123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Harmony remote - Mini as Device & Activities (2008 updat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Harmony remote - Mini as Device & Activities (2008 updat Reply with quote

I just purchased Harmony 880 and have just gone through configuring the remote. I noticed another post has instructions - but they appear to be outdated and missing instructions for adding the Mini into an activity.

Adding the mini as a device: The mini is now in Logitech's database so this was quite simple. All you have to do is:

- Click on: Add Device
- Select "Computer" under device; select "Apple" under Maufacturer; the type in "Mac Mini".
- When you are prompted to choose "Do you have a remote for this device?". Choose No
- Click "Done" and the Mini should now be added as a device.
- You can now view the Mini's commands by going to "Settings" and then "Customize buttons". I then customized the commands to new buttons (Which you may or may not want to do - its a personal choice):

UP --> Volume Up
DOWN --> Volume Down
LEFT --> PreviousTrack
RIGHT --> NextTrack
OK --> Play
MENU --> Menu

The other commands (pause, rewind, and fast forward) will work as per Apple remote norm without being added.

That's it!

Adding the Mini into an activity: I found this one to be very problamatic, but I finally got it working correctly. My activity used my Samsung TV, Denon receiver, and (obviously) my Mini. For anyone wondering: Mini is connected to the Denon via DVI/HDMI cable and Toslink digital audio cable; Denon connected to TV via HDMI/DVI cable; audio only from Denon.

At first I was choosing "Watch DVD" to add an activity and I could never get it working right. Every time I initiated the "Watch DVD" (or "Watch Video") activity, everything switched over (the receiver went to the right input, the TV turned on, my cable HD receiver would turn off) - but the Mini's video stayed black even though the Mini was on. And I knew it was on because I could hear Front Row's dististinctive "popping" sound when I pressed a button. I don't know if I'm alone in this experience, but choosing "Watch DVD" just never worked.

What was funny during setup was that the Harmony setup would ask, "What input or channel does your Apple Media Center PC need to be on?". It seemed like a strange question for a Mini since its DVI output, but I picked "My Videos" because it was recommended. I'm mentioning this because this is why I think it wasn't working. I believe when I initiated "Watch DVD"; the remote would send a "change input to My Videos" signal that would make the Mini's video output/graphics card barf. I'd love to hear another opinion/experience with this.

To get it working I eliminated the need to pick a channel/input. It was quite easy in the end, but somewhat hidden.
- Click "Add Activity"
- Choose "No - manually add an activity ..."
- Choose " Utility"
- Choose " Generic Activity"
- Add Mini (or Apple Media Center PC according to Harmony), TV, and Denon as devices used. Click Save.
- Choose "DVI" for TV input/channel (This will depend on your setup)
- Choose "DVD" for Denon receiver input/channel (This will depend on your setup)
- Choose "I don't need to set the input on my Apple Media Center PC". This option was not available when I chose "Watch DVD" - as I had to pick "My Videos", "My TV", or "My DVD" ... etc.
- Click "Done"
- The "Generic Activity" is now setup. Now click on "customize buttons" and add the commands for the Mini's remote and the receiver's volume.

Choosing the "I don' t need to set the input..." seemed to do the trick for me. Everything now works great with no problems.
MrBabou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Rolie. I use a Harmony remote myself as well (the 670 model). I had tried to set it up to use it to control the Mini, but it did not seem to work - in other words, I currently use the Harmony to open and switch inputs of the TV and receiver, but then use the Mini remote to control Front Row (although I don't use Front Row often...). I'm pretty sure it's because when it asked "Do you have a remote for this device?", I answered 'Yes'. Now, thanks to you, I'll be able to add control to the Mini with the Harmony. YAY!! Very Happy
Rolie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBabou wrote:
Great post Rolie. I use a Harmony remote myself as well (the 670 model). I had tried to set it up to use it to control the Mini, but it did not seem to work - in other words, I currently use the Harmony to open and switch inputs of the TV and receiver, but then use the Mini remote to control Front Row (although I don't use Front Row often...). I'm pretty sure it's because when it asked "Do you have a remote for this device?", I answered 'Yes'. Now, thanks to you, I'll be able to add control to the Mini with the Harmony. YAY!! Very Happy

How did it work out?
iRob

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good writeup, Rolie. Your method worked for me too.
  • Roku 2 XS
  • Samsung Blu Ray
  • Samsung TV
  • Logitech Squeezebox
  • iPad 2 - DVP Remote app, RedEye app, Plex app, Remote Buddy app, Apple Remote app, iPeng app
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Level 2 at harmony can set up the remote for you. It will wake the mini, turn on TV & A/V receiver to correct inputs.
When you change activities it will put the mini to sleep & turn on what you need.

FWIW, Harmony supports Plex.
http://www.plexapp.com/
http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Harmony_Support
rastapete

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is "level 2"?
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rastapete wrote:
What is "level 2"?

Its the next level of Harmony support, when you have a problem setting up delays, inputs etc. Harmony's regular support transfers you to them, you can't call them direct.
They set up my mini as a "bonus" when i had an input problem with a new TV

I have used plex in the past, now its my primary media center. IMO, its much better then Front Row. And Its in Harmony's database, I press "mini/plex" on my remote & it does the rest.

I still have "Mac TV" (set up by level two) for Front Row, I think ill be deleting that activity soon! I'm liking Plex Wink
iRob

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tales wrote:
Its the next level of Harmony support, when you have a problem setting up delays, inputs etc. Harmony's regular support transfers you to them, you can't call them direct.

Thanks for this information! I had no idea. How do you go about contacting level two?

tales wrote:
I have used plex in the past, now its my primary media center... I'm liking Plex

Plex shows great potential, but I've had very little success with it. Very complicated menuing, and I have had zero luck getting the iTunes network streaming to work. How about you?
  • Roku 2 XS
  • Samsung Blu Ray
  • Samsung TV
  • Logitech Squeezebox
  • iPad 2 - DVP Remote app, RedEye app, Plex app, Remote Buddy app, Apple Remote app, iPeng app
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iRob wrote:
tales wrote:

Thanks for this information! I had no idea. How do you go about contacting level two?

I called because my new TV wasn't landing on the correct input. The person said this is a level 2 problem. And connected me with them.
I think my mini was setup for Apple TV L2 got it working & it was able to sleep when i left the "Mac TV" activity

tales wrote:
I have used plex in the past, now its my primary media center... I'm liking Plex

Plex shows great potential, but I've had very little success with it. Very complicated menuing, and I have had zero luck getting the iTunes network streaming to work. How about you?

I don't stream my iTunes, i use the one thats on the mini. Its in music in Plex.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: