123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Apple TV "Take Two" Software Update
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Apple Releases Apple TV "Take Two" Software Update Reply with quote

Apple Releases Apple TV "Take Two" Software Update
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Posted by: Glenn

Apple has released the "Take Two" software update for the Apple TV. The free update is available for existing Apple TV owners by selecting the "Update Software" option under the "Settings" menu. Primary new features in this update include the ability to rent HD and standard definition movies, the ability to purchase items from the iTunes Store directly from the Apple TV, Flickr and .Mac photo browsing, and the ability to browse the iTunes Podcast directory. Movie rentals are $2.99 for library titles and $3.99 for new releases, and high definition versions are just one dollar more with library titles at $3.99 and new releases at $4.99. Movies can be kept for 30 days, but expire within 24 hours of playback.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/885.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My upgrade failed the first time, but it went ok on the second attempt. Man, the new UI is a little busier than I thought it would be in person. It's going to take some getting used to. I'm really digging the new podcast section though. The new Apple TV opening is super cool too! Cool

Last edited by Ben Tex on Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex have you got streaming radio to work? I heard it works by adding it to your music selection in this version.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could care really less about the movie rentals, but I might just buy one now that AirTunes support has been added for music.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
Ben_Tex have you got streaming radio to work? I heard it works by adding it to your music selection in this version.

I've read that it works, but haven't tried yet. I'm in the middle of a sync now and it's going very slow. I'll let you know when it's done.
idave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't care that much for the new Apple 2.0 interface. It's busy and time consuming to buy stuff with. They should have made the buying experience more like the Wi-Fi music store on the iPhone and iPod touch. It just takes so long going through all of the menus on the Apple TV to listen and buy something. You have to navigate to each song on an album for example to listen or buy, and then back out of it to go on to the next. It's kind of hard to explain this process, but I think you'll understand once you play around with it. I also find the text to be a little on the small side below the cover art on the "Top" pages. It's really hard to read from across the room. I'm also disappointed with the video quality of my first HD rental. I rented Evan Almighty and it looks worse than a regular upscaled DVD on my 42" TV.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the new interface main screen is
CRAP! After the great intro I was expecting to be wowed.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radio works just fine Tony. Are you having trouble getting it to work?

By the way, I'm not that crazy about the new main screen either. I also agree with iDave about the size of the text in some of the subsections. Personally, I prefer the list view like the movie trailer section uses. I think they should've just used that format across the board. Showing all the DVD covers and artwork in a row really isn't necessary. It's really like the movie trailer section in Front Row 1.0. If your going to use cover art like that, why not make them big in a Cover Flow type window? I think Apple forgot that most people will be sitting across the room from their Apple TV. This isn't a desktop application. Well, not unless they turn this interface into the new Front Row again.
technologist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Apple TV Take2 intro video:

http://rapidshare.de/files/38562191/Intro.mp4.html
Mr.187

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why! The front-end was fine, and now they have changed it to something that looks basic. No rentals in the UK, what a surprise.......didn't expect much as the TV content in the UK iTunes is poor too.

Had: Core Duo Mac Mini, 30GB Video iPod,ATV and the Apple Hi-Fi.
Mr.187

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

Had: Core Duo Mac Mini, 30GB Video iPod,ATV and the Apple Hi-Fi.

Last edited by Mr.187 on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_tex wrote:
Radio works just fine Tony. Are you having trouble getting it to work?

By the way, I'm not that crazy about the new main screen either. I also agree with iDave about the size of the text in some of the subsections. Personally, I prefer the list view like the movie trailer section uses. I think they should've just used that format across the board. Showing all the DVD covers and artwork in a row really isn't necessary. It's really like the movie trailer section in Front Row 1.0. If your going to use cover art like that, why not make them big in a Cover Flow type window? I think Apple forgot that most people will be sitting across the room from their Apple TV. This isn't a desktop application. Well, not unless they turn this interface into the new Front Row again.

I can't get the radio function to work. I've tried dragging it to it's own playlist straight from the itunes radio list. Do I have do do something with it's URL?
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I messed around with the new version for about 3 hours last night. I think Apple took a couple steps backwards here and there with the user interface, but they also took ten giant leaps forward with the feature-set. I might actually start using this thing on a regular basis now. And the podcast section is probably the biggest reason why. It's awesome having all my favorites there without being tethered to one of my Macs.

I can't really comment on the quality of the new HD rentals. There really aren't that many there to choose from. But the quality of some of the new HD trailers was most impressive. Wall-E and the Bucket List come to mind as being outstanding.
iLife's a Bitch!
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
I can't get the radio function to work. I've tried dragging it to it's own playlist straight from the itunes radio list. Do I have do do something with it's URL?

I just created a regular playlist called Radio Stations again (used to have one for Front Row) and started to drag them over. You can name the playlist whatever you want though. Try playing one of the streams in the iTunes playlist before you sync it over. By the way, it appears that you can only do this with your synced computer. It doesn't appear to work with a shared iTunes library.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no support for 4:3 TVs... Sad
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: