123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

They are comming!!! New Mini's - big rumor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inners rock, but I have never really been a fan of the Mac Pro case. And I think it looks way tacky on something little like the Mac mini. I really like the current case to be honest. It is simple and elegant. I would hope that Apple stays with that bloodline. I mean something similar or even like the Apple TV with a gray top.
tranz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would prefer something more along the lines of the current design of the mini but hey I'll take a mini tower. I'd just be happy to see them add a new desktop to the lineup that is not an iMac or Mac Pro. Hopefully this happens in October.

Oh and i don't really care for a tablet Razz
Albert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE that design and would happily buy it.

I suspect it's just wishful thinking. A close examination of the image indicates that the power supply is internal, and I bet Apple doesn't go that way with the mini.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert wrote:
indicates that the power supply is internal, and I bet Apple doesn't go that way with the mini.

They did with the Apple TV, but I think it was a mistake. It throws off far too much heat in the cramped quarters. This wouldn't be a problem if they went larger though. Like something 3x the size of the current Mac mini.
Bachiano

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Like something 3x the size of the current Mac mini."

Yeah!!! Bring back the Cube Very Happy
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachiano wrote:

It doesn't mean much, but I'm pretty sure the Cube had an external power supply. I hear you though. Smile
pmcd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachiano wrote:

Have 2 of them. The Mini is quite a bit nicer. Things are getting smaller, not larger. We don't need a bigger Mini.

philip
Bachiano

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Have 2 of them. The Mini is quite a bit nicer"

yes I know!!!
I just mean a little bigger to add a little more flexibility and expandability.
And yeah the power supply should remain outside and they should definitely make that a lot smaller.

"We don't need a bigger Mini"

eh?
Who's we?
maybe you don't , that's ok.
but, I still would like to see a mac mini pro Smile
and that to me would be like bringing the cube back.
tranz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im actually warming up to the idea of a mini tower and would gladly buy one of those in favor of an iMac.
FullGaz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranz wrote:
Im actually warming up to the idea of a mini tower and would gladly buy one of those in favor of an iMac.

And what would you do with that? You would regularly update you video card? Upgrade the RAM to 32G? Put 2 1T disks in there?
Do you guys only think before you write? Either you need high end and you can get a Mac Pro, with the computing power to support your needs, or you don't so you don't need expandability.
This is not a PC you're talking about, it's a Mac. Macs don't get expanded from the inside, you just plug what you need on USB or firewire.
Valid critics of the Mini are those who talk about the 3G RAM limit, the underpowered graphics chipset and the slow disk, NOT the form factor or the lack of 'expandability'.
Moreover, PC users might be used to chasing after drivers but Mac users don't want that at all. I mean it: most Mac users can't get bothered with chasing after drivers.
Apple current offering has got to be one of the best that can be, notwithstanding the current state of the poor Mini. If only it was kept technologically up-to-date...
Meanwhile, here's what you get from Apple: a choice of headless or integrated desktops, a choice of laptops from the thinest to the most powerful, a series of mobile platforms including some of the most sophisticated ones on the market today.
All are silent, green and do their job well out of the box.

Why on earth would anyone suggest a not-so-expandable, not-so-Mini, not-so-user friendly form factor as a tower? Go get Vista for crying out loud...
Waiting for Mac Mini update to sensible graphics...
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with you, FullGaz, but it may be partly on semantics on what a minitower actually is. A standard PC minitower doesn't appeal to me aesthetically, but I would sure like the ability to change internal components as easily on a mini as I could on a PC minitower. And there are minitowers that do have nice looking designs. I would put the slim HP ones in that category; I would be pleased to have something like that.

But to me, it isn't as much a question of expandability as it is to accommodate upgrades. The underpowered graphics chipset and slow disk you mentioned are two reasons why a minitower-type form factor would be helpful. Same with the CPU. Only the latter can be upgraded in the mini, and with more aggravation than should be necessary. A minitower would at least accommodate a 3.5" drive; hooking up one of those to a mini through FW400 or USB2 doesn't accomplish the same thing.

The perfect compromise to me would be a mini designed more like the Cube; slightly larger, slightly larger footprint, but better designed to upgrade the internal components. Owning both the mini (2 actually) and a Cube, I can tell you that upgrading the latter is much easier than upgrading the former. Aesthetics-wise, both are nice, but the Cube is more unique and nicer looking in my opinion - the nicest looking piece of equipment ever designed by any computer manufacturer. I would buy a mini in a Cube form factor tomorrow if it were available.
FullGaz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Owning both the mini (2 actually) and a Cube, I can tell you that upgrading the latter is much easier than upgrading the former.

Ok, I'm not going to argue with the obvious. But out of the curiosity, what exactly have you upgraded in your cube in the past 2 years and how much did that cost you?
Waiting for Mac Mini update to sensible graphics...
Bachiano

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" I would buy a mini in a Cube form factor tomorrow if it were available"

Here Here!! That would be beautiful !!!
tranz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FullGaz wrote:

And what would you do with that? You would regularly update you video card? Upgrade the RAM to 32G? Put 2 1T disks in there?
Do you guys only think before you write? Either you need high end and you can get a Mac Pro, with the computing power to support your needs, or you don't so you don't need expandability.
This is not a PC you're talking about, it's a Mac. Macs don't get expanded from the inside, you just plug what you need on USB or firewire.
Valid critics of the Mini are those who talk about the 3G RAM limit, the underpowered graphics chipset and the slow disk, NOT the form factor or the lack of 'expandability'.
Moreover, PC users might be used to chasing after drivers but Mac users don't want that at all. I mean it: most Mac users can't get bothered with chasing after drivers.
Apple current offering has got to be one of the best that can be, notwithstanding the current state of the poor Mini. If only it was kept technologically up-to-date...
Meanwhile, here's what you get from Apple: a choice of headless or integrated desktops, a choice of laptops from the thinest to the most powerful, a series of mobile platforms including some of the most sophisticated ones on the market today.
All are silent, green and do their job well out of the box.

Why on earth would anyone suggest a not-so-expandable, not-so-Mini, not-so-user friendly form factor as a tower? Go get Vista for crying out loud...

Im talking a new entry level or budget friendly mac here. Something that is not an iMac or Mac Pro. I feel Apple needs to offer something to those people who don't want to be stuck with a fixed glossy monitor and something that doesn't cost $2500 or more.
pmcd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FullGaz wrote:
tranz wrote:

[ ]

Well put. As hard drives decrease in size and are headed towards oblivion, as Apple moves towards digital media file transports, etc...we still hear the calls of those who want the mini-tower model back.

One thing about Apple. They typically don't move backwards. We aren't going to see a return of the Performa with the built in sub-woofer and mini-tower form factor.

The Mac Pro itself has a very limited market that Apple targets. I doubt they really want to get into the video card of the month club for the decreasing PC gamer type.

The Mini should be getting smaller, not bigger. It should merge with Apple TV to provide the best of both worlds. If that means getting rid of the optical then great as far as I am concerned. Replace it with a memory card reader.

It's really hard to imagine a much nicer form factor than the current Mini. Quite flexible. It's surprisingly able for a system that hasn't been updated in quite some time.

philip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 37 of 39

Jump to: