123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elgato Releases EyeTV 3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Elgato Releases EyeTV 3 Reply with quote

Elgato Releases EyeTV 3
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Posted by: Glenn

Elgato Systems today announced the release of EyeTV 3, an extensive update to its multiple award-winning EyeTV television software. In addition to a new, intuitive user interface, the software offers an extended program guide featuring intelligent searching and recording functionality, numerous new network features, and additional highlights. A full version of EyeTV 3 is available for $79.95, owners of EyeTV 2 can obtain the upgrade at a reduced price of $39.95. Also new from Elgato at Macworld 2008 are updates to the EyeTV Hybrid and EyeTV 250 Plus television receivers, which now extend reception of over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and analogue cable channels with reception of unencrypted digital cable (Clear QAM) channels.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/864.html
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QAM in the Hybrid was the major stumbling block for me. I'm glad they've figured this one out Smile
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little disappointed with the upgrade price, but it sounds like an awesome update. I can't wait to give it a whirl later on tonight.
Pleiades
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week El Gato has between $30 and $50 off of various hardware of theirs as Macworld specials. You don't have to be present, as it's on their online store too.

Now the hybrid is even _more_ tempting.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClunkClunk wrote:
This week El Gato has between $30 and $50 off of various hardware of theirs as Macworld specials. You don't have to be present, as it's on their online store too.

Now the hybrid is even _more_ tempting.

I thought about getting a Turbo.264 before to help speed my ripping up. It looks like they have them on sale for $70. I would have to look around, but that sounds like a good price. I wonder if they have free shipping? I didn't click through to the cart.
zuzu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
I thought about getting a Turbo.264 before to help speed my ripping up. It looks like they have them on sale for $70. I would have to look around, but that sounds like a good price. I wonder if they have free shipping? I didn't click through to the cart.

My problem with this is that it does nothing for:
    cropping off letterboxing or pillarboxing
    720p or 1080p transcoding with 6-channel AAC
    deinterlacing / detelecine

These are why HandBrake is required for transcoding.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: EyeTV does not support Canadian Scheduling information Reply with quote

CANADIANS NOT SUPPORTED!
Any Canadian wishing to buy an Elgato product should be aware that EYETV does NOT support scheduling information in Canada. While Elgato claims they have been "working on it" no solution has been offered. This situation has been going on for YEARS. Even with the latest release of EyeTV 3, there is still no Canadian schedule integration.
Not having the scheduling function support severely cripples the otherwise wonderful software that this company has built.
Canadians should do a little research and consult the Elgato discussion forums to read threads on this subject and give Elgato some much needed feedback.
spankone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant upgrade atm its not working Crying or Very sad
zen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: EyeTV does not support Canadian Scheduling information Reply with quote

GreatWhite1 wrote:
CANADIANS NOT SUPPORTED!
Any Canadian wishing to buy an Elgato product should be aware that EYETV does NOT support scheduling information in Canada. While Elgato claims they have been "working on it" no solution has been offered. This situation has been going on for YEARS. Even with the latest release of EyeTV 3, there is still no Canadian schedule integration.
Not having the scheduling function support severely cripples the otherwise wonderful software that this company has built.
Canadians should do a little research and consult the Elgato discussion forums to read threads on this subject and give Elgato some much needed feedback.

Exactly! I am the proud owner of an eyetv 250 but it certainly sucks that mine is more crippled simply because I live in Canada. They have support for some countries with under half the population of Canada.

I see no need to upgrade to 3 as I just use mine to record CFL football games. I don't even have my cable active for the off season but i'm sure I would use cable more if I had the program listings. It would truly be tivo-like then..

*sigh*
gruswitz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are they ever going to get cable card support for Mac tuners? They have it for PCs now. Tivo has had it for a year. QAM just isn't available in most markets. I love the rest of the EyeTV upgrades, but PLEASE give us cable card.
zuzu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gruswitz wrote:
When are they ever going to get cable card support for Mac tuners? They have it for PCs now. Tivo has had it for a year. QAM just isn't available in most markets. I love the rest of the EyeTV upgrades, but PLEASE give us cable card.

CableCard uses QAM. Read the Ars Technica CableCard primer. Blame CableLabs for their draconian licensing requirements for their insane DRM schemes. Basically, unless you can prove your device is a "closed system" and will pay CableLabs a huge sum of money, you cannot use CableCard.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: EyeTV 250 Plus Reply with quote

I picked up a 250 Plus with EyeTV 3 at MacWorld ($50 off) and I gotta say it's made my Mini much, much sweeter. The digital tuner is even better than my TV's (Sharp Aquos). A couple of quirks in the software, but pretty awesome overall. Recommended. Can't wait for my 1080p Bravia to arrive soon, the icing on the cake. Very Happy
supernature

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: QAM is a nice addition Reply with quote

I plopped down my benjamin and got the new stick. Too bad there wasn't really an upgrade option.

One shortcoming. Channels that I receive via cable, that are not in the EyeTV channel lineup, cannot get any programming schedules received. If EyeTV either uses my custom TitanTV lineup or, like TitanTV, have the ability to manually add a channel to the lineup (or change the channel number) it would be nearly perfect. (A perfect world would be to click on auto-tune and every signal I get is automatically assigned to the appropriate channel)

Minor shortcomings would be to have an option for 2-pass and deinterlace option on all the export options.

Other than that. El Gato rocks!
kez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the new Hybrid during the MacWorld sale and it's pretty cool. It makes me want to rush out and get a Mac Mini now since I don't necessarily want to plug/unplug it to/from my MacBook. Wink

I need my MacBook for classes so leaving it home to record shows during the day isn't an option right now. Still I love my purchase, Elgato did a good job with this product.
A lot of iPods and mac accessories
Luna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of everyone who's been using this software, what's the general consensus? I just got my free upgrade and EyeTV currently works so well I'm almost afraid to upgrade it in case of any issues. Leftover anxiety from being a PC owner with an awful ATI All-In-Wonder 8500DV that refused to be updated with any new drivers... I'd always have to roll back.

Any bugs I should be aware of so far? Very Happy
160GB black classic iPod
80GB black video iPod
4GB silver iPod Mini
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: