123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boot camp gaming issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dingo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Boot camp gaming issues Reply with quote

I've tried the following four games in bootcamp (XP Home SP2) and had bad luck with all of them:

1. Half Life 2. The game loads and runs fine for awhile, then crashes to desktop. Clearly VRAM is not a problem, as the game runs very smoothly with absolutely no lag on low settings. But after a few minutes of play it crashes. I've looked at the troubleshooting guide at Steam and the number of possible causes is more or less infinite. I'm a little disappointed as others have reported success with this game.

2. HL2 Death Match. This game launched and then catastrophically crashed my machine. I had to hard boot it and wound up wiping the drive clean and reinstalling OSX. Needless to say I haven't tried it again.

3. Quake II. An old favorite of mine; this game also crashed my machine and I had to hard boot. And I didn't even get the game installed! I might try using the fruitz of dojo mac patch to run it on OSX.

4. Morrowind (and expansions). This game installed fine and started fine, and even plays fine. However, there is something not supported (pixel shading or some crap) that cannot be turned off in the options, and so the water looks white and characters are not always rendered well. This is an old game and I was again disappointed.

I post this here hoping someone has some advice on these issues but if not, perhaps it can serve as a warning to others. I will continue researching to see if the above issues can be resolved; I think it comes down not to "horsepower," of which the mini has plenty, but to "eye candy" that is not supported by the GMA 950 chipset.
Acer 20" WS
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok there has been problems with the boot camp drivers.

Go to http://www.intel.com/ and download the latest gma intel chipset drivers. Intel has a utility that tells you all the intel products inside the mac mini. The graphics card driver is all you need though do not install the graphics card driver from the leopard disk instead download the driver from intel then right click the leopard disk and select open then select the drivers folder and install all of the drivers manually this will fix everything.

However half life 2 will not play because of the intel gma chipset sorry.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also on another note.

Use the fruitz of dojo patch for quake it works better in mac os x.
dingo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, the FoD patch is awesome; QII runs beautifully (although installing the PC version into OSX was a little tricky).

I tested the mini at Can You Run It? (http://www.srtest.com/referrer/srtest) and it says I should be able to run HL2 just fine so I'll try it one more time after installing the latest drivers from intel. If that don't work I suppose I'll let it go and play something else like return to wolfenstein.
Acer 20" WS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: