123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacBook Air Review Roundup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: MacBook Air Review Roundup Reply with quote

MacBook Air Review Roundup
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Posted by: Brian

Well, some of the early reviews are starting to come in for the MacBook Air. The reviews are from Walt Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal, Edward Baig of USA Today, and Steven Levy of Newsweek. You know, the guys that always get the shiny new goodies from Apple early. Overall, they were impressed with the MacBook Air's design, build quality and size, but also go on to mention its shortcomings. Here are the links and final few lines from each review:

Wall Street Journal
Walt Mossberg writes, "If you value thinness, and a large screen and keyboard in a subnotebook, and don't watch DVDs on planes or require spare batteries, the MacBook Air might be just the ticket. But if you rely on spare batteries, expect the usual array of ports, or like to play DVDs on planes, this isn't the computer to buy."

Newsweek
Steven Levy writes, "Though I can quibble with a few of Apple's choices of what to take off, the product's dimensions and design make the case that the losses were not in vain. The things that Apple left on were the ingredients for a quality computer. And, did I mention how thin it is?"

USA Today
Edward Baig writes, "Given the compromises, I don't expect anyone to use Air as their only computer. But it is a yummy machine for people who spend a lot of time traveling."

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/870.html
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings about the MacBook Air, but that's pretty neat seeing it slid underneath the door in the News Week video. Man, I can barely slide my Dell underneath a bed. It has an optical drive though. Smile
Jeffy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still looking for these questions to be answered.

1. Does the case and screen flex a lot?
2. Where the speakers located and how do they sound? I'm beating they face backwards and sound poorly like the MacBook.
3. How warm does it run?
4. What's the Xbench score for the little 1.8" HDD?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Pogue's review and video? I always get a kick out of his stuff.
stupkid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. How warm does it run?

Well just from my first 10 second glance at the Wallstreet article it does NOT run hot. So, they answered that question...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: