123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Initial Set-Up Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
numediaman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Initial Set-Up Thread Reply with quote

Seems this might come in handy -- a thread where people can post their advice concerning the initial set-up of their new mini.

I received my mini on Friday and so far am very happy with it. But, of course, with any new computer there are issues.

When you turn on your new mini you will be asked if you want to transfer information from an older Mac via firewire. I said yes and was relieved that I did not have to reload all my old software -- especially my OS 9.2 stuff and also Toast 6 (I can't find the original discs).

But here is advice item #1:

1) Don't expect all your software to work properly. My software that includes decoding codecs did not work. Clean installs solved this immediately. I haven't tried Quicktime but I'm sure I'll have some issues with it. I also had to reinstall my scanner software so it would work with Photoshop. Little things like plug-ins and codecs don't seem to transfer properly.

2) iLife 05 comes on separate discs. You might want to consider NOT installing GarageBand2 until you are satisfied it is fine (check the Apple discussion forum).

3) If you have an external DVD burner make sure you have the latest driver. I have a LaCie DVD burner and I was looking forward to using iDVD. I was extremely upset to find it wouldn't work. But silly me . . . I just needed to go to the LaCie web site and download the newest driver. Now I can use iDVD -- it's like getting software for free.

4) Last piece of advice: splurge on something to go with your mini. I bought new Soundstick2 speakers from Amazon -- good price and unbelievable performance. (I also found a "refreshed" Apple 20" Cinema Display at the Apple Store -- but I know this might be a major extravagance for some -- but it IS nice, that's for sure!)
billabong

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea!

1. I couldn't use my microsoft wireless mouse during setup. I was only able to use the keyboard. I think it was more of a mouse issue. I had to keep pushing in the connect button on IR receiver.

2. iLife 2 does not come pre-installed. I reccomend before you throw in the iLife 2 disk you take a look around and get a feel for iLife. When I went to install iLife 2 I was shocked at how long it seemed to take.

3. Turn off or up power saving! Its just a pain.

4. I had to adjust Quicktime to: Use HTTP Port ID 80 to views streaming content.

5. Tell a friend about the mini invite him or her over! Get them to move off that virus filled fleabag of an OS "Windows"
numediaman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there is a troubleshooting forum, but there is not much activity there yet -- so here are a few items that have cropped up since I started using my mini on Friday afternoon:

1) iDVD -- the new iLife comes with a new version of iDVD that will allow you to burn DVDs using an external burner. But . . . this version of iDVD seems awfully touchy. I spent an hour on the phone with Apple support trying to get this software to not crash. Finally, we got it to work. We never really isolated the problem, but I have a theory. This version is very sensitive about external hard drives. My recommendation, store your material on your external, but bring it over to your main drive when compiling your DVD. This is another good reason to get the 80 gig version.

2) Audio: The audio out is fine -- so don't worry there. The issue for me has been audio in. In particular, the audio in seems to run "hot", overloading some programs -- particularly GarageBand2. My recommendation: make sure the device you are using to bring in audio (an iMic, M-Audio, etc.) will allow some level of control. My iMic does not -- as a result I have to go into Sound Prefs and lower the input level to its lowest point, and do the same in GB2.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

numediaman wrote:

1) iDVD -- the new iLife comes with a new version of iDVD that will allow you to burn DVDs using an external burner. But . . . this version of iDVD seems awfully touchy. I spent an hour on the phone with Apple support trying to get this software to not crash. Finally, we got it to work. We never really isolated the problem, but I have a theory. This version is very sensitive about external hard drives. My recommendation, store your material on your external, but bring it over to your main drive when compiling your DVD. This is another good reason to get the 80 gig version.

I agree if you are going to do any type of DVD burning /video editing you need to skip over the 40GB and get the 80GB. I still think 80% of these people should go ahead and get the Superdrive BTO. The only problem I notice in iDVD is some of the themes are jerky but I think that has more to do with the 32MB video in the mini than iDVD.
lennon1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

System Profiler question

Machine Model: Mac mini
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.42 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.9f1
Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxx

What does the (1.2) after G4 mean?

My mini came Fedex today and it's my first Mac! Very Happy Everything is going great so far. I have some other q's but I think this is the wrong thread.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lennon wrote:
My mini came Fedex today and it's my first Mac! Very Happy Everything is going great so far. I have some other q's but I think this is the wrong thread.

How is the speed with 512MB of ram?

I ordered 3 Mini's. Two base models (1.25Ghz/40GB/256MB) for my kids and a beefed up one (1.42Ghz/80GB/512MB/SuperDrive). Now I am wondering if I should buy a 1GB stick of ram for mine. Since I've got a stick of 512MB 2700 ram in my PC, I could upgrade my system to 1GB, the kids' each to 512MB, and throw the two 256MB sticks into my PC to keep it at 512MB.

The kids will not be doing anything super intensive, maining web browsing, some flash games, and e-mail...So, if 256MB is enough for that, maybe I will not bother...but from the reports I've heard, it sounds like I may really want to...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
billabong

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:

I ordered 3 Mini's. Two base models (1.25Ghz/40GB/256MB) for my kids and a beefed up one (1.42Ghz/80GB/512MB/SuperDrive). Now I am wondering if I should buy a 1GB stick of ram for mine. Since I've got a stick of 512MB 2700 ram in my PC, I could upgrade my system to 1GB, the kids' each to 512MB, and throw the two 256MB sticks into my PC to keep it at 512MB.

The kids will not be doing anything super intensive, maining web browsing, some flash games, and e-mail...So, if 256MB is enough for that, maybe I will not bother...but from the reports I've heard, it sounds like I may really want to...

Wow three mini's! 255MB is fine for your kids mini's for surfing, email, and school stuff. I have a 1.25 with 512MB and work with Photoshop, iDVD and just purchased iWork. 512 is ok but I'm going to upgrade to 1GB. Really the only reason that I'm going to upgrade is for Garageband. Me and my bro are going to get into recording some tunes! Cool
numediaman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't have too much memory. But 512 is fine. This brings up another incredibly important point though . . .

3) Classic: if you migrate over information during the initial set-up of your mini, you MUST do this first. After your first boot up, go into System Preferences and tell your computer where to find the OS 9 folder. When you migrate your stuff, your mini will create a folder called "System Folder (from Old Mac)". But it will not automatically know that this is the Classic folder.

As a result, when I launched my first OS 9 app, the computer told me to install a new version of the OS -- I stupidly did just as I was told and ended up with two "System Folders" (as opposed to the OSX folder which is, of course, just called "System".) If you end up with two folders, don't forget to move your fonts over into the one that you will eventually use.

Also, check the memory settings of any OS9 app that is brought over in this matter. I have been having terrible crash issues and no one at Apple could figure it out. It turned out to be something so simple -- but something so 80's: the memory settings on some of my apps reverted to factory presets -- in other words, too low.
tjm549

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: I love my mini! Reply with quote

My mini came yesterday. Smile Any time I get a new computer call me paranoid but I do a clean install. I just wanted to report that the install process took about an hour and all went well!

Impressions of Mini:

The Good
- Very quiet
- Very small
- Built quality is exellent
- Slot drive is loud but not as bad as I thought it would be.

The Bad:
- Video card does lag some.
- iLife 05 is a system hog
- Power button is a little small

Overall I would give it 3 out of 4 stars there is room for improvement.
numediaman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely, do clean installs.

I'm sorry to report that every day seems to bring out issues. Today it is CD burning: I can burn data from my external HD to my external burners (both DVD & CD) at max speed -- but I can't burn to my internal burner using data stored on my external HD (I get "buffer underrun" errors). This is true even though the internal drive is burning at a much slower speed than the external burner.

But, I can burn using the internal drive if the data is stored on the internal HD.

I would say that the issue concerns the external HD except that, as I said, I don't have this problem when burning external HD to external burner.

My set up is exactly the same as it was with my PB -- the only switch is the mini for the PB.
bubba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

numediaman wrote:

What do you mean? I was planning on reinstalling using a cloned drive from my old powerbook.
tjm549

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
numediaman wrote:

What do you mean? I was planning on reinstalling using a cloned drive from my old powerbook.

When I said clean install I meant reformatting the HD and re-installing OS X. I will do the same when Tiger comes out! Very Happy God I cannot wait to see Spotlight in Tiger in it's full glory.
bubba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be erasing the drive and cloning it with a past installation, but I'm not going to be reinstalling unless I have issues with something. I've waited long enough for this thing to arrive, I'm not wasting more time reinstalling everything and getting all my apps, etc setup. If I wanted to reinstall everything, I would have bought a Dell.
Geoarts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine last evening (1.25) It's great! Great build quality (love the aluminum case with lucite top), it's quiet and I think a good value overall. I upgraded to a 1 Gig stick first thing this morning and it seems to have helped the overall speed of the machine. I didn't find the upgrading to be all that difficult. I used a large, flat spatula since I didn't have any have putty knives. Smile Worked out ok. Photoshop seems to be quite fast and the overall OS X interface is quite snappy.

I was really impressed with how easy it was to use my older VGA monitor with my Mac Mini. I'm using a 6 year old Princeton Graphics 19" EO90. My Mini detected it and I was good to go without having to do anything. Sweet! I've now got about a dozen resolution modes that I had never used before when I was using this monitor on my G3 Mac years ago.
tjm549

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba

Tell me about it, have you ever seen all the crap that comes pre-loaded on a Dell or HP computer. It takes you three weeks to clean out msconfig alone. There are really only two reasons I clean installed my mini. One Habit and two personal testing its kind of a hobby. There really is no reason to clean-install for the average user with OSX.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: