123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WiFi networking / Overseas questions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davoosie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: WiFi networking / Overseas questions. Reply with quote

I might be moving to Seoul (South Korea) later this year for work, but I'm actually headed there next week to have a look around. One thing I was told is that the WiFi network that I will need to connect to (in office and lodging) is running on Channel 12 and Channel 13 due to local interference. But I noticed I can only connect to 1-11 on my mini. Before I go snooping around and changing things I shouldn't change, How can I allow Airport to access these extra channels? I'm going to be taking my Mini next week, so I need to figure this out soon.

Even though you can't use 12, 13 or 14 in the US, it seems kind of stupid of apple to limit what you can use for this same reason.

I'm running 10.4.10

Also Any issues I need to be aware of running in another country, other than voltage? And good Apple stores in Seoul?

Thanks
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can without some sort of firmware update. You might be able to pick up an wireless USB dongle that is compatible over there though.
CHOODALLS

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could get a wireless card sold outside the US and fit that in your Mini. For instance, here in the UK we have channels 1 through 13 all available. So it was a shock to me when I replaced my wireless card (for wireless n) with one from the US and found that not all my usual "g" channels were available. Still, my mini doesn't travel with me and so that's not a problem as my home network is now all wireless n.
I still have my old b/g card for my mini so if you'd want to buy that off me for $15 plus post it's yours! Be aware though this means going into the box and if you've never done that you might just want to buy a USB wifi connector when you get to Korea......
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58567

Looks like you'll have to pick up some kind of wireless adapter in the location you're visiting.

Don't blame Apple - it's an FCC regulation.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58567

Looks like you'll have to pick up some kind of wireless adapter in the location you're visiting.

Don't blame Apple - it's an FCC regulation.

I've never understood why the FCC doesn't allow the channels that foreign countries allow.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: