123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Digital Audio Out
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Digital Audio Out Reply with quote

Has anyone hooked up a Firewire or USB device to get digital audio out? I'm thinking of getting the M-Audio Transit. It provides analog audio in, plus digital audio out via TOSLINK. I want to play back DVD surround sound via my Denon receiver.

My Mini is due to ship in 11 days!
aplowe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the older M-Audio Sonica with my macs and it all works perfectly. Once it's hooked up the only weirdness is that you just have to choose the device in DVD player preferences ('Preferences...'->'Disc Setup' panel -> 'Audio output' pop-up). If in doubt read the DVD Player help pages.

As far as I know all other audio is controlled (as expected) by the options in the Sound panel in System Preferences.

Have fun,

Adam.
bruintoo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Digital out... Reply with quote

I installed Sonica Transit USB. Everything works fine. Ran into an early snag. Somehow transit only works with the USB port next to the FireWire port. Be sure to download the latest drivers from M-Audio site. I have the Sonica outputting AC3 sounds (this means you can't use the line-in port). Under system preferences I have all system sounds outputting to Sonica. Works great with iTunes. You need to configure DVD Player to output to Sonica - this works great too.
-Bruin
pillo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out. http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/firewave/index.php

It looks like the FireWave would fit nicely on top of the mini and has a lot of nice features.
bubba

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

putting things like this on top of your mini will hurt your wireless reception if you're using wireless.
bruintoo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO DIGITAL OUT fOR THE FIREWAVE. You can't connect it to your receiver but you check connect it to individual speakers (a la PC computer speakers). Check this email from Griffin Technologies which I received after inquiring:

From: Todd - Griffin Tech Support <support@griffintechnology.com>

To:
Date: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:11:48 PM PST
Subject: Re: Firewave Device Questions...

Hello,

1) No.

2) No, DTS is not supported at this time.

3) No.

4) Yes. The FireWave has three stereo, line-level out ports on the back that
output the following signals:

Port 1 - Front Right, Front Left
Port 2 - Center, Subwoofer (LFE)
Port 3 - Surround Right, Surround Left

5) That information is not available at this time, but should be posted on
our website once the FireWave starts shipping.

Thank you for your interest in Griffin Technology.

--
Todd Word - Tech Support
Griffin Technology
support@griffintechnology.com

> From:
> Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:41:59 -0800
> To: <info@griffintechnology.com>
> Cc:
> Subject: Firewave Device Questions...
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in getting 5.1 sound out of my Mac mini and was recently made
> aware of your Firewave design. However, I have some questions which were not
> answered by it's description on your website before I buy this product.
> Specifically my questions are the following:
>
> 1. Does it have digital out? Either optical (ideal) or coaxial?
> 2. It says Dolby Digital is supported. Is DTS supported?
> 3. Does it have any audio input capability? Analog or digital?
> 4. Does it have analog out capability?
> 5. What are the technical specs, i.e. frequencies supported, etc.
>
> Thank you for responding to this inquiry.

pillo wrote:
Check this out. http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/firewave/index.php

It looks like the FireWave would fit nicely on top of the mini and has a lot of nice features.

Lucky8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aplowe wrote:
I use the older M-Audio Sonica with my macs and it all works perfectly. Once it's hooked up the only weirdness is that you just have to choose the device in DVD player preferences ('Preferences...'->'Disc Setup' panel -> 'Audio output' pop-up). If in doubt read the DVD Player help pages.

As far as I know all other audio is controlled (as expected) by the options in the Sound panel in System Preferences.

Have fun,

Adam.

Where can I get one of those adapters? How much?
WJKramer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Xitel anyone? Reply with quote

This is my first post. I am looking at the mini as a great addition to my home theater system. I am waiting to see what apple will offer on the next generation mini (i.e. front row, remote, Toslink audio out, etc.)

I do however have one of these USB digital audio adapters that I am using on my current windows setup...

http://www.xitel.com/product_phfl.htm

If you read the FAQ on there web site it says it works with Mac OS. Anyone tried one of these out on a mini yet?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Xitel anyone? Reply with quote

WJKramer wrote:
This is my first post. I am looking at the mini as a great addition to my home theater system. I am waiting to see what apple will offer on the next generation mini (i.e. front row, remote, Toslink audio out, etc.)

I do however have one of these USB digital audio adapters that I am using on my current windows setup...

http://www.xitel.com/product_phfl.htm

If you read the FAQ on there web site it says it works with Mac OS. Anyone tried one of these out on a mini yet?

I know this doesn't answer you question, but how does it sound on the PC side? It looks like you get a boat load of cable in the box.
WJKramer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds great on the PC. No bugs that I have ever experienced and sharp sound. You do get a boat load of cable though. I Think the unopened box weighs about a metric ton! I opted for a shorter 4 FT Toslink cable I had laying around. I Should sell the remaining cables on eBay.

You get RCA, Digital Coax and Digital Optic outputs. I really hope apple builds Toslink capability into the next mini though.

I mean it would only make sense if they slap a Blue-Ray DVD drive and Front-Row in it.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see Apple including Front Row with the mini soon, but Blue-Ray is going to take a while.

Chances are the Pro HiFi-Link you asked about will sound great on the mini. They have OS X setup tips in the support section. I don't know if you saw them.

Quote:
My Pro HiFi-Link doesn't seem to work under OSX, but works fine under OS9:

Problem: After installing the Pro HiFi-Link it doesn't seem to work under OSX.

Fix: Sorry guys, the manual was written before OSX was released. The Pro HiFi-Link works under OSX using the generic USB audio drivers. All you need to do is plug it directly into a USB port on your system and it will automatically load the drivers. You'll then need to select it as the preferred output device, since OSX doesn't change to a new device now with the system preferences control panel. To do this go to:
SYSTEM PREFERENCES -> HARDWARE SECTION: SOUND ICON -> OUTPUT -> select USB audio.

This should now set your system so that audio flows out the Pro HiFi-Link.
WJKramer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Blue-Ray is a little out there. Heck, I think the technology isn't even going to be released until spring of 2006.

I just hope I can hold out long enough!

My dream Mac mini:

Blue-Ray HD DVD Super Drive
Front-Row or like application
HDMI or current DVI and Digital Audio Output

Sweet Home Theater PC!
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only does stereo/Pro Logic, but Turtle Beach's Audio Advantage Micro does an OK job for the price($21.99-29.99).

Picked one up after my Mini's 1/8th headphone jack was providing a hissing noise @ high levels on my receiver.

It was a cheap fix. Plus it's small enough that it fits like a USB thumbdrive.
Squid3660

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: New Mini digital audio output? Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I've been holding back on buying a G4 mini after reading all the negative press about the lack of digital audio for 5.1. Also, I didnt want to buy an external USB audio interface to connect my mini to my 5.1 system, especially after hearing all the problems experienced with Sonica and the other M-audio products.

So, I wanted to bring this topic back up in light of the new mini's... Does anyone have an opinion of the new Mini's digital audio output? Can I really listen to DVD audio on a new Mac Mini in 5.1 surround direct from the mini to a 5.1 system?
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: New Mini digital audio output? Reply with quote

Squid3660 wrote:
Hello everyone! I've been holding back on buying a G4 mini after reading all the negative press about the lack of digital audio for 5.1. Also, I didnt want to buy an external USB audio interface to connect my mini to my 5.1 system, especially after hearing all the problems experienced with Sonica and the other M-audio products.

So, I wanted to bring this topic back up in light of the new mini's... Does anyone have an opinion of the new Mini's digital audio output? Can I really listen to DVD audio on a new Mac Mini in 5.1 surround direct from the mini to a 5.1 system?

It should pass the 5.1 through the mini optical slot. You would need a mini optical adapter to get to a full size optical cable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: