123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone using both PC and Mac?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sync wrote:
I will probably get Fusion. But decoding HD video can be fairly demanding and I doubt I'll get good results for that in Fusion.

Just out of interest why do you need to decode HD video in windows?
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
sync

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
sync wrote:
I will probably get Fusion. But decoding HD video can be fairly demanding and I doubt I'll get good results for that in Fusion.

I can't find a Mac video player that has the features I want. I guess I'm pretty particular. I tried at least eight Windows players before I found one I like.
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sync wrote:
trustory wrote:
sync wrote:

I can't find a Mac video player that has the features I want. I guess I'm pretty particular. I tried at least eight Windows players before I found one I like.

What features are you after in particular and what player do you use in windows?
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
sync

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
What features are you after in particular and what player do you use in windows?

I use Zoom Player in Windows.

One of the main features is the ability to have infinite resizing of the video in full screen mode. I think Cellulo had that but it takes 30 seconds to load an mkv file and then playback was not smooth. XBMC has the resizing feature but it isn't implemented in a way that I find usable.

I want a player that makes it easy to forward and backward in the video with precise control while displaying the time. You'd think tis would be simple but I haven't found any Mac program that handles it anywhere near as well as Zoom Player.

Another thing is a display for choosing video files that is suitable for home theater use on a tv. The only two I've seen that are good are XBMX and Front Row. But FR only shows a few characters of the title and devotes most of the space to cover art.

The last think I can think of right now is that if you don't finish a video the player should remember the position the next time you play it. XBMC can do that.

XBMC is the best Mac player I've seen so far and hopefully some day it will meet my needs.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
... but you can run almost any flavour of Linux seamlessly on your Mac using Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion, and I have tried three of them with good success. I run WinXP on my Mac, but use it only for statistical applications that I can no longer get for the Mac. Two that I use, Statistica and Systat, haven't been updated for the Mac for more than 10 years and the old versions only run in Classic mode, which doesn't run on Leopard.

The one thing I love/hate about Macs is also their strongest point for software compatibility, the fact that they only come from one company. Linux can run on anything, also if I have a gaming PC Linux will have more room on a full size HDD than on a laptop HDD (plan on getting a MacBook).

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
memsis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use my pc simply for gaming, storage and for video editing(and thats only cuz my mac mini doesnt have the HD space). im trying to move accross to mac after a decade of solid PC use. all my multimedia stuff like photoshop and dreamweaver is done my mac. its just easier to use. and it also means i avoid the stain on the matress that is Vista. Cool
snolan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Windows Apps vs Mac Apps Reply with quote

This comes down to a comfort and familiarity issue for me.

I use Mac OS X mostly, as I generally prefer the applications on OS X (Mail, Excel, Pages, Keynote, OmniGraffle, Safari, Firefox, Adium, VLC).

I occasionally have to use Windows XP to run an obsolete version of Internet Explorer for website testing, or to run a proprietary application for my home security system, updating my Garmin, reading my Suunto dive computer...

I use Synergy to drive both machines side-by-side with the same keyboard and mouse, and to share a cut & paste buffer between the two machines (very useful). I cannot recommend Synergy enough. I use it to drive multiple Macs and Linux boxes too.

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

The beauty of using Synergy in this manner is that you can have both the Windows and the Mac machine side by side, display stuff on two screens, and gradually move your stuff wherever you like to run them.

Some applications work equally well on both platforms (Excel, Firefox, VLC) and I tend to run them wherever I have the most free CPU cycles and pull their data off a network shared drive.

Other applications only work on one of the two platforms - so I use them exclusively on that platform.

OS X Mail.app (comes with every Mac) so totally blows the doors off any Windows mail client, that I choose to use that to read even my Outlook/Exchange mail at companies I work for.

Likewise Adium (multi-service IM/chat client) and OmniGraffle (design/layout/map application - better than Visio) are so damned good that I'd buy any computer to run them over the competition - that they both run on Macs is just a convenience for me.

Pages vs Word on Mac vs Word on Windows? Jury is still out. They all work; though Pages stores more efficiently and Word has better page numbering.

Keynote vs Powerpoint? too close to call.

Excel is vastly more feature rich than Numbers, but Mac Excel is vastly better than PC Excel IMHO. More reliable, better standards compliance.

You have to be your own judge, the good news is you can drive them side by side with Synergy, which is free. A cheap Windows laptop is price competitive with VMWare Fusion and Windows license; and it does not tie up your Mac doing silly PC work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Signal2Noise

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Snolan wins the 'Holy Thread Resurrection!' of the Day award. Very Happy

Fwiw, since this topic is being revived....my Mini is primarily used for email, iTunes, iWorks, and iPhone app development. The occasional graphics as well using LightWave (3D animation), Dreamweaver (web), and some other stuff. Everything else including gaming I rely on my Core i5 Windows 7 machine.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bite. I do Windows Software development on a PC at work, but at home I have been steadily moving my personal PC into the Parallels VM on my Mac Mini. Of course, I can't do Visual Studio dot Net on the Mac! (Or can I? I understand Mono lets you do dot net development from OS/X). I've never forgiven Microsoft for sticking it to us in migrating from XP to Windows 7 so I am determined to move as much of my PC life as possible to the Mac Mini and VM.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
I've never forgiven Microsoft for sticking it to us in migrating from XP to Windows 7

It was an extraordinarily arrogant attitude for Microsoft to adopt.

Why on earth alienate the largest portion of the OS market by forcing them to go through backup hoops etc..

To my way of thinking...I can only say, it was a deliberate decision by Ballmer to punish XP users for their reaction to Vista.

Unfortunately the very success of XP and peoples desire to hold onto that OS must be giving Microsoft nightmares..

Aqua

Personally, I never migrated my files. I simply partitioned the drive into 3 parts.

P1 for XP

P2 for Data

P3 Windows 7

Works like a charm.

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: