123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My New Addition (G3 iMac)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marka87uk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: My New Addition (G3 iMac) Reply with quote

Got quite a bargain on the 'bay today in my home town... A 500MHz, 30GB HD, 128MB RAM, iMac - with the Pro keyboard and mouse - all for £26! Smile

I was quite lucky with the spec, as they didn't really know too much about Mac's and hadn't listed all of the details, but I took a chance it would be okay... and it was! I've worked out that it's the iMac G3/500 DV Special Edition (Summer 2000) edition, in graphite.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_dv_se_500.html

It's running OS 9, and I've set up MacMAME, so that's its use at the moment, however I would like to connect it to the Internet. Unfortunately, both the Netgear and Belkin wireless adaptors I have do not work with it, so is the better choice an Airport? Does anyone know how to tell which version of the Airport is correct for this model? Cool

Pictures soon hopefully! Smile
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an old iMac (G3, 500Mhz, 512MB, 20GB HD) - with 10.4. I got it for free, and it is almost useless compared to our newer Macs, but it is iconic, so I kept it Very Happy. I can't resist the Indigo.

I bought a wireless ethernet bridge. It is the same price as an original AirPort with the adapter and it can be used with anything with a LAN port.

-jb
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can add the original Airport card. Just not "Extreme" and you'll need the Airport card adapter if it is not included. All in all, I'd say go with the Airport card, I added the same one to my iBook G3 and couldn't be happier. I think I paid about $35 U.S. for it. Works like a charm and it retains that "factory" look and feel.

My 2 cents. . . or pence. . . Wink
robinscruffy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Nice find Very Happy In a heart break I would definitely go for a Special Edition one with the 700MHz G3 processor. I feel that the G3 iMacs were the most fun looking if not the best.
- iPod Touch 8GB

Visit www.thebigapples.net Very Happy Podcasts, Videos & more Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
you can add the original Airport card. Just not "Extreme" and you'll need the Airport card adapter if it is not included. All in all, I'd say go with the Airport card, I added the same one to my iBook G3 and couldn't be happier. I think I paid about $35 U.S. for it. Works like a charm and it retains that "factory" look and feel.

The problem is is that we need an adapter for the AirPort - that is another $30 easy.

I thought the bridge was nice because it will work with anything and if you decide to get rid of the iMac, you aren't out $70. For me, I thought it was ridiculous to pay that much for something I got for free.

-jb
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
marka87uk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here she is... go Pacman! Cool

(Sorry for the not-so-good pic!)

Thanks for the help regarding the Airport; I'll look into a wireless bridge. Very Happy
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbstingray wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:

The problem is is that we need an adapter for the AirPort - that is another $30 easy.

I thought the bridge was nice because it will work with anything and if you decide to get rid of the iMac, you aren't out $70. For me, I thought it was ridiculous to pay that much for something I got for free.

-jb
Agreed! However, I have found the airport card WITH the adapter for around $35 on Ebay and other sites in the past. I'm just one of those guys who prefers to keep things "original" if possible. I'll pay extra just to do it as well. I know most people don't and prefer to save the cash which I completely understand. I was just putting another option out there. And the OP asked which Airport card would or wouldn't work anyway. . . 2 more pence!
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a pretty awesome deal! A really nice catch! Seems like people try to exploit the lack of availability of the legacy hardware.

Trust me, I was a huge advocate of getting the original hardware, but when push came to shove, I ended up with the Linksys bridge.

Either way, it has a wireless connection!

-jb

EDIT: In that pic, it looks like the power button glows green - is that for realsies or is the camera playing tricks on me?
marka87uk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In that pic, it looks like the power button glows green - is that for realsies or is the camera playing tricks on me?

It does glow green; albeit, not as bright as the picture makes out! Shouldn't it?! Confused
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marka87uk wrote:
Quote:
In that pic, it looks like the power button glows green - is that for realsies or is the camera playing tricks on me?

It does glow green; albeit, not as bright as the picture makes out! Shouldn't it?! Confused
It should! Mine does as well. . . and Orange when she's sleepin' Wink
marka87uk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that! Smile

Hmmm I'm assuming it won't run OS X exceptionally well, but can you suggest a version which the G3 will run okay with? OS 9 isn't too bad, but a lot of software isn't made for it anymore and I feel I could probably get more out of it with OS X!

Also, I know this gets asked quite a few times, but any other ideas on what I could do with it? Smile

There's a high-pitched sound when it's turned off - which after a bit of Googling seems that it could be something related to the CRT - a slight niggle but I can't really complain - I just turn it off at the wall when it's not in use! Confused
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one who has owned 4 G3 iMacs in the past, I can say that you would be lucky to find a lister who would sell an original Airport card with the adapter at a reasonable price. Most will separate them and charge unreasonable prices for each. You'll find the price offered on eBay to be higher than buying an extreme new. If you are able, your best bet is to wire the G3 to your router, if you don't want to get the ethernet bridge mentioned earlier.

It's a fun machine, I kind of miss having one.

I still have my adaptor sitting around here somewhere.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marka87uk wrote:
Glad to hear that! Smile

Hmmm I'm assuming it won't run OS X exceptionally well, but can you suggest a version which the G3 will run okay with? OS 9 isn't too bad, but a lot of software isn't made for it anymore and I feel I could probably get more out of it with OS X!

Also, I know this gets asked quite a few times, but any other ideas on what I could do with it? Smile

There's a high-pitched sound when it's turned off - which after a bit of Googling seems that it could be something related to the CRT - a slight niggle but I can't really complain - I just turn it off at the wall when it's not in use! Confused
I'm running OS 10.4.11 on mine! main and web browsing is fine, iTunes is o.k., it will even stream iTunes radio! You will need to install XpostFacto available from OWC (it's free) but it will run Tiger at least!
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
marka87uk wrote:
Glad to hear that! Smile

I'm running OS 10.4.11 on mine! main and web browsing is fine, iTunes is o.k., it will even stream iTunes radio! You will need to install XpostFacto available from OWC (it's free) but it will run Tiger at least!

I have 10.4 as well - but no XPostFacto... what exactly is that for? I have OS X running on it natively, so maybe I don't really need it (guessing by what I have read).

My iMac's indicator light is white all the time - solid when it is on and the gradual "throbbing" when it is asleep. I wonder why mine is different!

-jb

EDIT: I guess my iMac isn't as old as I thought - it is the Summer 2001 model. Hackersmovie, yours is the original BondiBlue, so yours is the classic one.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_500_indigo.html

That is mine. Glad I got that figured out!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a letter in MacUser a few months back from someone who had bought a tangerine G3 iMac from eBay for £40, and then given it as a gift to a friend. The friend was so taken with the colour and styling that he/she restyled their office to match the centrepiece iMac and became a devoted Mac user thereafter!

A good day's work for £40!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: