123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple patents DVR for Apple TV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zuzu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Apple patents DVR for Apple TV Reply with quote

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/03/13/apple_tv_dvr_interface_revealed_in_patent_filings.html

Looks like an EyeTV workalike will be included in Apple TV 3.0.

I wonder if this version will use a 3.5" 1TB drive like the Time Capsule. I also wonder if it will include one coaxial input but at least two tuners. Most people want to watch one show but record another; or at least not be stuck on a station while they're recording. Also, Apple will need to remember to support QAM as well as ATSC.
Or perhaps it's just software (like EyeTV) to support network attached tuners like the SiliconDust HD HomeRun (HDHR).

Oh, and I wonder how Apple could actually patent anything like this, given all the prior art of EPG systems, TiVo, and of course EyeTV.

Last edited by zuzu on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
myminirocks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a read of this over on appleinsider as well, looks really promising. Finally an apple solution to DVR's instead of us all mish-mashing products from all over to try and create the perfect integrated solution.

Now if they could only create a dockable 6-7 inch multi-touch screen PVR that works seamlessly with it all and I will be in geek heaven!! Laughing
Elgato EyeTV Diversity
16G iPhone 3G
abney51

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Apple submitted the patent but I think we all know there are a number of patents that Apple has submitted over the years and have never actually developed - (i.e. the square iMac). IMO, the development of an Apple DVR, as fantastic as it would be, would cut out the revenue Apple gains from iTunes tv show purchases and probably even some movie purchases and that doesn't seem to be in Apple's best interest unless the talks with the TV studios all go the way of NBC/Universal. If it were to happen though, I would be first in line to get a hold of it because EyeTV didn't cut it for me and I would love to see Apple enter this market.
Sony 5.1 Reciever
XBox 360
DirecTV R10 TiVo
Logitech Harmony 880
And a wife happy we finally have a working HTPC!
myminirocks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gawd that Square iMac is horrible! I hope it never sees the light of Day!

unfortunately abney51 I think you are right, A Lot has been said of Apple's intension to move all media distribution to d/l on demand type access and the DVR does branch in the other direction.

We can only hope that they can see a mutually beneficial gain to both directions by merging the functionality of the ATV and a DVR

and yes, I will be knocking down the doors to be first in line myself!
Elgato EyeTV Diversity
16G iPhone 3G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: