 different sellers for way under € 200, one even for € 154!
Dutch_Mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, those SSDs you mention are terribly slow, you don't want to cripple your Mini! Niet doen Laughing

Currently only Mtron and Memoright models are interesting enough to upgrade your system disk with. But they do come at a price
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch_Mac wrote:
James, those SSDs you mention are terribly slow, you don't want to cripple your Mini! Niet doen Laughing

Currently only Mtron and Memoright models are interesting enough to upgrade your system disk with. But they do come at a price

OK, that's why they're so low priced! I wasn't thinking about upgrading actually, was only wondering how it would be...
kaidomac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch_Mac wrote:
I treated my C2D 2Ghz Mini to a SSD from Mtron, the Mobi 3000 16GB (100 MB/s read and 80 MB/s write).

It's a joy to see any of the Office 2008 applications up and running within 2 seconds! Boot time is about 8 or 9 seconds Very Happy

The SSD didn't do much good as far as temperature was concerned. Idle temp with my hdd (Hitachi 7K200 200GB) was about 49-50 degrees Celsius, and that didn't change after installation of the SSD. Peculiar, and so I installed CoolBook and after some tweaking the idle temp is now a steady 48 degrees Celsius, and full load only 70 degrees Celsius.

The only disappointed about this SSD upgrade is the fact that I can still hear the fan, even though it spins most of the time at 1500 rpm or 1750 rpm on full load. The fan simply isn't very quiet, and so far I haven't been able to find a fancy silent replacement from a company like Papst or so.

Something to consider for those of you thinking about a SSD upgrade is the size of the SSD. Yes, 16GB is enough for OS X and all or most of your applications (I have 3,2GB of free space left), but you will most likely need an external drive for your data. I use a 1,5TB raid-0 firewire 400 enclosure so I'll survive, but a 32GB SSD would be recommended for apps like VMWare Fushion.

That's insane! Very Happy In terms of performance, do you feel that it was worth the upgrade over your 7200rpm hard drive?
bub9001

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSD's are great and the prices are coming down. But i worry about the Write speed, i have heard that they are extremely slow when writing to the SSD. And any apps that require constant writes could slow it down to a crawl. I haven't been lucky enough to use a computer that has them, but i know it won't be long before i will.
You know the rest, no need to post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: