123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPod Touch Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: iPod Touch Question Reply with quote

i've been trying to find out if the Touch allows you to record audio ?

I record my Uni lectures, trying to way up if a touch will do what I need for Uni or if I should buy a notebook. Ideally I want something small and portable (smaller than a notebook).

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: iPod Touch Question Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
i've been trying to find out if the Touch allows you to record audio ?

I record my Uni lectures, trying to way up if a touch will do what I need for Uni or if I should buy a notebook. Ideally I want something small and portable (smaller than a notebook).

My guess is no at this point! There are several voice recorders out there that work with the Classic iPods (Nano, 5G w/Video) from Griffin, Belkin, and Xtrememac that would be able to plug in to Touch but its the software that would need to be on the iPod Touch in order to make it work! I would bet that once the Apple SDK comes out in February we will start seeing this voice recording capablity come to the Touch.

Of course there may already be a jailbreak option already available!?!? But I would prefer to wait!
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Doug Eldred
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, I'd buy an inexpensive small digital voice recorder. I certainly wouldn't buy a notebook just to record audio, nor would I buy a second iPod to do so. Even though I own an iPod touch (and a second generation Nano) I doubt that I'd try to shoehorn audio recording into that. YMMV.

Doug
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies guys.

I do have an Olympus Digital Voice Recorder which works really well, the only downside is it needs a PC to get the files off it. Sad

However laast year I started using my Windows Laptop to record lectures (as well as the voice recorder as a backup) The laptop was far superior as it also allowed me to record whilst typing notes. and the notes indexed the audio. This means I can click on say Section 3's notes and Section 3s audio starts playing instantly. No need to fast forward through the files.

I'm after a similar solution on the Mac if thats possible, just wondered if the Touch would be a cheaper option for me as I want one anyway Razz

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPods All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: