123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Digital Audio Out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squid3660

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.... this is great news! Looks like I may be ordering a new mini after all. Thanks for your help, SR!

BTW, Im suprised Apple hasnt jumped on marketing their own toslink adapter for the new mini... im sure it would retail at $29.99 and would sell like hotcakes... j/k.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squid3660 wrote:
Wow.... this is great news! Looks like I may be ordering a new mini after all. Thanks for your help, SR!

BTW, Im suprised Apple hasnt jumped on marketing their own toslink adapter for the new mini... im sure it would retail at $29.99 and would sell like hotcakes... j/k.

Well they do sell this Belkin Optical cable w/ adapter. Of course, it's $29.99.. lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im trying to put together a quality, yet simple 5.1 sound system. Everything is in planning stages right now, but I could sure use some advice.

I would like to use powered monitors vice cheapo speakers. I have been looking at M-Audio's Studiophile LX4 2.1 with 5.1 sat expanders. I would like some advice on what to use to convert the optical 5.1 from the Mini to the LX4 powered monitors. I was hoping to avoid the big daddy sized/priced pioneer receivers. Anyone know of something smaller/simpler?

Many many thanks!
Squid3660

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after digging and digging and digging some more, I THINK I found the solution....
a dts decoder. Duh. Im still learning about all this stuff.

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=136&product=9468&nav=systemRequirements

Anyone ever use this? I gotta do some more digging to see what other decoders are available...
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it wouldn't go thru your optical out, but the Griffin FireWave connects thru firewire. Then it would connect thru six 1/8" cables with six 1/8" to 1/4" adapters, since your M-Audio Studiophile LX4 has six 1/4" jacks. Or you can get six 1/4" cables with six 1/4" to 1/8" adapters. Either way works. Just make sure your FireWave is close to the sub, otherwise you will have a lot of cables all over.
(they don't have to be Monster Cables, generics work fine)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also get something like Logitech Z680 set up. It has an optical input in the mini receiver.
This Klipsch set up also has an optical input, but the speakers are ugly..
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile I'm sitting here testing the mini-optical jack on the iMac G5 I scored for really cheap.
Had to go to Preferences > Disc Setup > Audio Output > Digital Out - Built-in.
It's working really good on Dolby Digital and DTS.
The new Mac Mini should work the same.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the digital audio out on the Intel Mac mini works like a champ. Plugged it into my home theater amp and it picked up the 5.1 signal no problem. As a matter of fact, it pumped out DTS-ES (6.1) using my Gladiator DVD as a test with no problems at all.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyh wrote:
Yes, the digital audio out on the Intel Mac mini works like a champ. Plugged it into my home theater amp and it picked up the 5.1 signal no problem. As a matter of fact, it pumped out DTS-ES (6.1) using my Gladiator DVD as a test with no problems at all.

That is good to hear. I'm looking forward to receiving my new mini and getting Front Row going with my setup. What brand/type of cable are you using? How long is the run?
jeremyh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just using a generic optical cable. No name brand that I think came with my MiniDisc player a waaaayyyysss back. The run is about 3 ft. One end is the short optical (TOSLINK) connector and the other looks like a mini jack 1/8" input but with an optical end.

Save some money and avoid going all out on optical cables. I honestly have never seen (em...heard) a big difference between them all. I'm using a Denon THX Ultra 2 amp with the Mac mini and it sounds awesome with the teeny little generic cable I'm using now.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyh wrote:

Save some money and avoid going all out on optical cables. I honestly have never seen (em...heard) a big difference between them all. I'm using a Denon THX Ultra 2 amp with the Mac mini and it sounds awesome with the teeny little generic cable I'm using now.

Thanks for the advice. I need to shop around for a cable. This is my second mini and it will be used purely as a HTPC/media computer with my LCD TV.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyh wrote:

There really is no reason to get an expensive optical cable. They basically all perform the same. Sure it's true about the grade of fiber inside, but you still usually get the same results. Optical cables are immune to RF and other interference. So there are just no any special features on those cables. They charge you a premium for a thicker protection sleeve. Which I actually need since I have a mischievous cat. But I still get generic..
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the new mini today! I am absolutely in love with Front Row and the remote. It's definitely a nice step up from the previous generation.
mdgolom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the M-Audio Transit for my G4 Mini. Loaded the latest drivers, plugged it in, and it worked like a champ. Sweet.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyh wrote:

I buy a new DVD player probably every 2-3 years. I usually find deals and there is just a feature I need to have for my movies, like say DIVx support, etc. I'm getting my new TV soon and I was looking at the upconverting dvd players. I know HD DVD and Blu-Ray is around the corner, but if I was going to spend $500 +, I'd rather just get the new Mini. True it wouldn't play those formats, but it would be an excuse to shell out for the new Mini. I'd probably still use my old PPC Mini at a desk or something, but of course the Core Duo would get used more. The 5.1 support and especially the DTS-ES is just making it seem more like I'm getting the Mini. Plus I can grab all my content off of my PPC Mini w/ the external HD, with Front Row w/ Bonjour, and that way I keep the slow small internal HD in the Core Duo (so I can keep just the Mini in my A/V rack and keep it clean).

Yes, random ramblings, bored this morning...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: