123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Time Machine and AirPort Updates [U]
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Wow, it does work! I plugged another one of my drives in and bingo. I don't know why it didn't see the first drive, but I'm a happy camper now. Kudos to Apple for coming through on this. I also feel like a genius for retuning a TC now.

If after the update, TM does not see your drive, it appears that a repartition or sometimes just a disk repair will fix the problem.
File type NEEDS to be HFS journaled.
I had this experience, and after a web search discovered this tip, which worked for me.

jb.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ephilei wrote:
Any ideas if this will work on external HDDs attached to Macs? I'm using my Mini as a server for a MacBook - it would be nice not to have to move the HDD every time I want to backup. It worked in the Leopard beta. I'm downloading now.

This update has nothing to do with Time Machine's ability to use hard drives connected to Macs on a network. That has been functional and working since 10.5.0 and continues to do so Smile
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
This update has nothing to do with Time Machine's ability to use hard drives connected to Macs on a network. That has been functional and working since 10.5.0 and continues to do so Smile

Not quite accurate, the latest update makes it easy by finding the AirDisk without the need for an unsupported Terminal Hack.
The code Apple is using is different then the previous unsupported Hack in as much as the terminal Hack found my AirDisk and also found my non Apple NAS shares.
While the latest Apple update only finds and allows my AirDisk.

jb.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb wrote:
Not quite accurate, the latest update makes it easy by finding the AirDisk without the need for an unsupported Terminal Hack.

Ephilei's question was about external hard drives connected to a Mac as a Time Machine destination, not about external hard drives connected to an Airport Extreme using AirDisk as a Time Machine destination.
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
jb wrote:

Ephilei's question was about external hard drives connected to a Mac as a Time Machine destination, not about external hard drives connected to an Airport Extreme using AirDisk as a Time Machine destination.

Actually I knew that, Iwas just testing to see if you were paying attention. Embarassed

jb.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my AirPort Extreme from the UPS man about an hour ago. Setup was really easy. And it seems to be working ok with Time Machine. The backup is just going super slow. I really wish there was a flashing indicator light on the front of this thing instead of the massive green one. I already miss looking over at my old router and checking for activity.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
I got my AirPort Extreme from the UPS man about an hour ago. Setup was really easy. And it seems to be working ok with Time Machine. The backup is just going super slow. I really wish there was a flashing indicator light on the front of this thing instead of the massive green one. I already miss looking over at my old router and checking for activity.

You can set the status light to flash on activity. Open up the AirPort Utility and hit the manual setup button. Then go to the AirPort panel > Base Station and click the options button. There is a drop down menu half way down for the status light. Just change it from the default to flash on activity.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
You can set the status light to flash on activity. Open up the AirPort Utility and hit the manual setup button. Then go to the AirPort panel > Base Station and click the options button. There is a drop down menu half way down for the status light. Just change it from the default to flash on activity.

I saw that after posting, but thanks. Now I wish there was a way to make the light smaller. It's a little on the bright side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: