123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External Hardrive storage for HD films etc.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meekon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: External Hardrive storage for HD films etc. Reply with quote

Hi all

Will start by saying what a helpful forum. I recently have gone back to Mac's after using windows for game development for the last 7 years. I have recently gone back to graphic design and decided to give mac a go again. Well I am so impressed with my new mac book pro I have decided I am going to go out and pick up a Mac Mini to use as a HTPC.

I will be mainly using it for playing back 1080/720 HD content and as a download server to be on 24/7.

I have picked up a DVI > HDMI cable and tried playback on my MBP. Had a few problems at first but managed to sort them out with new codecs and coreplayer pro (which plays 1080 x264 perfectly, but doesnt support AC3/DTS at the moment. This is all outputting on a Samsung m87 1080 screen.

So my main question is:

What external harddrive storage do I want to be picking up for the Mini so I can playback 1080 content from it?

I have been looking at this so far: Iomega 750GB Minimax Hard Drive with Dual Interface + USB/FireWire Hub.

Not really looking at streaming over a network at the moment, just straight from the external HD to the Mini to the TV.

Also I suspect I will be filling these up quite quick so need something that would stack or align nicely as I am a bit of a perfectionist with the way my setup appears Very Happy

Also is the Mac Mini likely to be updated soon? as I would prefer to wait if that was the case.

/edit. Guess I was rushing myself into buying one with excitement but after a quick google or two I see there is too be an update to the mac mini range.

Thanks in Advance

Meekon

Last edited by Meekon on Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Meekon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition do I require Firewire 800 (800mbps) or is High speed USB 2 (480mbps) going to do the job?

Thanks
abney51

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been rumors of a Mac Mini upgrade for some time now but I don't think anybody has heard anything specific. I just picked mine up about 6 months ago for a really good price because people were anticipating an update so maybe nows a good time to start shopping!

Mostly any external hard drive with USB2.0 or FW400/800 will be fine. I prefer FW800 but haven't noticed a difference with an external I have that is USB2.0. Welcome back and enjoy!
Sony 5.1 Reciever
XBox 360
DirecTV R10 TiVo
Logitech Harmony 880
And a wife happy we finally have a working HTPC!
sandor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the biggest hard drive you can afford. HD takes up a lot of room (ATSC broadcasts average about 7 GB/hour for me, and that is < 19 mbps. Blu ray can be up to 40 mbps (approx 17.5 GB/hour)

so 1 TB will give you anywhere from 50-140 hours of HD content (or so) depending on the encoding.

Personally? i went with a NAS on a gigabit network, so far i have 2.5 TB on the network, and i can expand as i see fit ( www.serverelements.com )
Hartmeister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Firewire would be preferable Reply with quote

I, too, am a new convert to Macs from Windows. Welcome aboard the club.

I would say that Firewire would preferable because of its daisy chaining ability. You could go with USB hub but I have heard some accounts that standard USB hubs don't work on Macs (I haven't used any myself on my mini). I believe that you can have as much as 63 devices on a firewire chain but I think there is a lesser limit with USB (16 perhaps).

Also Firewire 800 is faster than USB. Faster is always better than slower. Also USB has host issue problems which slow it down slightly more than their specs indicate. I have nothing against USB but if your desire for speed its hard to go wrong with Firewire.

I would start out with a TB disk that has 800,400 and USB connectors. I like my LaCie and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.
Hartmeister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Ignore post Reply with quote

I edited post because it was a stupid question.

Last edited by Hartmeister on Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: External Hardrive storage for HD films etc. Reply with quote

Meekon wrote:
Hi all

Will start by saying what a helpful forum. I recently have gone back to Mac's after using windows for game development for the last 7 years. I have recently gone back to graphic design and decided to give mac a go again. Well I am so impressed with my new mac book pro I have decided I am going to go out and pick up a Mac Mini to use as a HTPC.

I will be mainly using it for playing back 1080/720 HD content and as a download server to be on 24/7.

I have picked up a DVI > HDMI cable and tried playback on my MBP. Had a few problems at first but managed to sort them out with new codecs and coreplayer pro (which plays 1080 x264 perfectly, but doesnt support AC3/DTS at the moment. This is all outputting on a Samsung m87 1080 screen.

So my main question is:

What external harddrive storage do I want to be picking up for the Mini so I can playback 1080 content from it?

I have been looking at this so far: Iomega 750GB Minimax Hard Drive with Dual Interface + USB/FireWire Hub.

Not really looking at streaming over a network at the moment, just straight from the external HD to the Mini to the TV.

Also I suspect I will be filling these up quite quick so need something that would stack or align nicely as I am a bit of a perfectionist with the way my setup appears Very Happy

Also is the Mac Mini likely to be updated soon? as I would prefer to wait if that was the case.

/edit. Guess I was rushing myself into buying one with excitement but after a quick google or two I see there is too be an update to the mac mini range.

Thanks in Advance

Meekon

If you are using the external drive with a Mac Mini buying a Firewire 800 drive is a waste of your hard earned. Pick up a Firewire 400 compatible drive and this will work fine for all your HD content.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Meekon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will continue to look for the drives with firewire 800 and yes I think getting the 1TB drive to start with is the best option. I have only just started storing HD content and I am nearly full already on my older drives.

Hartmesister which Lacie did you go for? I have had this brand in the past and they are still going strong the ones I still own.

On the subject of networking this is something I will be looking into in the future for maybe streaming it to the lounge and the dining room for my partner. For the moment its only required in my room (the man room Very Happy).

I will wait a bit longer before picking up my Mac Mini to see if there is an update and continue to use my spare windows machine. Embarassed

Thanks

Meekon
Meekon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: External Hardrive storage for HD films etc. Reply with quote

If you are using the external drive with a Mac Mini buying a Firewire 800 drive is a waste of your hard earned. Pick up a Firewire 400 compatible drive and this will work fine for all your HD content.

So the 400 or USB2 will be sufficient? If this is tried and tested with HD footage I might aswell save a few quid like you said Smile
Hartmeister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meekon wrote:

Hartmesister which Lacie did you go for? I have had this brand in the past and they are still going strong the ones I still own.

Big Disk Extreme, I believe.
Hartmeister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: I'll have to check on the LaCie Reply with quote

I can't tell the differences between the various LaCie's on pictures. I'll take a look at the box later on today when I go up to the attic.
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: External Hardrive storage for HD films etc. Reply with quote

Meekon wrote:
So the 400 or USB2 will be sufficient? If this is tried and tested with HD footage I might aswell save a few quid like you said Smile

Both will work fine but Firewire 400 is faster than USB 2 so I would try and get one of those.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
sandor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hartmeister wrote:
Meekon wrote:

Big Disk Extreme, I believe.

in reference to Lacie, i use these everyday at work - we have 3 of these:
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10923 (2 TB)

and three of these:
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10922 (1 TB)

that we use on a daily basis to do a 4th backup of our photography server. We swap out the drives about every other week or so, and run the backups every night. Never had an issue with the Lacie drives, and we add around 5 GB of data to the servers
usarcher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the same boat, waiting for the new mini and trying to pick a HDD setup. I am looking at this enclosure:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEFW924AL2K/

with a coupe of these drives:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148274

Not in a rush to get the mini since at work we just got the new penryn based macbooks. Comparing them to the old macbooks it will be worth the wait for the mini to get the new chip.
Meekon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usarcher wrote:
I am in the same boat, waiting for the new mini and trying to pick a HDD setup. I am looking at this enclosure:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEFW924AL2K/

with a coupe of these drives:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148274

Not in a rush to get the mini since at work we just got the new penryn based macbooks. Comparing them to the old macbooks it will be worth the wait for the mini to get the new chip.

That enclosure looks very nice. I am very vain with my setup and a lot of these external drives are a bit on the ugly side. Shame thats in the US, ENgland here and I do not think you can get them here after a quick google.

Lacie looking good so far Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: