123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading to a Superdrive
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickrick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ufauxreal wrote:
I just came in to this section of the forums to see if anyone had posted about adding the DVD-r function. I am also sorry I didn''t get the superdrive. Ironically, it was one of the sales people at the Apple store that talked me out of it!

What did they say to talk you out of it? I'm curious. I upgraded my mini to a 4X SuperDrive as a BTO. It's a little slow, but stable. I would have probably been better off buying a good external drive like you're looking into. You asked about Toast. Toast really the best burning software out there. It has a lot of functionality and the interface is beautiful. I would look around for a good price on the LaCie d2 16X burner with Lightscribe and Toast. LaCie seems to be pretty popular around these parts. Sony also has some nice drives, but they seem a bit pricey.
ufauxreal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I even considered a Mac, I knew I would get a computer with a DVD burner. So when I went into the Apple store and told the sales guy I was interested in the one with the Superdrive, he asked if I planned on doing movies. Well... noooo... but I thought for back-ups, etc. Every time I mentioned the superdrive, he would question my need for one.

Then I found out about this forum, and read where many felt the drive that came with the superdrive wasn't the greatest. So, I thought that maybe without coming right out and saying it, the salesperson was sending me a message.

I will check out the LaCie burners.

I just found this page....

http://snipurl.com/lacie

...talk about overwhelming! Which of these would be good for my purposes? I read a bit about the 'Lightscribe'. Is anything else needed besides the software that is bundled with the burner? Not sure how it works?? Does it require some special printer?

Is this an OK company to deal with, or should I keep searching elsewhere. Also, I am in no particular rush for this... would better deals be had after Christmas?

Thanks again!
slickrick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ufauxreal wrote:

Is this an OK company to deal with, or should I keep searching elsewhere. Also, I am in no particular rush for this... would better deals be had after Christmas?

Thanks again!

I've never purchased anything from ZipZoomfly. I've heard they are good to deal with though. You should compare their prices with Newegg's prices. What drive are you looking at?
poisonfist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have purchased 2 items from them in the past. Their ratings are very good as you can see here from Pricegrabber http://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_summary.php?form_keyword=zipzoomfly&sort=&form_keyword2=
I was quite pleased with the transaction, immediate purchase confirmation through email, track# mailed as soon as they ship. Really, no different from Newegg or other trustworthy merchants.

328i sport package
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing a little shopping around on Tiger Direct for a new memory card reader and noticed they have refurbished 8X and 16X external Plextor DVD burners on sale. I just wanted to pass it along, since a lot of people seem to be searching for one.

16X for $124
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1459445

8X or $73
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1465995
chillywilly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chillywilly wrote:
So when you do About This Mac and choose More Info (System Profiler), what does it show for the drive details?

The main reason I asked this question was that my friend that I helped install the Pioneer DVR-K05 drive into his Mac mini, it's not showing as supported under System Profiler.

Is there something (besides PatchBurn) that needs to be done for this drive to show up as being supported? Does he need to reinstall Tiger from scratch in order to get native support?
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/dvrk05.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The description from the store.yahoo.com link says the DVR-K05 support DVR-R DL, which from everything else I've read, it only supports DVD+R DL.

If someone can correct me on that. I know I've yet to see any other slot load slim DVD drive that supports anything other than DVD+R for Dual Layer burning. Plus, there are no DVD-R DL blank media, at least I've seen none.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It supports both DVD+R DL & DVD-R DL.
DVR-K05 description from Pioneer

DVD-R DL on Newegg.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

DVD-R DL on Newegg.com

Wow. Learned something new. Didn't realized it supported it.

Thanks for the info.
redrain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapest I found on Froogle:
http://www.nowdirect.com/direct/partInfo/part_detail.tsb?partid=23427
chillywilly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, redrain. That's an excellent price. Shipping is almost $8, but it still makes is about $3 cheaper than ZipZoomFly.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed my Pioneer DVR-K05 today, very pleased with it so far. I could of went for a faster external drive. But I didn't want to have a cluster of add-ons for my Mini in my set-up. I want to keep it simple and clean. My small external aluminum HD looks nice to my Mini, but having a big bulky DVD burner next to my Mini wouldn't have.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same with me, SOCOM.

I really need to get one of these drives and soon. I'm tired of having to use my friend's mini (he has the DVR-K05) to burn my DVDs.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chillywilly wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

DVD-R DL on Newegg.com

Wow. Learned something new. Didn't realized it supported it.

Thanks for the info.

You know what, after looking at my System Profiler when I installed my DVR-K05. It doesn't say DVD-R DL is supported, but DVD+R DL is supported for writing.
I know the drive itself does indeed support DVD-R DL, but does it have something to do with OS X restricting the burning of DVD-R DL?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: