123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SuperDuper! Adds Leopard Support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: SuperDuper! Adds Leopard Support Reply with quote

SuperDuper! Adds Leopard Support
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Posted by: Charles

Shirt Pocket today announced the release of SuperDuper! 2.5, a new version of their popular backup and archival utility for Mac OS X. New features and improvements in this release include:

- Full Leopard support
- The ability to store a bootable backup side-by-side with a Time Machine backup on a single volume
- The ability to copy Time Machine backup volumes to other drive when you need more space (or want to back up your archived data)
- "Run Now" button for scheduled copies
- Automatic preservation of any custom icon on the destination volume
- Improved Spotlight handling
- Performance and other improvements

SuperDuper! 2.5 requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later. The download weighs in at 2.7MB.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/879.html
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! But I must admit that I've fallen in love with CCC again. I'll still give the TM stuff a lookover though. It sounds most handy.
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right in thinking the "User Guide" has not been updated yet?
I can find no mention of any of the new Leopard features, pertaining to Time Machine, like how to make your TM backup bootable.

jb.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb wrote:
Am I right in thinking the "User Guide" has not been updated yet?

I believe you are. I set aside the User Guide for reading on the bus today, and sure enough, there was zero mention of the new features. Almost a year since the last revision, and 3 months since they announced they're working on a Leopard version, and no one bothered to update the User Guide.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think SD was better than CCC until CCC 3.0.1 came out. I'm very happy with its features and it has been Leopard-compatible for months. Both are excellent programs.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I think SD was better than CCC until CCC 3.0.1 came out.

I agree. CCC also gives you everything for free. I'm still going to play around the new SD. It will also be interesting to see what, if anything, new Apple brings to TM in 10.5.2.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched over to CCC for Leopard as well and it is pretty good. I'll switch back to Superduper though. I applaud that Shirt Pocket didn't rush the Leopard copy out as they want it to play well with Time Machine. I was previously very happy with Superduper for Tiger and CCC isn't going to keep me just because they were first out with a Leopard compatible app. Supporting CCC for this alone (and that would be my only reason) is wrong and it just promotes companies to release software prematurely.

Hurray Shirt Pocket!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I switched over to CCC for Leopard as well and it is pretty good. I'll switch back to Superduper though. I applaud that Shirt Pocket didn't rush the Leopard copy out as they want it to play well with Time Machine. I was previously very happy with Superduper for Tiger and CCC isn't going to keep me just because they were first out with a Leopard compatible app. Supporting CCC for this alone (and that would be my only reason) is wrong and it just promotes companies to release software prematurely.

Well said Bandit. It seems like people are being a little hard on Shirt Pocket. I'm more than willing to give the new version a look-over and chance. That being said, it's disturbing to hear that they didn't update the User Guide.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa Bill; it almost sounds like you are accusing CCC of being rushed out the door. The new version has not been buggy, and it actually added new features to the previous version. I have nothing against ShirtPocket for taking their time to "get it right" (assuming it is right), but the fact that Carbon Copy Cloner was the first to come out with a Leopard version doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. Feature for feature, they seem pretty comparable. And both seem to have treated users pretty well: SD by making a lower feature version free and CCC by being lower cost and making it free to university affiliates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: