123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

They are comming!!! New Mini's - big rumor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
libbeyco

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New mac Mini's ??? Reply with quote

[quote="scooper"]
Those little HP Slimlines are cool looking, but the thought of runnning Vista 24/7 just brings a tear to my eye. I do have a question though. Where did you find one with Blu-ray for under $500? That's a good deal![/quote]

ubid.com
Running Vista isn't all that bad..Just turn off the stupid pop ups that come up everytime you want to do anything..Like "are you sure you want to do this, that and the other thing?" HA!!!
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: New mac Mini's ??? Reply with quote

[quote="libbeyco"]
ubid.com
Running Vista isn't all that bad..Just turn off the stupid pop ups that come up everytime you want to do anything..Like "are you sure you want to do this, that and the other thing?" HA!!![/quote]

Nice find. I haven't been on uBid in a long time.

As for Vista. I'm not going to stick up for it, but I know what you're saying. Once you turn all that crap off, it's basically XP with an updated look and better search. That being said, it still suffers from all the same old downfalls.
iCrud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You heard it here first. The new Mac mini (notice I didn't say minis) will be the same size as the Apple TV and Time Capsule, but two inches tall. This will allow the new model to have a 3.5" HDD.

Here are the rest of the specs:

- 2.4GHz Penryn C2D
- 2GB of RAM
- Intel GMA x3100
- 500GB 3.5" HDD (750GB CTO option)
- 802.11n with Bluetooth
- SuperDrive
- Apple keyboard with Mighty Mouse

The top will be gray plastic with a black Apple logo. The rest will look the same, but the IR port will be moved down near the LED light. This will look similar to the Apple TV.

The price:

- $699

Oh yeah, the Apple Remote is now an add-on. Wink

Last edited by iCrud on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
fhall1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an eSATA connector and doing away with Firewire?
stkupprnc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a newbie and notice icrud seems to know what the new specs are going to be...any idea on when it will be released? I am about to pull the trigger on getting a C2D mini and would love to have that one.

Thanks
iCrud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fhall1"]How about an eSATA connector and doing away with Firewire?[/quote]

Personally, I would rather see a second display port and firewire remain.

[quote="stkupprnc"]I am a newbie and notice icrud seems to know what the new specs are going to be...any idea on when it will be released? I am about to pull the trigger on getting a C2D mini and would love to have that one.[/quote]

Actually, that is my dream machine and best guestimate. I don't have any inside information or anything. Most of the upgrades seem logical though.
dag777

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="iCrud"]You heard it here first. The new Mac mini (notice I didn't say minis) will be the same size as the Apple TV and Time Capsule, but two inches tall. This will allow the new model to have a 3.5" HDD.

- 2.4GHz Penryn C2D
- 2GB of RAM
- Intel GMA x3100
- 802.11n with Bluetooth
- SuperDrive

The top will be gray plastic with a black Apple logo. The rest will look the same, but the IR port will be moved down near the LED light. This will look similar to the Apple TV.

The price:

- $699

Oh yeah, the Apple Remote is now an add-on. Wink[/quote]

Hey if this will be true (with the 3,5'' HDD and it maight be something on it, according to next rumor http://www.looprumors.com/article.php?slimmer-imacs-mac-minis-coming,422101511) I will "forgive" Apple, that they try to sell us almost a year old chipset as a brand new Smile

Mac Mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB XT 7200 RPM HDD

iPhone 3GS 32GB

G4 1,25 DP PowerMac
donnchadh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is an attempt to understand the why's behind Apple. The Mac mini serves two purposes: 1) it's Apple's answer to a low cost PC and 2) it's a way to attract PC people over to Mac, especially those not willing to spend big bucks for an iMac.

The Mac mini is on the bottom of the Apple food chain; which has it's advantages and disadvantages. By the time Apple engineers have worked out the designs and bugs for iMac's, & MacBooks most of the R&D expense has already been done. The Mac Mini basically shares laptop technology, so is dependent on their development.

So, with Intel wanting to start phasing out M platform processors, Apple was forced to either drop the Mac Mini or upgrade it to the P platform.

Based on the bottom tier of Apple laptops, I would expect the slower speed P processors to be offered. Bus speed raised on the new motherboard re-design. Ram options up to 4 Gigs. Same Combi- and Superdrives. Same Mac mini enclosure/chassis (maybe different colored plastic exterior) same shape, size. Two and a half inch 5400 rpm HD, with two sizes offered. Intel GMA x3100 video.

They can't make a Mac Mini better then the lower range of a laptop or they would be downselling.

It's up to the hackers to do that Wink

I am going to wait. I think the Mac mini is overdue for an upgrade and I would hate buying one now and then find out an improved version is comming out.

Just my guess.

Donnchadh
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This rumour of a smaller form factor makes me wonder if they aren't going to drop the optical drive like they did for the MacBook Air. I really can't see the point of making the mini's form factor any smaller than it already is. I can see a better argument for the opposite; making it more Cube-like in dimensions so that it will hold a 3.5" HD.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="donnchadh"]My guess is an attempt to understand the why's behind Apple. The Mac mini serves two purposes: 1) it's Apple's answer to a low cost PC and 2) it's a way to attract PC people over to Mac, especially those not willing to spend big bucks for an iMac.[/quote]

Nice post, but I would add a third purpose. It's probably one that Apple doesn't like to hear.

#3. It's a headless system for those of us that don't want an all-in-one system like the iMac.

That's why I own a Mac mini. It really has nothing to do with the price (but don't tell Apple that).

I just hope that Apple goes back to innovating again in the SFF space. Stop worrying about protecting iMac sales and build a truly great machine. If it cannibalizes iMac sales, so be it. Maybe they'll be forced into building what so many of us appear to want. More headless systems!

[quote="fox"]I really can't see the point of making the mini's form factor any smaller than it already is.[/quote]

Unless it has a built-in or matching optical drive, I can't either. Just going small to wow people is probably a mistake. Especially on the desktop side of things. I still can't believe that it appears to be working with the MacBook Air.
velocitytrap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dag777"][quote="iCrud"]You heard it here first. The new Mac mini (notice I didn't say minis) will be the same size as the Apple TV and Time Capsule, but two inches tall. This will allow the new model to have a 3.5" HDD.

- 2.4GHz Penryn C2D
- 2GB of RAM
- Intel GMA x3100
- 802.11n with Bluetooth
- SuperDrive

The price:

- $699

Oh yeah, the Apple Remote is now an add-on. Wink[/quote]

Hey if this will be true (with the 3,5'' HDD and it maight be something on it, according to next rumor http://www.looprumors.com/article.php?slimmer-imacs-mac-minis-coming,422101511) I will "forgive" Apple, that they try to sell us almost a year old chipset as a brand new Smile[/quote]

This is text from the looprumors page (link above):
[i]According to this new information we received, the Mac mini will see a dramatic change in its form factor, [b]with a design that is 'less than half the size' of the current offering[/b]. The mini will also see modest speed increases, with significantly larger storage.[/i]

This suggests that the mini will be even smaller then the current offering. I'm not sure how that is possible maybe they ment larger like in the above quote saying the new minis will be apple tv size.
donnchadh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with your reason No. 3: a headless system. Just by chance I was at a Best Buy store yesterday and they had an Apple computer display for the first time. It featured all the lap tops and iMacs. No Mac Mini's or Mac Pro for that matter.

To me having the video screen intergrated into the machine is like having a stove and a refer built into one unit. Yes, they both go into a kitchen but they are really two different beasts mechanically. If one goes belly up, the whole thing is down (or junk).

Personally I have a HD 23" Cinema Display which has to use the ADC to DVI adapter. It stills works great and it is going from a Power Mac G4 to a Mac Mini. So I don't have to re-buy a screen with every upgrade.

I disagree with the idea that Apple is going to make an ultra small version of the Mac Mini. Such a miniaturization would require a whole new class of compondents, something which would require a major R&D effort and cost big $$$. This would negate the whole reason for having a low(er) cost intro for protential (and tentative) PC switchers.

The whole point for Apple to is utilize "off-the-shelf" compondents and proven tech solutions to lower the price point. I doubt strongly they would tool up for a larger enclosure/chassis for both cost reasons and to avoid stealing sales from iMacs. No 3 1/2 HD's.

Personally I can hardly wait to hack the new version.

Donnchadh
mazilis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="donnchadh"]I disagree with the idea that Apple is going to make an ultra small version of the Mac Mini. Such a miniaturization would require a whole new class of compondents, something which would require a major R&D effort and cost big $$$. This would negate the whole reason for having a low(er) cost intro for protential (and tentative) PC switchers.

The whole point for Apple to is utilize "off-the-shelf" compondents and proven tech solutions to lower the price point. I doubt strongly they would tool up for a larger enclosure/chassis for both cost reasons and to avoid stealing sales from iMacs. No 3 1/2 HD's.[/quote]

Generally speaking, I couldn't agree with you more about changing the footprint - BUT - we now have components that were developed for the Macbook Air that could potentially be repurposed for a smaller chassis Mac Mini. I don't know if you saw pictures of the Air's Mother Board at the product launch? It's tiny. I'm not saying it's likely, just that it's now possible without having to engineer new components.
donnchadh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mazilis"][quote="donnchadh"]I disagree with the idea that Apple is going to make an ultra small version of the Mac Mini. Such a miniaturization would require a whole new class of compondents, something which would require a major R&D effort and cost big $$$. This would negate the whole reason for having a low(er) cost intro for protential (and tentative) PC switchers.

The whole point for Apple to is utilize "off-the-shelf" compondents and proven tech solutions to lower the price point. I doubt strongly they would tool up for a larger enclosure/chassis for both cost reasons and to avoid stealing sales from iMacs. No 3 1/2 HD's.[/quote]

Generally speaking, I couldn't agree with you more about changing the footprint - BUT - we now have components that were developed for the Macbook Air that could potentially be repurposed for a smaller chassis Mac Mini. I don't know if you saw pictures of the Air's Mother Board at the product launch? It's tiny. I'm not saying it's likely, just that it's now possible without having to engineer new components.[/quote]

Exactly. If Apple were to use the newly developed micro-sized compondents from their just released MacBook Air, it would greatly boost the selling price $$$$ of a Mac Mini. Or it might steal sales from a "flagship" item from the line-up.

The Mac Mini is the marginal cost offering from Apple: not the leading edge of their products. If you look at at the product history of the Mac Mini it has always been positioned below the entry level lap tops/iMac's and that is a deliberate marketing decision. I just don't see that attitude changing.

What get's me excited is that the "P" class processors can use 4 gig's of ram (althrough I don't think Apple would offer the max), and have a faster bus speed. And that the video chip would be upgraded. Things like the optical drive, adding ram, bigger and faster HD's can be done by hackers and, in effect, bypasses Apple's policy of dumbing them down.

Donnchadh
sgb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ben_tex"]Unless it has a built-in or matching optical drive, I can't either. Just going small to wow people is probably a mistake. Especially on the desktop side of things. I still can't believe that it appears to be working with the MacBook Air.[/quote]

Amen to that, Ben. I scratch my head wondering what the [i]raison d'etre[/i] of this computer might be. Yet, the few times I've gone over to our new Apple store, I see that this appears to be the overwhelming choice of the customers that are leaving the store with purchases.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 3 of 39

Jump to: