123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are mobile compnents in mainstream PC's the future?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are mobile compnents in mainstream PC's the future?
yes
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
maybe
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
no
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Are mobile compnents in mainstream PC's the future? Reply with quote

Very simple question with: Are mobile compnents in mainstream PC's the future?

Now by mobile components I mean CPU's, RAM, optical drives, and with the way things are progressing even HDD's and SSD's. I think that it will for most people the same way integrated GPU's have and workhorse computers will be reserved for professionals and gamers, and like it's been said on here the Mac mini with it's mobile specs is plenty for most people who just want a simple computer (except for capacity for people with lots of photos, but that's solved with an external HDD).

P.S. Feel free to leave your views.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
stupkid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that lower power consuming components are going to be in more and more systems. I know that as energy costs go up in the US power savings in data center design is becoming a key component. The same is relevant for desktop systems in my opinion.

So, in the sense that "mobile components" are low power consuming commodity components I think we shall see more of them used in more devices going forward. And for most of the people I know a single mobile computer suits their lifestyle more than a big desktop system sitting at home.

Personally I am seriously debating if I will keep my one desktop Linux system. I have a Zaurus C3200 that I use as my primary personal computing device and my wife uses our HTPC Mac mini for most of her computing needs. I've been thinking about getting a NAS device and getting rid of the desktop system to reduce the number of computers at the house.

So, there is my mental diarrhea.

EDIT: I suppose that reducing my energy foot print is a better way of putting my reasoning than "reducing the number of computers".
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to think yes. I think it'll take more effort on behalf of the main manufacturer's of business PCs. Up to now marketing of PCs has focused on CPU GHz, RAM MB (now GB) and HDD GB. Hard nose corporate buyers aren't swayed by that crap. At least they shouldn't be. They need to know what their users need to do their work for the life of the machine and can factor into the cost the cost of power and any additional costs in infrastructure to provide that power.

Right now, the likes of Dell don't have any offerings in that like. They are still trying to ship out boxes with "more". E.g. I recently purchased three new office workstations, their use will be pretty well limited to Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Email and Web browsing. I ended up with boxes containing twin 160Gb hard disks, because that was what was in their cheapest line. I would have been happy with 40Gb.

I berated the Dell rep for not having any product similar to the mini, both in terms of the space required to house and the power required to run. In retrospect the transition from XP to Vista has been more difficult for the three people than we anticipated. I now reckon the transition to Leopard would have been less difficult and the overall result more rewarding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: