123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting Wirelessly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MACCA68

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Connecting Wirelessly Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Newbie here.
I bought a macmini about 10 months ago and love it.
I was using a cable modem but have now moved to a property that has wireless asdl throughout the buliding (BT).
I have been given the WEP security code by the owner of the property but cannot connect to the wireless internet.
My mac has Airport built into it.
Do i need an additional bit of hardware like the Airport extreme to connect?
Ive tried to research this online but have not found a clear answer,Please help.T.I.A.
Poison Apple

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MACCA68,

Were you using the Air Port with your cable modem, or the Ethernet connection? Is your Air Port turned on? You may want to ask for the channel number and set that manually. You wrote

"I was using a cable modem but have now moved to a property that has wireless asdl throughout the buliding (BT)."

BT is not Bluetooth is it? If it is then the the Air Port is not going to do you any good?

I was using the built in Air Port to access my home WiFi, but I've since connected my DSL modem directly to the Mini and now I use my Air Port to share my Built In Ethernet connection with my laptop. After a little work I was also able to share my printer with my laptop via the Air Port. That allowed me to remove another piece of equipment (my wireless router).
Dell E228WFP Dispaly
Monsoon Speaker System
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No BT is British Telecom - the ex state owned telco that still own most of the network.

Back to the problem.

1. No, you do not need any other equipment.

2 You need the following info.

SSID of the wireless network (name of it)
The WEP key
To have your airport card turned on
To have your airport card set to use DHCP

It is possible that if the wireless is set up properly, you will have to provide your airports MAC address (Network\Advanced\Airport ID) so that it can be added to the trusted wireless stations on the router.

It is also possible that the DHCP scope is full or that it is using fixed IP, either way it will need to be increased or they will have to tell you the network address to use.
Mac SE 8Mhz, 2MB, 40GB Seagate, 6.07
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: