123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

They are comming!!! New Mini's - big rumor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imac500!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah defininetly.

with the shiny logo ...
there was a great mock up i saw a while ago when the rumours of a mac nano were going round, but i cant seem to find it now.

turns out it was a painted apple tv, but hey it looked good. Smile
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="scooper"]I know everyone is talking about Penryn, 802.11 and Intel X3100, but what about cosmetic changes?[/quote]
I think that Apple could make life a lot easier (and cheaper) for themselves if the next Mini just used a MacBook logic board with modifications for a mains power supply and an extra couple of USB ports. Then we'd already have a Mini with X3100 graphics, a 2.1 or 2.4GHz CPU and a memory capacity of 4GB. It would certainly be a hell of a lot easier to change memory modules.

[img]http://powermax.download-files.net/macbook/macbook6.jpg[/img]
imac500!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JohnnyBoy"][quote="scooper"]I know everyone is talking about Penryn, 802.11 and Intel X3100, but what about cosmetic changes?[/quote]
I think that Apple could make life a lot easier (and cheaper) for themselves if the next Mini just used a MacBook logic board with modifications for a mains power supply and an extra couple of USB ports. Then we'd already have a Mini with X3100 graphics, a 2.1 or 2.4GHz CPU and a memory capacity of 4GB. It would certainly be a hell of a lot easier to change memory modules.

[img]http://powermax.download-files.net/macbook/macbook6.jpg[/img][/quote]

yes i agree: ease of access to the insides needs a major improvement, especially if it will take 4gb ram, because no doubt it will cost a fortune to pay apple to install it, thus most people will install 3rd party memory, but i for one wouldnt feel to confident opening that case *plastic tab snaps*
zedtvl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not as difficult as it looks.......
cyberdude

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I think the mini gets a lot of people interested in Apple computers. I was first tempted by a mac back when the mini was first announced, it took me a whole 2 years to get my first and current mac but the mini was the bait that lured me in.[/quote]

That's the story here too. About 18 months ago I decided to try out the Mac experience, and the mini made it possible for me to do that without a huge expense. At this point I've pretty much gone whole hog on Apple products; I bought an iPod touch about a month ago, and just a few days back I got a MacBook. The mini made it all happen; if not for the mini I'd be suffering thru the "Tragedy of [b]Microsloth[/b] Vista" right about now Laughing

cyberdude
mazilis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Refreshed Mini Reply with quote

Sometimes you just have to laugh. On Thursday last week I ordered my first Mac Mini. It's a build to order model with the 2Ghz C2D, 2Gb Ram & 160Gb Hdd. I wanted a low cost system to augment my 2.8Ghz iMac. I plan to run it as headless and just use Screen Sharing to remote control it from the iMac. I've got hundreds of DVDs I want to rip for my Apple TV and the Mini will effectively double the rate at which I can encode. (Mini + iMac)

Of course the day after I order it these rumors re-surface about a hardware refresh. My new Mini will be arriving tomorrow. I am slightly tempted to ask Apple if I can return it (although their policy states that build to order systems can not be returned). However, if the timing in the Apple Insider story is true, then I can't imagine the updated models being out very soon - meaning within my standard 14 day return policy window.

Quote from story...
"...there's new life in the Mac mini department, where a small team of engineers have recently been tasked with gutting the diminutive desktop and applying fresh internals."

I can't imagine that this project could be done in 30 days. Imagine all the steps to make a change to a product line like this - the internal documentation updates, component sourcing (ordering and lead time) and manufacturing assembly line changes that would need to be made. Not to mention the time it takes to be built in Asia and then transported across the Pacific ocean by ship.

I would think that a refreshed Mini lineup wouldn't be ready to ship until June 1 at the earliest. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

-Mike
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These rumours are nothing to base your buying decisions on. If you bothered with them you will end up waiting months if not years. There will always be a new model coming that is the nature of computing. Intel releases a new processor, rumour of upgrade for new processor starts. Intel releases a new chipset, rumour of upgrade to new chipset and graphics starts. Blu-ray drives get a little cheaper, rumour that Apple will go blu-ray starts. In five years time all of these rumours will (most likely) have come true. But picking a date in those five years is an exercise in futility.

Technically all the pieces for the rumoured upgrade have been around for a while and who knows when or if Apple started the engineering work for a new mini. And even if they have completed the engineering, there is no guarantee when they'll pull the trigger.

Unless you know a supplier of components for the mini and have a view of any changes in Apple's ordering, its all just rumours and heresay. Buy your new mini when you need it. If a better one comes along, its no big deal because you bought the mini when you needed it. And if you need the new mini more, you can always punt it on ebay and get a new one - after the first firmware upgrade as ironed out all the first edition bugs.
mazilis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris. When my Mini arrives this afternoon I'm going to plug her in and get to work! A person can spend so much time second guessing everything that they lose sight of what they're trying to accomplish in the first place.

All the best,

-Mike
Mint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshed Mini Reply with quote

[quote="mazilis"]I can't imagine that this project could be done in 30 days. Imagine all the steps to make a change to a product line like this - the internal documentation updates, component sourcing (ordering and lead time) and manufacturing assembly line changes that would need to be made. Not to mention the time it takes to be built in Asia and then transported across the Pacific ocean by ship.

I would think that a refreshed Mini lineup wouldn't be ready to ship until June 1 at the earliest. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

-Mike[/quote]
Let's assume the rumors are true. I don't think the shipping is a big thing. Most Macs are usually dropped shipped from China. I'm more interested in how long it will take for them to get out of the engineering stage and into production. I think this will take at least another month or two.
mazilis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mint,

My thoughts exactly. Some folks have left comments around the web that they think that the new revision could be out in the next week or two. That just doesn't make sense to me unless they've already been working on it for a couple of months already. The Apple Insider rumor makes it sound like they just got started on the project.

Thanks,

-Mike
dm3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mazilis"]Mint,

My thoughts exactly. Some folks have left comments around the web that they think that the new revision could be out in the next week or two. That just doesn't make sense to me unless they've already been working on it for a couple of months already. The Apple Insider rumor makes it sound like they just got started on the project.

Thanks,

-Mike[/quote]From the same people that said the Mini was dead, you're now worried that they make it sound like they just got started?

Appleinsider was the last one to report that Mini updates are on the way.

I give credence to other rumors and hope that development has been ongoing for a while.

I'm just not happy that it apparently wasn't ready this Tuesday (today).
Mint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mazilis"]Mint,

Thanks,

-Mike[/quote]

I also hope they have some time for testing. My bother's Mac mini is stable as hell. It would be shame to see them slip that way.
libbeyco

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: New mac Mini's ??? Reply with quote

It would be nice if a new version of the Mini would come out as the technology is so OLD in the current offerings.

Don't get me wrong I love my mini...

BUT I just got a HP slimline dirt cheap which has DVI/HDMI PCI Xpress nvidia video card, 500GB SATA hard drive and a Blu-Ray / HD DVD player and SuperMulti DVD burner with LightScribe ( LG / HITACHI GGC-H20L ) core 2 Duo 2.2 CPU and 2GB memory. This little thing, although larger than the mini makes an outstanding media system. Under 500.00..
Yes it has Vista Ultimate and wish it had Leopard..

I hope any new mini's will incorporate some of these features or else I will just look the other way with total disappointment.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New mac Mini's ??? Reply with quote

[quote="libbeyco"]

BUT I just got a HP slimline dirt cheap which has DVI/HDMI PCI Xpress nvidia video card, 500GB SATA hard drive and a Blu-Ray / HD DVD player and SuperMulti DVD burner with LightScribe ( LG / HITACHI GGC-H20L ) core 2 Duo 2.2 CPU and 2GB memory. This little thing, although larger than the mini makes an outstanding media system. Under 500.00..
Yes it has Vista Ultimate and wish it had Leopard.[/quote]

Those little HP Slimlines are cool looking, but the thought of runnning Vista 24/7 just brings a tear to my eye. I do have a question though. Where did you find one with Blu-ray for under $500? That's a good deal!
minimonkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm betting on the week of April 7th. Fingers crossed...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 2 of 39

Jump to: