123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Announces Software Upgrade for iPod touch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Apple Announces Software Upgrade for iPod touch Reply with quote

Apple Announces Software Upgrade for iPod touch
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today announced a major software upgrade for the iPod touch, adding five more great mobile applications to the device -- Mail, Maps, Stocks, Weather and Notes. The iPod touch software upgrade also includes new features such as Web Clips, a customizable home screen and beginning today, the ability to watch iTunes Movie Rentals. New iPod touch products shipping from the factory will include the software upgrade and existing iPod touch customers can get the software upgrade for US$19.99 by purchasing and downloading it from iTunes.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/858.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twenty bucks? What a rip! Sad
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, my touch is jailbroken tho so it already has these apps

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should not be a paid upgrade! Shame on Apple for not accounting for the iPod touch like they do with the iPhone and Apple TV. Evil or Very Mad
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini

Last edited by idave on Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This upgrades start to make the device look attractive to me. I may get one soon.
idave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
This upgrades start to make the device look attractive to me. I may get one soon.

It's become a really attractive device for new buyers. That being said, I'm a bit worried about updates going forward. It looks like they are going to treat the touch like every other iPod. I thought they would treat it more like the iPhone in this department.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was starting to consider the touch, my reason for deciding not to was the price and the lack of apps that would allow me to replace my PDA. Adding the apps might have got me to reconsider but charging extra for them when they should have been on from the start has really put me off now.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I was starting to consider the touch, my reason for deciding not to was the price and the lack of apps that would allow me to replace my PDA. Adding the apps might have got me to reconsider but charging extra for them when they should have been on from the start has really put me off now.

I think that the latest apps are installed at the factory if you're buying new. It's just the existing users that have to cough up more dough for the software announced today.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
I think that the latest apps are installed at the factory if you're buying new. It's just the existing users that have to cough up more dough for the software announced today.

I've just been checking Apples website and I think your right, it is included in new models, just existing customers who have to pay to upgrade.

I think I'll be hanging on and seeing what third party apps appear. something like OmniOutliner, OmniFocus or Things might get me really interested.

Can it record voice at the moment ?

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I think I'll be hanging on and seeing what third party apps appear. something like OmniOutliner, OmniFocus or Things might get me really interested.

Oh wow! Can you imagine a pocket-sized machine that ran OmniOutliner? Oooh, I've gone all weak at the knees! Smile
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe that Apple is charging people for this upgrade. I'm not sure of the legal reasons, but it comes off as greedy. Especially on the heels of Microsoft giving away the Zune update.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this is not technically an upgrade, as it is completely new programs for the iPod touch. This is not an update to what was included with the iPod touch at the time of the sale.

This is the same as if Apple started to sell the Macs with iWork included and you'd feel ripped off that you'd have to pay for iWork for your old Mac.

So yes, it may be annoying, but you are in fact paying for more programs (like the games), not for an update to software you already have.

In any case, now that the iPod touch officially has Mail, I might finally buy one.
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Actually this is not technically an upgrade, as it is completely new programs for the iPod touch. This is not an update to what was included with the iPod touch at the time of the sale.

Very true, but couldn't the same thing be said about the Apple TV and iPhone updates? These updates include new programs and features. Or even a completely new GUI in the case of the Apple TV. I went ahead and bought the update, but I still feel disappointed with Apple. They could have thrown us touch owners a bone on this one.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
Very true, but couldn't the same thing be said about the Apple TV and iPhone updates? These updates include new programs and features. Or even a completely new GUI in the case of the Apple TV. I went ahead and bought the update, but I still feel disappointed with Apple. They could have thrown us touch owners a bone on this one.

Yes of course, but you did purchase the iPod touch knowing that it didn't have those features.

The iPhone updates are nice, but they're updates, not new programs as such (I guess).

As for the TV, well, they did just drop the price by $70 USD, so that new "free update" was already paid for when I bought mine for a higher price. Wink

Anyway, yes, those 5 programs could've been given away as a free update, especially since there's no huge cost involved for Apple (bandwidth fees).

Even if it was free, however, the update requires an iTunes Store in your country. What about people from, say, Brazil? I saw a comment from someone who was willing to pay for the upgrade but couldn't even get it! Confused
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booo.

So iphone users get free upgrades. And you have to pay for the application for the ipod touch what a rip off.

not cool apple.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: