123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question regarding black bars on widescreen -

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Question regarding black bars on widescreen - Reply with quote

I have a 46" Samsung that I am currently running Connect360 to. I am not sure the technical term, so I apologize in advance.

When viewing a movie through xbox, the black bars seem to be unusually large. I am wondering if I pick up an Apple Tv if that will be corrected. If so I will seriously go buy one today. When I stick my hand to it the bar is almost as a big as my hand. I took a piss poor pic with my cell phone to show you folks....

It's frustrating having a good size tv and not being able to take advantage of it. Your help will be appreciated. Very Happy
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big question is -- what aspect ratio is the video you're viewing? Those black bars may indeed be correct for that particular video.

Are there black bars on the side too?
kyle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These movies are "widescreen" that been ripped. I guess I should look into it more. Confused The bars are only on the top and bottom. Maybe they are correct, I think it's a bit annoying though..
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle wrote:
These movies are "widescreen" that been ripped. I guess I should look into it more. Confused The bars are only on the top and bottom. Maybe they are correct, I think it's a bit annoying though..

Black bars are common on any type of television as movies are shot in many different aspect ratios, so only a few of them match up directly on your 16:9 television. If you force a movie to fill a full screen (regardless of the type of screen), you're altering the geometry of the picture (stretching or distorting it), or cutting off some of the picture (usually the sides). Either way, you're altering the original artwork of the cinematographer, and modifying the way it was intended to be presented.

I'd suggest some reading to understand why the black bars exist, and why they're a normal part of viewing movies in various aspect ratios.
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/764
http://hometheater.about.com/od/televisionbasics/a/aahdtvfaqs6a.htm
kyle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that they will be there as an aspect ratio. I was going through my collection and The Illusionist had bars that were around an inch. So that was great, now I need to look what was different about that movie...

I am trying to not stress to much about it... Razz
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Illusionist was shot in 1.85:1, so that's close to a 16:9 screen's 1.77:1 ratio, hence the small black bars.

Something like Star Wars is a lot wider at 2.35:1, so it will create larger black bars on your screen to fit at its native aspect ratio.
miniconvert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, ClunkClunk is dead on. You're running into differences in aspect ratio and it is completely normal. You're not "losing" anything at all so you should do nothing. If you tell the TV to "fix" the non-issue by stretching or zooming then you will lose proper aspect ratio or you will miss out on some of the picture. 16:9 is the ratio that virtually all HDTV is done in so it's the obvious choice for TV manufacturers to target.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your TV and there is nothing you should do. To "fix" it would actually be ruining the correctness of the film. This is an argument I've had people in the past who were so against the black bars they see on their 4:3 TV that they'd go buy the non-widescreen version of a movie. They thought that the bars meant they weren't seeing the whole image when in reality this isn't true. There are a few examples where this isn't true but they are far and few between.

You can read a lot more about it over here

http://www.reelclassics.com/Techtalk/panscan-article.htm
garrett222

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok we get that it screws stuff up, but if we're okay with that and we're trying to avoid burn in on our plasma or crt rear projection tv, then is there a way to make the bars go away?
miniconvert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garrett222 wrote:
ok we get that it screws stuff up, but if we're okay with that and we're trying to avoid burn in on our plasma or crt rear projection tv, then is there a way to make the bars go away?

If you're watching a widescreen movie one in a while followed by normal 4:3 or 16:9 content then you have nothing to worry about. The risk on Plasma is less of an issue today than it was a few years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: