123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time Capsule is hot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Time Capsule is hot Reply with quote

Did anyone else here get a Time Capsule? I picked one up in the city yesterday (canceled my late online order), but I'm thinking about returning it for another unit or maybe even altogether. This one is running much, much, much warmer than my regular Airport Extreme with Gigabit. I realize that it has a hard drive, but this level of heat is worrisome. The hard drive is also a little on the noisy side, but what doesn't sound loud next to the Mac mini? Everything else seems to be in order. The signal is about the same throughout our house. No problems with Bonjour printing either.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be hot right now because it's running Time Machine constantly until it makes the first backup of your drive?
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it really matter if it gets hot? I wouldn't worry too much, I saw a break down of it and it does have a fan in there. Not to mention if it does fail, you can always take it back. As far as the noise goes, it has a hard drive and as mentioned a fan, so no doubt it's gonna be louder. If it performs well, I wouldn't worry too much.

My 2 cents. . .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Could it be hot right now because it's running Time Machine constantly until it makes the first backup of your drive?

The entire top was insanely hot during that first backup, which ran for a very long time. That being said, the top area back near the ports still feels just as hot. My regular AEBS ran a little warm (which is normal) forward to the Apple logo, but not this hot. I am concerned.

hackersmovie wrote:
does it really matter if it gets hot? I wouldn't worry too much, I saw a break down of it and it does have a fan in there. Not to mention if it does fail, you can always take it back. As far as the noise goes, it has a hard drive and as mentioned a fan, so no doubt it's gonna be louder. If it performs well, I wouldn't worry too much.

The drive and fan noise doesn't really bother me, but I kindly disagree about the heat. This is just a recipe for a failure. I just don't know if this is specific to my unit or a widespread issue. It's back in the box now ready to bring back. I'll see what they say at the store on Monday or Tuesday.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:

hackersmovie wrote:

The drive and fan noise doesn't really bother me, but I kindly disagree about the heat. This is just a recipe for a failure. I just don't know if this is specific to my unit or a widespread issue. It's back in the box now ready to bring back. I'll see what they say at the store on Monday or Tuesday.

I didn't mean to sound brash. I just meant that it's a new product and no one really knows what to expect. Like with AppleTV initial complaints about heat were a concern until it was realized that it's just an attribute of the product. Very possibly the same here with TimeCapsule.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that it's normal to run a little warm (like the AEBS), but I'm telling you, these temps were insane. There is a history of heat failures if you go back and read about the 2001 AEBS. Like I said before, I'll see what they say and report back. I'm back on the trusty AEBS for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: