123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference between a hub and a switch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Difference between a hub and a switch? Reply with quote

I have a 10Mbps ethernet hub in the attic which I was going to drag out of hibernation and play around with. Before I do, I was curious to see how much 100Mbps hubs cost these days, but when I searched, I got some hubs and some switches. Anybody know the difference?
aj

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that you're asking this question tells me you're unlikely to be familliar with the OSI model so I'll keep it simple.

A Hub just repeats data it receives to all connected devices
A switch delivers packets only to the connected device it was intended for.

Given that you have a finite amount of network bandwidth, you will get more out of that bandwidth with a switch just passing a packet to the correct device rather than broadcasting it to every other connected device.

Switches can have more intelligence than that and can do some other tricks depending on how advanced (and expensive) they are but simply, I'd imagine that this answers your question in the most relevant way
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you aj. It would seem that a switch is like a sorting office, whereas a hub is more like a radio transmitter.
WizardFusion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone explained to me this way...

In a room full of people...
A HUB will shout so that everyone hears,
A SWITCH will talk directly to the person it needs.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how does a router fit in this mix?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:

A router connects two subnets to each other - usually a home LAN and the internet.

A router would be a person standing at the door hearing conversations from the other room, and then relay the relevant information directly to the correct person inside the room. People inside the room who wanted to speak to the other room would tell their information to the router standing at the door and he would relay it to the other room.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:

A router connects two subnets to each other - usually a home LAN and the internet.

A router would be a person standing at the door hearing conversations from the other room, and then relay the relevant information directly to the correct person inside the room. People inside the room who wanted to speak to the other room would tell their information to the router standing at the door and he would relay it to the other room.

Very cool Clunk! I thought it was needed because it "fits in the mix" of the discussion. (I knew what it was, Just couldn't think of a good description to fit)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: