123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airport & Bluetooth: Off or On When Not In Use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Airport & Bluetooth: Off or On When Not In Use Reply with quote

I'm not using the Bluetooth or Airport capability at this point in time on my Mac Mini. I turned them both off thinking I would save System resources by doing so. Am I making the right choice? Does it in fact, help the Performance of the machine ? Thanks !
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turn mine off as a security consideration. I don't know whether I'm justified in worrying, but I do it anyway! Smile
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy,

ok off the wall Question from out of nowhere that does not pertain to this Subject. I have my Itunes Music on my Firewire External as well as Time Machine Backup. Every now & again while playing a song in Itunes, I get like a skip. Is that because Time Machine is backing up at that moment & I only have One Gig of Ram ?

Thanks.

Dino1956
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like hard drive activity to me, Dino. However, those 'skips' are usually more common when you're playing movie clips because of the larger amount of data that's being shifted around. Are you running any other 'hefty' applications while the music is playing? (In other words, is iTunes having to fight for processor time to do its thing?)
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itunes is not running but it's still activated in the Dock.
I don't think thats the problem. I downloaded WMP for Mac, then Uninstalled THAT disaster & downloaded VLC. I Love VLC but it's Crashing a lot. I did a search for all Windows Media Files, to make sure I got it all out and there is no left over files. So that looks good.
When I downloaded the VLC there were 2 of the same version. One 13 MB & One 23 MB. I opted for the Larger download. I may just uninstall using AppDelete & load the Smaller VLC download. Funny thing they both say they are the same Version. Like I said, I love the Program & I want to use it so I'm going to Troubleshoot. Any ideas ?
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
Itunes is not running but it's still activated in the Dock.
I don't think thats the problem. I downloaded WMP for Mac, then Uninstalled THAT disaster & downloaded VLC. I Love VLC but it's Crashing a lot. I did a search for all Windows Media Files, to make sure I got it all out and there is no left over files. So that looks good.
When I downloaded the VLC there were 2 of the same version. One 13 MB & One 23 MB. I opted for the Larger download. I may just uninstall using AppDelete & load the Smaller VLC download. Funny thing they both say they are the same Version. Like I said, I love the Program & I want to use it so I'm going to Troubleshoot. Any ideas ?

Hey Dino, the version of VLC I offer on my site comes in at 23.5Mb. It is the very same .dmg file I used to install it on all 5 of my Macs. You may want to try the file I have available as it is known to work. . .

Worth a shot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I just downloaded the 13 MB one & same thing. It crashes sometimes. Gives a Log report.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: