123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1st Impressions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vongalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: 1st Impressions Reply with quote

New to AppleTV. Here are my first impressions:

1. Shipping - 5 stars - 2 days from China to my house on the East Coast. Amazing.

2. Packaging - 5 stars - it's from Apple so you know it's going to be packed very well. The designers of the packaging should get a raise.

3. Setup - 4.9 stars - only reason it isn't a 5 is because I couldn't find the MAC address anywhere on the unit or any documentation. I could only see it AFTER I connected to my wireless network - BUT - I had to disable my MAC filtering so I could connect to see the MAC Wink No biggie really.

4. Syncing - 4.9 stars - again, it connected perfectly. iTunes found it (PC w/Vista). My only gripe is that it defaulted to "Sync all music" - I have a very, very large collection of MP3s - not going to happen over wireless. As soon as iTunes opened, it started syncing. I didn't see a stop or cancel and the little "x" was missing from inside the iTunes window. I yanked the plug. Defaults to manual would've been nicer.

Because of location, I had to do the initial setup via wireless on the TV. Once that was complete I moved the unit to computer room and connected it via wired.

Once it was wired, I reopened my iTunes and let the sync happen - much faster than the wireless.

First impressions are 5 stars. Great device. Connected to a 42" Bravia w/a Bravia theatre stand (7.1 w/2 subs) it sounds freakin awesome. Not sure what took me so long to order.

More later as I discover more and have time to enjoy it...
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Impressions Reply with quote

#1 always amazes me.

Congrats on the new Apple TV! It sounds like you are off to a nice start. I also do better over Ethernet with syncing. I need to put a new 802.11n router on my shopping list soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: