123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse Buyer's Guide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mati

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse Buyer's Guide Reply with quote

Since Mac Mini is BYODKM, I think that 123macmini.com should prepare some buyer's guide for people who plan to buy a Mac Mini, but don't know which monitors, mice and keyboards are the best choices. I know that Apple Monitors, Mice and Keyboards are obvious choices, but I wish to use plain PC displays, mice and keyboards to keep a low profile in my office.
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a good idea Mati, but IMHO there is already a host of information out there on the web by doing simple searches and many 123MM members include what they are using in their signatures and make recommendations in their postings. A comprehensive Buyers' Guide would probably be very hard work for the admins, but maybe a new topic as a member initiative could fill the gap Smile
A solution could probably to get the admins just to create a Byers' Guide forum with sub-forums for the separate products, for members to populate, but this might degenerate into general chats about them which are already taking place in the extant respective forums, creating even more places on the board to search for info.
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also quite a bit of personal opinion on such matters.

I believe that you should never buy a monitor without seeing it in action first, and if you can't see it, then be sure the store has a liberal return policy.

I still use an Apple Extended II keyboard, as I feel it's the greatest keyboard ever made(I have several, and once the real desk gets built the Apple Adjustable will come out of storage). Keyboards are also something that people can be quite divided over. Some don't mind mushy keys, and some prefer real switches. I expect the caps lock key to lock down, so I'm not happy with just about every keyboard out there. Don't even get me started on those MS ergo keyboards! Evil or Very Mad

Mice - Well that's about the only thing that people might agree on. I feel that mice are the only thing that Logitech can get right, and have always preferred the LT series mice when Logitech was one of the two suppliers to Apple for the ADB mice. Currently using a MX510, which replaced a MS Intellimouse(a v1 or v2) which I thought was an awesome mouse also.

Overall, either search for recommendations, or just ask. Most people here are friendly enough to offer up some suggestions.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
jazzman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
There is also quite a bit of personal opinion on such matters.

Yep, Smithy - and I think that's what matters most (pun) Very Happy
Mac+, SE30, Classic, 4400 (metal), 603, LC475, iMac bondi (3), iBk orange. In use: iBk 'ice' G3/500, PB12" G4, Mini C2D 1.83, MacBkPro 13", WiFi hub, 1 mouse & 1 keyb thru Teleport, 3 Acer 19", 1 Acer 23"
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely matters to most! Laughing

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: