123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Game Reviews?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
velocitytrap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Mac Game Reviews? Reply with quote

I used to play a lot of games on the PC but I was getting too caught up in the endless upgrade cycle. Since then I've sold my PC and purchased a mini mac. I would like to play a few games on the mini but #1 without a good website to review games its hard giving up my hard earned money only to find out the game isn't that great. #2 the mini isn't the most powerful gaming platform out there so you have to take into account playability. I don't want to buy a game that the machine can't handle. And finally #3 PPC vs Intel games. You need to know if it is universal.

I'll reserve the next post down to make a list of all the games that people rate on this forum. Hopefully this will serve as a quick reference list for anyone that visits the gaming section. If you would like to have a game added to the list post up using this information:

Game title:
Ram: (amount)
Processor: (intel or PPC and mhz)
Funfactor: (1-10) - 10 being the most fun
Playability: (1-3) 1: can't play; 2: plays but studders or not the best; 3: plays without an issue
Platform: (Universal or PPC)
Would you buy the game again? (yes, no)
Comments:

I hope this will add a lot of good info to the site.

Also if you have any good Mac game review sites post them up and I'll add that information.
velocitytrap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post reserved for results.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game title: American Mcgee's Alice

Ram: 256 megs

processor: intel and power pc 800 mhz

rating: 9.0

Reason: Game is a little hard to get running on mac os x leopard and the updates are pretty hard to install as well.

Playability: 10 (Easy to play)

Compatibility: universal intel with 1.1.2 update and powerpc

Running: game runs nice on intel platform after you fix the config file problem.
velocitytrap

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to find this site for Mac game reviews: http://www.insidemacgames.com/

And by the looks of the ratings Mac games on a whole are pretty poor which is really too bad. I have been looking at Might & Magic http://www.freeverse.com/games/game/?id=6002 but there are some pretty bad reviews posted. I think I'll look for a used copy to try it out. Anyone playing the game now?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game runs fine. But you need to make sure your mac can handle it.
stupkid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is a secret that Windows is the primary computer gaming platform. So, while there are some good games for Mac and Linux they cannot hold a candle to the games on Windows.
velocitytrap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up Might and Magic V. I'm going to play it a bit longer before I post a review but so far on the 2Ghzmini 4gigs ram I have no issues. I'm even running higher game settings.

I'm looking forward to Fable: The Lost Chapters at the end of this month.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: