123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time Capsule is hot

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Posts: 5393
Location: Dunwoody, GA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Time Capsule is hot Reply with quote

Did anyone else here get a Time Capsule? I picked one up in the city yesterday (canceled my late online order), but I'm thinking about returning it for another unit or maybe even altogether. This one is running much, much, much warmer than my regular Airport Extreme with Gigabit. I realize that it has a hard drive, but this level of heat is worrisome. The hard drive is also a little on the noisy side, but what doesn't sound loud next to the Mac mini? Everything else seems to be in order. The signal is about the same throughout our house. No problems with Bonjour printing either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 01 Feb 2006
Posts: 2680
Location: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be hot right now because it's running Time Machine constantly until it makes the first backup of your drive?
_________________
Mini 1 (2012): 2.3 ghz Core i7; 10 gb RAM, Corsair 240gb SSD, 500 gb Seagate XT
Mini 2 (2009): 2.26 ghz Core 2 duo, 8 gb RAM, 500 gb Seagate used as HTPC
Also a 13" MacBook Air, 21.5" i5 iMac & 11.6" Acer 1810TZ running Ubuntu & Manjaro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 3173
Location: Maryland, U.S.A

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it really matter if it gets hot? I wouldn't worry too much, I saw a break down of it and it does have a fan in there. Not to mention if it does fail, you can always take it back. As far as the noise goes, it has a hard drive and as mentioned a fan, so no doubt it's gonna be louder. If it performs well, I wouldn't worry too much.

My 2 cents. . .
_________________
Digital Marketing For Small Business
Digital Marketing Forum
Mac Repairs & Upgrades
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Posts: 5393
Location: Dunwoody, GA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Could it be hot right now because it's running Time Machine constantly until it makes the first backup of your drive?


The entire top was insanely hot during that first backup, which ran for a very long time. That being said, the top area back near the ports still feels just as hot. My regular AEBS ran a little warm (which is normal) forward to the Apple logo, but not this hot. I am concerned.

hackersmovie wrote:
does it really matter if it gets hot? I wouldn't worry too much, I saw a break down of it and it does have a fan in there. Not to mention if it does fail, you can always take it back. As far as the noise goes, it has a hard drive and as mentioned a fan, so no doubt it's gonna be louder. If it performs well, I wouldn't worry too much.


The drive and fan noise doesn't really bother me, but I kindly disagree about the heat. This is just a recipe for a failure. I just don't know if this is specific to my unit or a widespread issue. It's back in the box now ready to bring back. I'll see what they say at the store on Monday or Tuesday.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 3173
Location: Maryland, U.S.A

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:


hackersmovie wrote:
does it really matter if it gets hot? I wouldn't worry too much, I saw a break down of it and it does have a fan in there. Not to mention if it does fail, you can always take it back. As far as the noise goes, it has a hard drive and as mentioned a fan, so no doubt it's gonna be louder. If it performs well, I wouldn't worry too much.


The drive and fan noise doesn't really bother me, but I kindly disagree about the heat. This is just a recipe for a failure. I just don't know if this is specific to my unit or a widespread issue. It's back in the box now ready to bring back. I'll see what they say at the store on Monday or Tuesday.


I didn't mean to sound brash. I just meant that it's a new product and no one really knows what to expect. Like with AppleTV initial complaints about heat were a concern until it was realized that it's just an attribute of the product. Very possibly the same here with TimeCapsule.
_________________
Digital Marketing For Small Business
Digital Marketing Forum
Mac Repairs & Upgrades
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Posts: 5393
Location: Dunwoody, GA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that it's normal to run a little warm (like the AEBS), but I'm telling you, these temps were insane. There is a history of heat failures if you go back and read about the 2001 AEBS. Like I said before, I'll see what they say and report back. I'm back on the trusty AEBS for now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.