123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading to a Superdrive
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jameshughesuk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Upgrading to a Superdrive Reply with quote

I bought my 1.42 Mac Mini about six months ago now with airport/bluetooth/extra ram etc etc but didnt get the superdrive.

I am regretting this now and was hoping someone could tell me if it is possible to upgrade and if so how easy it is and how much will it cost?

Thanks in advance!
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Apple SuperDrive and while it has worked fine for me there are some limitations with it including the max. 4x DVD burn speed and its finicky behavior with various media. You may want to just find a good external DVD burner. If you want to keep the drive internal you could go with something like a Pioneer DVR-K05L.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather have a good external drive. I would get a Sony or Lacie. One of the best things about it is, you'll be able to use it in the future when you upgrade computers.
rdr07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the original poster, I'm regetting not getting a superdrive. I'm trying to keep the footprint small, so I'm avoiding an external burner. Has anyone installed the Pioneer DVR-K05L? If so, what were your experiences. Any info would be helpful, thanks.
thelox714

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i second the post about the LaCie.. i got the lighscribe version of it.. very happy with it

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10113
synergicity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the DVR-K05 and installed it myself. It works great and I've burned generic 8x DVD discs at 8x. Be sure to install RAM at the same time if you haven't already. Piece of cake if you are familiar with working on computer guts.
chillywilly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synergicity wrote:
I bought the DVR-K05 and installed it myself. It works great and I've burned generic 8x DVD discs at 8x. Be sure to install RAM at the same time if you haven't already. Piece of cake if you are familiar with working on computer guts.

Burned 8x DVD discs at 8x... was this in iDVD or using Toast?

A friend of mine got his installed (with my help) and he gets 4x burns under Toast, but only 1x burns under iDVD.

If you've got any tweak stories to tell, share away. I'm curious to get my friends fixed before I take the plunge for my Mac mini.
synergicity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chillywilly wrote:
synergicity wrote:

Burned 8x DVD discs at 8x... was this in iDVD or using Toast?

A friend of mine got his installed (with my help) and he gets 4x burns under Toast, but only 1x burns under iDVD.

If you've got any tweak stories to tell, share away. I'm curious to get my friends fixed before I take the plunge for my Mac mini.

Well, I just tested it again. I ripped the movie with MactheRipper, compressed it with DVDRemaster, created an image with DVD Imager, and burned with Disc Utility. The image file was 3.98 GB and it burned in 13 minutes 6 seconds (around 5304 kb/sec).

Now to be honest, I don't know if this is 8x. Maybe someone can tell us. This was on 8x generic DVD-R I got free when I bought a printer from Newegg.

Edit: with a little digging, I figured out that this is 4x burning. So I stand corrected. Disc Utility does not give a whole lot of feedback, so I went by the length of the movie divided by the time of burn. 2 hours divided by 15 minutes is 8x I thought.
hurley35

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: SuperDrive Add Reply with quote

I bought the Pioneer DVR-K05L. and I'm very happy with it. In my opinion it's much better than Apple's Superdrive and it's cheaper too!
chillywilly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool to hear stories from those who bought the DVR-K05.

So did you have to use Patchburn and what kind of configuration did you need to do to get it to work?
hurley35

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Pioneer DVD drive Reply with quote

Nope, didn't have to do a thing to get it to run. Installed it and started burning. I understand this only works with 10.4.3 though.
chillywilly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

So when you do About This Mac and choose More Info (System Profiler), what does it show for the drive details?
boxerfreeflow00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the same drive?

http://www.ultradrives.com/product_info.php?products_id=883
chillywilly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boxerfreeflow00 wrote:
Is this the same drive?

http://www.ultradrives.com/product_info.php?products_id=883

Same drive.
ufauxreal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came in to this section of the forums to see if anyone had posted about adding the DVD-r function. I am also sorry I didn''t get the superdrive. Ironically, it was one of the sales people at the Apple store that talked me out of it!

There is NO way I am opening up the mini, so I need to either get an external or pay to have someone install an internal one. The LaCie burner someone posted looks nice... a tad pricey! I see it comes with Toast... is that the preferred software?

Right now I see myself using the DVD drive to create slide shows with music, and also to back up my files. I can't see myself working with movies. Does anyone else have other recommendations for an EXTERNAL DVD drive?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: