123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Join current wireless network:IP Configuration Red stop sign

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cobender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Join current wireless network:IP Configuration Red stop sign Reply with quote

just bought a macmini and have tried to join it to my current wireless network, which is qwest dsl provided by 2wire294 modem/router.

although the macmini senses the network and displays the network name with a check mark next to the name, when i click on Safari, the screen tells me that the macmini is not connected to the internet. the wireless is working fine (i have a laptop 6 feet away from the macmini and it hooks up without a problem). Have spent over 2.5 hours with the Qwest people. They can't figure it out.

a warning pop up window displays IP Configuration with a red stop sign and white exclamation mark message along with the IP address of the macmini.

any thoughts?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few questions which might help sort out your problem.

What is the IP address of your mini and of your laptop ?
What is the IP Address of the router?

Does your router have Mac Address filtering turned on , or WPA WEP security etc.

Is your mini set to auto assigned IP Address and auto assigned DNS

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
cobender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: thanks, Cypher, for your help... Reply with quote

Am sorry to say I am traveling right now with my laptop, unable to answer your questions precisely. I return home late tomorrow afternoon and will give you answers ASAP. I don't think I have used the Apple filter. Should I?

Laptop is a PC, IP address is 192.168.1.107. I had the macmini problem even when the laptop was not on. We only checked that the wireless internet was working via the laptop to verify that the problem was not with the router.

The guy at Qwest has asked me to hook the macmini directly via cable to the modem to check and see if it can even hook up to the internet. Am hesitant to do that because it involves a bunch of disconnecting and plugging, etc and, to me, the probability is very low that that is the problem. Do you think I should go to the trouble?
cobender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: oh yea...WEP Reply with quote

WEP is enabled...have to put in the keycode to get access to the wireless network.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to see what IP address the mini is picking up.
It could well be that:
1. the DHCP scope on the router is not large enough to dish out an address.
2. the router has "Trusted wireless" stations set, in which case you would need to add the MAC address of the airport card to your routers trusted stations.
3. The Mini has a fixed IP address, which could well be out of the IP range of the router.
Mac SE 8Mhz, 2MB, 40GB Seagate, 6.07
cobender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: thank you, doctor Reply with quote

i believe the ip address for the mini is distinct from the pc laptop. shall verify. more info tomorrow night.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can post the additional info tomorrow one of us should be able to help you sort out where the problem lies.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question.

Did qwest setup your laptop to the router.

Because if they did they might have used your laptop mac address to connect to the internet which means your mac mini might not connect at all unless it has the proper mac address.
cobender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: mac man...thanks for your input, too Reply with quote

qwest did not help me set up the lap top.

lap top is a pc and i use a wireless card that senses wireless networks and can usually connect without a problem.

notably, before i bot the macmini, i bot an airport express to hook up my harmon kardon soundsticks (which by the way are awesome!) wirelessly. However, have been unable to make that airport express a client of the wireless network as well.

don't want to confuse the issue, however, it may add good info to solving the macmini problem or it may be the same problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: