123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got a Belkin wireless router/modem F5D7632UK4A help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macdave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Got a Belkin wireless router/modem F5D7632UK4A help! Reply with quote

Got a Belkin wireless router/modem F5D7632UK4A ver. 7000uk got the latest firmware according to firmware update.

Modem is wired via ethernet to Mac Mini.
*modem keeps dropping ADSL connection*.
Im pretty sure i've entered in my WAN setting properly since the very first time it connected ok and even worked wirelessly with my Macbook.

Ive tried a restart/reset and factory reset and went through the WAN set up about 4 times and nothing seems to work.

It seem to connect if i turn on and off but this takes a few attempts and then loses the wired and wireless after about 20 minutes.

Does anybody have any thoughts?
Should I just get a different router
robocz033

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the same problem, in a way. My router kept dropping the wireless, then the wired connections. I just kept restarting it and eventually it just got better. I suspect it is with the ISP needing to accept the MAC address because after I reset it, I had the same problems. So if you just sit tight with it for a few days, it should go away.

But, if you don't want to wait, play around with the settings. Try lowering the fragmentation threshold and changing the wireless channel.
macdave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i did change the wireless channel but i dont think that made any difference.
how do i lower the fragmentation threshold?
I do notice that the mac address is different to my old router. at the very end it has "255" and the belkins is "00".

The router instructions says not to change this.
contacted belkin today they advised me to change the "time out" to zero.
I think they may be about to replace it.
Its just the dropping wired connection that annoying.
robocz033

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some routers do not allow you to change the fragmentation threshold. It would be under advanced settings. But if you just wait a bit, let the MAC address settle it, it may work. My router works almost flawlessly.

If you want to dump that router, either get the AirPort Extreme or use this setup:

A modem that has a single port router built in. Then plug an ethernet switch in to that (go with 8 ports for room for expansion). Then plug a wireless access point (WAP) in to that. Configure the WAP and from there it is PnP. It is almost flawless as well.
macdave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i got a replacement from belkin and guess what still the same problem.

ive looked at the firmware page on belkins site. for previous version of the router e.g 3000uk,6000uk.

the list fixing a dropped connection on PPoE as one of the fixes for the firmware upgrade.

so i think that the problem with my router.

could i use the firmware for one of the earlier versions?
macdave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i contacted belkin support again thinking nothing much would happen.

the agent said to turn off the routers firewall and so far this seems to have worked.

im not too sure if this is a good idea to turn off the routers firewall but ive got OSX's turned on.
macdave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well still having dropped connection probs here. doesnt seem to be happening as often. but still have to cycle the power on and off a few time to get the DSL light go solid and connect.

looks like im having a conversation to myself here! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: