123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

They are comming!!! New Mini's - big rumor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmcd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
A minitower would at least accommodate a 3.5" drive; hooking up one of those to a mini through FW400 or USB2 doesn't accomplish the same thing.

The perfect compromise to me would be a mini designed more like the Cube; slightly larger, slightly larger footprint, but better designed to upgrade the internal components. Owning both the mini (2 actually) and a Cube, I can tell you that upgrading the latter is much easier than upgrading the former. Aesthetics-wise, both are nice, but the Cube is more unique and nicer looking in my opinion - the nicest looking piece of equipment ever designed by any computer manufacturer. I would buy a mini in a Cube form factor tomorrow if it were available.

I used to think that way about the Cube which is why I got 2 of them. Unfortunately the cables are a pain with the Cube. You've got wires going to those speakers, wire to the keyboard, wire to the power supply, etc....and they are quite thick. Neat system but my 3 Mini's are nicer in my opinion. of course the Cube was ahead of its time.

I don't know why you want to move to 3.5" drives. That would be very short-sighted on Apple's part. Hard drives are getting smaller and are under assault by ram based drives. The future for hard drives is not great in Mini type devices.

By the time a video card needs updating it's time to move on to a new system. I really doubt Apple wants to get into the hassle of dealing with all the support various video cards would generate. Not needed in any case. The newer integrated graphics are more than adequate for most people. High end users have the Mac Pro model.

I do see where you are coming from. The Cube's graphics and hard drive were fairly easy to upgrade though I doubt many attempted it.

I think a closed expandable (via usb, firewire, etc...) unit is what is needed for the Mini. It would be really nice if that had hdmi, unlike the EEE Box.

philip

philip
FullGaz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranz wrote:

Im talking a new entry level or budget friendly mac here. Something that is not an iMac or Mac Pro. I feel Apple needs to offer something to those people who don't want to be stuck with a fixed glossy monitor and something that doesn't cost $2500 or more.

And here you have it: the Mac Mini. The only let down of the Mini is that Apple don't keep it up-to-date, but the concept perfectly fits the needs you describe.
Waiting for Mac Mini update to sensible graphics...
FullGaz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
A minitower would at least accommodate a 3.5" drive; hooking up one of those to a mini through FW400 or USB2 doesn't accomplish the same thing.

Well, that's a nail in the coffin of this argument:
http://www.hardmac.com/news/2008-09-29/#8928
As SSD drives become cheaper and faster, you would really find yourself silly with big noisy 3.5" hard drives now, wouldn't you?
Bachiano

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As SSD drives become cheaper and faster, you would really find yourself silly with big noisy 3.5" hard drives now, wouldn't you?"

Maybe I'm missing the point of the argument, but I think what some of us that want something a little bigger is not to keep old technology but to be able to extend the useful life of our appliance by being able to upgrade individual components without much hassle.

So, the SSD are coming down in price quickly but it is still a hassle to crack open the mini to stick it in.
Juan Ker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmcd wrote:
FullGaz wrote:
tranz wrote:
Im actually warming up to the idea of a mini tower and would gladly buy one of those in favor of an iMac.

And what would you do with that? You would regularly update you video card? Upgrade the RAM to 32G? Put 2 1T disks in there?
Do you guys only think before you write? Either you need high end and you can get a Mac Pro, with the computing power to support your needs, or you don't so you don't need expandability.
This is not a PC you're talking about, it's a Mac. Macs don't get expanded from the inside, you just plug what you need on USB or firewire.
Valid critics of the Mini are those who talk about the 3G RAM limit, the underpowered graphics chipset and the slow disk, NOT the form factor or the lack of 'expandability'.

[ ]

Why on earth would anyone suggest a not-so-expandable, not-so-Mini, not-so-user friendly form factor as a tower? Go get Vista for crying out loud...

Well put. As hard drives decrease in size and are headed towards oblivion, as Apple moves towards digital media file transports, etc...we still hear the calls of those who want the mini-tower model back.

One thing about Apple. They typically don't move backwards. We aren't going to see a return of the Performa with the built in sub-woofer and mini-tower form factor.

The Mac Pro itself has a very limited market that Apple targets. I doubt they really want to get into the video card of the month club for the decreasing PC gamer type.

The Mini should be getting smaller, not bigger. It should merge with Apple TV to provide the best of both worlds. If that means getting rid of the optical then great as far as I am concerned. Replace it with a memory card reader.

It's really hard to imagine a much nicer form factor than the current Mini. Quite flexible. It's surprisingly able for a system that hasn't been updated in quite some time.

philip

its a desktop machine not a laptop why should it get smaller?

sounds dumb

Paul
FullGaz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachiano wrote:
Maybe I'm missing the point of the argument, but I think what some of us that want something a little bigger is not to keep old technology but to be able to extend the useful life of our appliance by being able to upgrade individual components without much hassle.

Maybe so, but if I the point is to upgrade the memory or CPU then there is not much point in having a mini tower either. At the end of the day, if you wanted to upgrade your computer even say every 2 years then you would have to change the motherboard as well to accommodate the new CPU socket or the faster bus needed for your new RAM. In fact, you would probably have to replace all of the internals because of the new technologies. As a matter of fact, one can today upgrade the CPU and the disk in a Mini at the price of 'some hassle' or a small fee in many shops.
The only viable argument for a mini tower is to upgrade the video card from time to time. But then again, with a reasonable GPU in the first place you probably wouldn't need to change your card after 2 years either.
So what's left? Could someone give me an example of a real life experience with a mini tower? Even if it's only PC? So far, I've read a lot of hot air filled claims with no backing...
Juan Ker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a silverstone SG03, Its probably the closest thing to a mini tower, it house a q6600 processor, 4gb ocz reaper ram, 3 x 1tb hardrives and a geforce 8800gt 512mb.

Its currently running Mac OS 10.5.4 at speeds imac users could only dream about and it cost 650 uk to build.

Im not asking apple for a tower..

I simply want them to design the mini so it can be a low budget, but give us the options to have the same components the imac users, top end mobile cpu, video card etc.

make it the size of 2 time capsules ontop of each other use desktop hard drives which are cheaper then laptop hardrives

instead they sell us 1 with a dvd drive and 1 with a cd drive
tranz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FullGaz wrote:
tranz wrote:

Im talking a new entry level or budget friendly mac here. Something that is not an iMac or Mac Pro. I feel Apple needs to offer something to those people who don't want to be stuck with a fixed glossy monitor and something that doesn't cost $2500 or more.

And here you have it: the Mac Mini. The only let down of the Mini is that Apple don't keep it up-to-date, but the concept perfectly fits the needs you describe.

Im fine with the Mac Mini I just want it updated/upgraded. I am also fine with a Mini Tower. I just would like a new and affordable desktop from Apple. weather it be a Mac Mini or Mini Tower. Apple give us something new!
pmcd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juan Ker wrote:

sounds dumb

Paul

It may be a desktop system to you. To me it is an add-on to a TV. Smaller is better. In any case real estate in homes is not unlimited and even as a desktop the smaller the better (within reason).

Large, noisy, full of cables, etc...things are best kept next to the furnace.

philip
pmcd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juan Ker wrote:
I have a silverstone SG03, Its probably the closest thing to a mini tower, it house a q6600 processor, 4gb ocz reaper ram, 3 x 1tb hardrives and a geforce 8800gt 512mb.

Its currently running Mac OS 10.5.4 at speeds imac users could only dream about and it cost 650 uk to build.

I simply want them to design the mini so it can be a low budget, but give us the options to have the same components the imac users, top end mobile cpu, video card etc.

make it the size of 2 time capsules ontop of each other use desktop hard drives which are cheaper then laptop hardrives

Your wishes are not unreasonable. They just are never going to be met by Apple. Perhaps you should look into EFI-X Smile

Desktop drives are a step back in time. We are not talking Acer here...

philip
Juan Ker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmcd wrote:
Juan Ker wrote:

sounds dumb

Paul

It may be a desktop system to you. To me it is an add-on to a TV. Smaller is better. In any case real estate in homes is not unlimited and even as a desktop the smaller the better (within reason).

Large, noisy, full of cables, etc...things are best kept next to the furnace.

philip

lol ludicrous statement and apple says its a desktop replacement, and anyone who doesnt have room for a mini lives in a shoe box, people like you would prefer the mini use crappy atom processors aslong as it shaved an inch of the mini's size............

stupid idea

Paul
Juan Ker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmcd wrote:
Juan Ker wrote:

Your wishes are not unreasonable. They just are never going to be met by Apple. Perhaps you should look into EFI-X Smile

Desktop drives are a step back in time. We are not talking Acer here...

philip

and SSD's are too expensive for what you get, I wanna computer not a gimmick of a gadget unlike you.

that does everything not very well because apple have crippled it by making it cute n tiny Rolling Eyes
pmcd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juan Ker wrote:

[ ]

and SSD's are too expensive for what you get, I wanna computer not a gimmick of a gadget unlike you.

that does everything not very well because apple have crippled it by making it cute n tiny Rolling Eyes

Well the problem seems to be that I am happy with my gimmicks, as you call them, and you are unlikely to change the company that provides them. It's not as though there aren't other companies that will gladly sell you a "real computer". Heck you wouldn't even have to insult their customers in an attempt to make a point.

philip
Juan Ker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol listen to you acting like you know the mini is gonna become exactly what you say it will pff Rolling Eyes
FullGaz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juan Ker wrote:
lol listen to you acting like you know the mini is gonna become exactly what you say it will pff Rolling Eyes

Granted no one really knows what the Mini is likely to become or even if it has a future. But I think the joke is on you if you think that SSDs are only a gimmick. SSDs are actually today's disks in today's top of the range computers as well as tomorrows HDs in mainstream computers.
Major internet companies are already exploiting the speed of these disks to run their database systems instead of standard high-speed SCSI disks.
Putting a SSD in a Mini would not only keep the form factor small but also make it a step closer to being a very fast desktop machine indeed.
No one here is saying that they know the future, but you my friend are only showing your ignorance in the current technological trends.
And you are rude.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 38 of 39

Jump to: